muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat!!!!

Options

Replies

• Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think for the most part we all understand that a pound is a pound, but muscle weighs more as in it takes less space but is more dense than fat.

Thank you!!!!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    So, we all agree that muscle weighs more than fat, right?
  • midnightsukie
    midnightsukie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    : I'm not so sure.

Maybe someone should just explain it one more time..... :drinker:
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with saying fat weighs less than muscle. It is inferred that you are referring to a proportionate volume.

If someone said "a pound of fat weighs less than a pound of muscle," well then we have an issue.
  • Smittyinthesun2
    Options
    I agree about the starvation mode, get over it, its one of those buzz words people use. Im sure that there are many of us who could afford to skip a meal or two every week and we wont freaking pass out because of it ! The reason many of us are is becasue we want to become healthier by losing weight. The drama is all about the why and the how.

I believe, have a sensable diet of 2000 calories, drink water, cut down on sweets, junk food and soda and move your body by walking, cycling, jump roping whatever for at least 30- 60 minutes a day and I guarentee you will lose weight.

Maybe it wont come off as fast as you want, but it will come off, and stop will all this BS about starvation mode !

If you want to see starvation look on line at pictures of starving children in Africa or some other 3rd world countries, I doubt many of you are in danger of looking like that because you skipped breakfast or lunch on Tuesday!
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options

yup i think thats what we're getting from this
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

yup i think thats what we're getting from this

Oh good. I'm glad we can all finally agree on something.

Now, what does everyone think of diet soda?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you want to see starvation look on line at pictures of starving children in Africa or some other 3rd world countries, I doubt many of you are in danger of looking like that because you skipped breakfast or lunch on Tuesday!

Eloquently put! LOL!
  • kailyamie
    kailyamie Posts: 130
    Options
    Honestly? Do you need a whole thread to tell people that pound is a pound? When people say that muscle weighs more than fat they mean by volume. Anyone who is able to use this website will know that a pound is a pound. So are you saying that steel weighs the same as fethers? and water same as air? and everything in the world weighs the same, just have a different size? And you weigh the same as me, as pound of you = a pound of me? MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT BY VOLUME. thats what people mean. Dont insult anyones intelligence.

^this x 10000!
  • tubbstattsyrup
    tubbstattsyrup Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    I'm not a violent man but this topic makes me all:

1137844-S.gif
    lol i love that
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options

This is completely wrong, that is just starvation!! There is such a thing as starvation mode but its nothing that you will ever see on this fourm.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/pros-cons-of-high-protein-diets I have many links that i can post that referance is and are written by doctors, also the US Military warns us as we go through some of our more specialized training that its possible because of the lack of calories for days at a time and then when you return to home statoin you eat everything and just get....well fat if you dont exercise.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    If you look at five pounds of muscle and five pounds of fat side by side, the fat takes up more volume, or space, than the muscle. Also when people first start working out - they gain muscle faster than they lose fat - which causes a weight gain. Some people get frusterated and give up. The real measure should be in your pants size. Take before and after photos to see true results.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Semantics

Well said.. who cares as long as you're healthy or working towards being healthy... all the specifics is just fluff....
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    But it does. Say you have a cubic foot of muscle and a cubic foot of fat. The muscle will weigh more.

A cubic foot is a measurement of volume, not of weight. A pound is a measurement of weight. One pound of fat weighs exactly the same as one pound of anything else, be it muscle, lead, or feathers. They all weigh one pound.

You are correct, if you fill one cubic foot of space with fat and weigh it, it's going to weigh in at fewer pounds than one cubic foot of muscle. But you cannot mistake that for muscle weighing more than fat. It's just more compact.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    But it does. Say you have a cubic foot of muscle and a cubic foot of fat. The muscle will weigh more.

exactly, this is what people mean. A pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat but when people say muscle weighs more than fat then mean if you replace the space the fat was taking up with muscle it would weigh more

Then it should be "muscle has more volume...so the same pound of muscle will actually be a smaller amount...but as far as weight, it doesn't weigh more than fat.
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    I semi-retract my previous statement, because I do have plenty of pet peeves about commonly accepted but still technically incorrect phrases. This does not happen to be one of the ones that bugs me too much, but if it does you I can totally understand.

What if the argument was that muscle (on Jupiter) weighs more than fat (on Earth)????
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with saying fat weighs less than muscle. It is inferred that you are referring to a proportionate volume.

If someone said "a pound of fat weighs less than a pound of muscle," well then we have an issue.

Coincidentally I see this a lot though...so I think that is where some people get irked...

Because many people don't accept the fact that they should be talking about muscle in volume, not pounds, when comparing it to fat and using the world "pounds".

lol at the end of the day whatever, just replace your fat with muscle and be healthy and the whole world will continue to spin :)
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you want to be accurate about it, Muscle is more dense than fat so therefore a smaller volume of muscle will weigh more.

Hence, how you can lose inches but not weight....

:drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

exactly, this is what people mean. A pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat but when people say muscle weighs more than fat then mean if you replace the space the fat was taking up with muscle it would weigh more

Then it should be "muscle has more volume...so the same pound of muscle will actually be a smaller amount...but as far as weight, it doesn't weigh more than fat.

That is incorrect. Muscle is denser than fat so an equal portion of muscle will weigh more than fat.