BroScience83 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    crossfit....bless yalls lil joints :)
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    boychucker wrote: »
    I've been wanting to try crossfit for awhile. I am very out of shape, I have 40-50 pounds to lose and my DH has over 100. We went last night, despite what the trainers said before we signed up, everyone else was fit and could do all the moves. It was pretty embarrassing, my DH and I couldn't finish. The trainer said that in their classes, no one leaves until the last person is done and everyone stays to encourage you to keep going. I appreciate that, but it is still embarrassing and I'm not going to keep working out for 10 minutes after others are finished and waiting to leave. I'm just not. Both of our blood pressures were high after class and I felt sick for a few hours afterwards.

I feel like I don't want to go anymore, it's a one month beginner's class. I feel like it did motivate me to get back to the gym and start working out again. If it wasn't for my DH, I would quit but I'm the one that pushed us to try it and I think he'll be annoyed that I want to quit after one day.

Do you think it's ok to quit crossfit after one day and do other exercising? I really didn't like it.

Yes, it is ok to quit. I have been exercising for more than 20 years. Because I look for exercises, routines and classes I like. If I do nto like it (unless it is part of physical therapy), I am not doing it. Being forced to do sports I hated in my teens was the reason I ended up being a very sedentary teen. So, to get into an exercise routine, find something that makes you feel good. It can be something as simple as walking, it can be a gym, a class whatever. Sometimes a routine you generally do not like might turn into something you like in a different gym or with different partners, or a class you hate can be fun with a different instructor. But in general, experiment, and do not force yourself to do things you hate or that make you feel uncomfortable. Exercise should be fun, not a chore.

Now, me personally, despite being in good shape, I would not try crossfit. I do not think it is something that people should in general do, it is just the new trend, and there are many things I have seen about it that I definitely do not like, like a very high risk of unnecessary injuries and an attitude that is terrible (obviously there are exceptions, but the "no one leaves" is a good example, that would have me quitting right there - this is exactly the attitude that would make me hate any class). I also do not think it is in any way suitable for beginners.
    To give an example about what I mean about attitude, there is a post above stating " Compete with no one but yourself. When you win that battle,then start trying to move up the leaderboard at your own box." and naother "Change doesn't happen in your comfort zone." This works for some people, it would put me off exercise. I have a competitive job, a stressful life. I do not want to see exercise too as competition with anyone, I do not want to be the leader of anything, or have people with the "leader" attitude around me. For many people this pushing yourself thing works and leads to excellent results. But it does not work for everyone. Different people like different things. Some thrive in pushing themselves this way. Others would rather work out on their own, or be in a class with a fun attitude, or find a sport that is more about teamwork than competition, or even increase physical activity through everyday activities (bike to work instead of bus, walk instead of using car, start gardening instead of watching tv and so on).

Totally agree with this. You need to find something which you enjoy and will be able to continue with daily, weekly and yearly.

If you are signed up for something you don't want to do, you will find an excuse to not do it, who in their right mind would spend what little free time they have doing something they hate.

So in the end you will probably end up doing nothing, replace it with something else, but make sure you do replace it. Get a plan, try out other classes. Find what you enjoy and can stick with and do that.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I believe that you should find an exercise that you enjoy, but at the same time, I don't think going to one class is enough to make the decision. There have been many things I have done that I didn't like the first time and ended up loving....a TRX class for example. It was so hard the first time I went, I didn't know anyone in the class. I ended up loving that class. It still wasn't easy.

I would talk to the coach and tell him everything you wrote here. If they are a decent box, they should work with you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Everything that is brand new is hard.

I'm in excellent shape- and I would get my a** handed to me in a cross fit class. Not because I'm out of shape- but because IT"S HARD- and it's designed to challenge you. It's new. it's different.

but everything that is worth something you have to work for.

I would give it an honest to god shot. Go for the month- really commit yourself to learning- and doing. The people that are there cheering you on while you struggle to finish- they really mean it- they WANT you to dig deep and try harder. No one is judging you for being out of shape and new at something.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing about CrossFit that is so special that anyone ever needs to do it again if they don't want to. You picked something without really understanding what it was and when you found out, you didn't like it. Unless, after you thought about it, you thought it might be worth giving it another chance, move on and try something else.

Don't let anyone browbeat you about a "lack of commitment". You didn't make a "commitment". You tried something out of the blue and it didn't work. There are a million ways to exercise and probably 999,999 of them are more suitable for you right now than CrossFit.

Yes, any new program will be challenging and uncomfortable at first, but, again, there are innumerable ways to start exercising at a level that is suited to your current ability and that won't leave you feeling beat up and discouraged. When starting a new program, it's important to build on success, and working out with some dope who insists you "complete the workout" and leaves you feeling sick and discouraged afterwards is just stupid.

I would 100% disagree with the bolded part above. doing something HIGHLY technical like olympic lifting under the shroud of cross fit JUST ONCE- doesn't mean "you found out you didn't like it"- You can't possibly figure that out with something that technical right off the bat.

It's rare someone actually doesn't like something at first blush- it's more an emotional knee jerk reaction to being uncomfortable at learning something new. We see the same thing at dance classes- people come for one- feel out of place and leave. It has nothing to do with the activity- it has EVERYTHING to do with the reaction of feeling uncomfortable and not knowing. Happens at the gym too.

edit to say- I'm not even a huge cross fit fan- so please don't take this as CROSSFIT YAR GO GO GO GO.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    absolutely quit if you don't like it!!!

Let's face it, part of experiencing long term success has to do with our ability to sustain the changes you've made to our lifestyle. If this style of workout is not for you, then MOVE ON and find one that does!

Personally I do not like crossfit. I think it is not a good choice for beginners or even those who are in relatively good shape but lack a lifting background. Because crossfit uses the group environment to "encourage" others I often find that people are pushed beyond their physical capabilities, may injure themselves from overuse (rhabdo is rampant in crossfit), and people sacrifice form for time. Don't even get me started on all of the bad practices i've seen where coaches will watch and encourage their members to perform dangerous movements.

Anyways, you need to feel comfortable, confident, and enjoy the environment if you're going to stick to it longterm. I'm not saying you can't grow to love something, i'm saying it's pretty obvious that atleast for now that the environment is not one in which you want to continue and grow in. Is there anything else you want to try? Like swimming, cycling, running, zumba, les mills, etc.? Do you want to continue to workout in a group? Do you want to workout alone? Keep in mind what works for you may not work for your husband.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think it'd be best to try it twice, as it's tricky to make a decision based on one time when you were totally new to it.

Try it again and if you still don't like it quit and never look back.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While I would never suggest someone continue doing an exercise program they hated, it was 1 class & you want to quit? Give it at least 3 more classes. Scale down further if you need to, go slower if you need to. The wods can vary so much, the next one you might like. No matter what exercise mode you choose, sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone. Goes for life in general.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Let's face it, part of experiencing long term success has to do with our ability to sustain the changes you've made to our lifestyle. If this style of workout is not for you, then MOVE ON and find one that does!

Personally I do not like crossfit. I think it is not a good choice for beginners or even those who are in relatively good shape but lack a lifting background. Because crossfit uses the group environment to "encourage" others I often find that people are pushed beyond their physical capabilities, may injure themselves from overuse (rhabdo is rampant in crossfit), and people sacrifice form for time. Don't even get me started on all of the bad practices i've seen where coaches will watch and encourage their members to perform dangerous movements.

Anyways, you need to feel comfortable, confident, and enjoy the environment if you're going to stick to it longterm. I'm not saying you can't grow to love something, i'm saying it's pretty obvious that atleast for now that the environment is not one in which you want to continue and grow in. Is there anything else you want to try? Like swimming, cycling, running, zumba, les mills, etc.? Do you want to continue to workout in a group? Do you want to workout alone? Keep in mind what works for you may not work for your husband.

I've tried three different boxes in my area, and this tends to be my issue with CF given my experiences. The coaches also didn't really seem to recognize or care that some people were really working beyond their means...I would expect a good coach to have them back off a bit...some people just can't inherently do that on their own in that kind of environment I think. As someone else up thread noted, it's basically putting the ideology ahead of the client.

That said, I do know people who enjoy CF and have been just fine...but it's certainly not my cup o' tea and I do think in many ways it can be more dangerous than a lot of other exercise modalities.

I'm curious as to whether the OP attended a "ramp on" or if that was even offered by the box? At one of the boxes I attended, I attended a free class which was basically a "normal" class...I really had no business being there and in that class at that time given my level of fitness. At another box I did attend a 3 week ramp on which was a lot more tame and everyone in that class was brand new...but still, it wasn't my thing.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I've tried three different boxes in my area, and this tends to be my issue with CF given my experiences. The coaches also didn't really seem to recognize or care that some people were really working beyond their means...I would expect a good coach to have them back off a bit...some people just can't inherently do that on their own in that kind of environment I think. As someone else up thread noted, it's basically putting the ideology ahead of the client.

That said, I do know people who enjoy CF and have been just fine...but it's certainly not my cup o' tea and I do think in many ways it can be more dangerous than a lot of other exercise modalities.

I'm curious as to whether the OP attended a "ramp on" or if that was even offered by the box? At one of the boxes I attended, I attended a free class which was basically a "normal" class...I really had no business being there and in that class at that time given my level of fitness. At another box I did attend a 3 week ramp on which was a lot more tame and everyone in that class was brand new...but still, it wasn't my thing.

That is a good question. If they don't do the ramp class or some sort of training for people new to the gym, they should. I did a three week ramp class and it taught me a lot. At a different box, I did a free class to try it. It was hard, but not Olympic moves. More things like squats and lunges, etc. The first part of class the coach looked at everyones form on squats and squat thrusts. If you liked that, they had you sign up for the ramp class.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No one is as passionate about anything as crossfitters are about crossfit...

...except, of course, how passionate anti-crossfitters are about it.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've never tried and have no particular opinion of CrossFit, but I laugh every time I see it. The WSJ had an article several months ago detailing CrossFit making for bad neighbors. This was my favorite thing I've ever seen in the WSJ: "Even when she went outside, she couldn’t find peace. 'I would go out back and read a book,' she said. 'It was Nickelback playing and guys screaming. It was my worst nightmare.'"
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »

That is a good question. If they don't do the ramp class or some sort of training for people new to the gym, they should. I did a three week ramp class and it taught me a lot. At a different box, I did a free class to try it. It was hard, but not Olympic moves. More things like squats and lunges, etc. The first part of class the coach looked at everyones form on squats and squat thrusts. If you liked that, they had you sign up for the ramp class.

The ramp class definitely gave me a different perspective on CF and was definitely much more mellow than just diving in head first to a WOD.

People should also take note that really CF is not just exercise, but a sport in and of itself...so on that note, one has to determine if they like participating in that sport or not. It should also be noted that purposeful training for a sport...any sport is going to be more intensive than just going and getting some exercise and is also going to come with a higher risk of injury and I question whether or not purposeful training for a sport, particularly one as intensive as CF is something that someone brand new to fitness should really be doing...IDK, maybe I'm overthinking that...maybe not...

One interesting thing in my area is that recently the city has banned it's police and fire fighters from doing CF as there were too many off the job injuries taking place...
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Were you wearing the calf-high compression socks with fun, colorful patterns? That's more than likely your problem...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

One interesting thing in my area is that recently the city has banned it's police and fire fighters from doing CF as there were too many off the job injuries taking place...

Interesting about the ban. My box has several cops and just held a special hero WOD for a fallen officer & LEO's from all over the city attended it.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    boychucker wrote: »
    I've been wanting to try crossfit for awhile. I am very out of shape, I have 40-50 pounds to lose and my DH has over 100. We went last night, despite what the trainers said before we signed up, everyone else was fit and could do all the moves. It was pretty embarrassing, my DH and I couldn't finish. The trainer said that in their classes, no one leaves until the last person is done and everyone stays to encourage you to keep going. I appreciate that, but it is still embarrassing and I'm not going to keep working out for 10 minutes after others are finished and waiting to leave. I'm just not. Both of our blood pressures were high after class and I felt sick for a few hours afterwards.

I feel like I don't want to go anymore, it's a one month beginner's class. I feel like it did motivate me to get back to the gym and start working out again. If it wasn't for my DH, I would quit but I'm the one that pushed us to try it and I think he'll be annoyed that I want to quit after one day.

Do you think it's ok to quit crossfit after one day and do other exercising? I really didn't like it.

Why did you want to try Crossfit?
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    What I am surpised by is that they signed you up for a month without a trial class. Plus they also did not provide you with the right feedback
    When I joined my gym I had one class free of charge to see if I liked it (I loved it) before signing up. And even before we had a good talk as to what classes would suit me best and what classes I'd leave till the next level of fitness.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    If you have kids what would you tell them if they wanted to quit after one music/sport/art practice/lesson?
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Interesting about the ban. My box has several cops and just held a special hero WOD for a fallen officer & LEO's from all over the city attended it.

CF was huge here, particularly with the FF community, but a lot of law enforcement as well. I wonder how they enforce the ban. It's not like my office knows what gym I go to.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    No one is as passionate about anything as crossfitters are about crossfit...

...except, of course, how passionate anti-crossfitters are about it.
    Dont' forget vegetarians.