Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @celtik-- I think for children, the focus should be on adding healthy alternatives to sugary snacks and unhealthy foods. That way, it's not about limiting intake, but about reducing calories without reducing the amount of food the child eats. You can also stress that some foods are healthier and more nutritious than others without bringing the idea of body weight into the discussion. If your grand wants candy or cookies, give her some fruit instead stressing that it will give her more energy to play. Kids should learn that foods are there to fuel our bodies and help us grow strong, and they can learn it at a fairly young age. I also try to give my niece non-food based treats--even on traditionally candy-laden holidays. I gave her a cute t-shirt and socks in her easter basket with just a few pieces of candy b/c I knew she would get candy from others. Stickers are also a great substitute for candy in gifts.

@jaded-- congrats on the continued losses on the scale! I hope your back gets better--back injuries are the worst!

@niki-- thanks, you're very sweet. :)
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Missed water aerobics because I slept late and just couldn't get going but logged a lot of steps shopping with my friend that's visiting from Chattanooga. We went to a Movie Theatre that serves food and enjoyed My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, which was even better than the first. Funny and poignant. Yesterday, I bought two books, some office supplies, and a Frozen dress for my granddaughter and then walked out of the store without taking the package I had just bought. Called them and they said they couldn't find it. But they called later and they had it. That was nice. Tomorrow my friend and I are going to a Korean Spa with jade hot tubs, salt saunas, and all types of treatments, then we are having dinner and going to see Cirque du Soleil Kuriosity. It should be fun but exhausting. My friend is going home sooner than planned because the weather is going to turn bad here with storms.

Got results of cat scan and there is no tumor. I have something called Bronchiectasis, which is a lung condition. It is mild and he is not sure if that or the Silent GERD is causing my chronic dry cough. When I go back on the 26th he may prescribe saline breathing treatments. I have had similar ailment always following a seasonal allergy episode. The chronic dry cough wears me out.

Jaded33jade - Good going. 2.8 is great. Hoping your back feels better.

Nikion - I too struggle with computeritis. Just cant get off sometimes, but working on limiting myself. I just read tonite that the one thing that can prolong one's life is exercise, just 30 minutes a day and sometimes I dont even get that. Have to make a priority

Skinny - Sounds like you and Laurie had a great weekend. You both look great

Katrena
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Just a quick check-in to update goals:

I met my goal of staying under calories and logging everything. Avoided the sugary snacks at work even though I had a rather lackluster lunch. (I was too tired to go to the grocery yesterday or do any proper food prep.)

I was worried I would be sore today, but legs felt fine. Didn't walk gunner b/c it was really, really cold and snowy.

Got a few more papers graded after school today and then hit the grocery for better lunch choices. Prepped some quinoa salad for the week. It used to be a staple in my diet, but haven't made it in ages.

Grading Goals:
    1. 4/41 AP Lit Theory papers
    2. 3/41 Wuthering Hts reflections

Fitness Goals for the month of April:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 2 5ks/week
    Week 1 = 1/3 runs, 1/2 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3
    Push ups & planks =

You vs Year Challenge:
    132 k done/ 868 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- Shamrock Shuffle 8k with Laurie!! DONE + walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • jaded33jade
    jaded33jade Posts: 30 Member
    Thank you all for the feel better wishes and all. They are very much appreciated.
    I hope everyone is doing great this morning and has a wonderful day.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Hi guys!

I made it to the gym after school despite evening plans with friends who are moving out of town. I also met my goal of doing some strength work at the gym before cardio. As part of it, I did the bench press for the first time in a year and a half (since before the shoulder injury). It was the bar only-- so only 45 lbs-- but at least I can do it without pain. Progress.

I spent most of my prep time today doing some planning, but I managed to get a few more journal reflections graded. Tomorrow, I have a meeting right after school, but plan to devote a couple of hours after that to grading. I need to return the speech thesis statements by thursday, and would like to finish reflections by the end of the week.

I also realized I have another meeting on thursday. It includes dinner and will go until at least 7:30, so no chance for a gym visit that day. It's also going to be difficult to stay under calories that day, but I will try to at least stay under maintenance.

Grading Goals:
    1. 4/41 AP Lit Theory papers
    2. 7/41 Wuthering Hts reflections
    3. x/21 Speech thesis statements

Fitness Goals for the month of April:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 2 5ks/week
    Week 1 = 2/3 runs, 1/2 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3
    Push ups & planks =

You vs Year Challenge:
    137 k done/ 863 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- Shamrock Shuffle 8k with Laurie!! DONE + walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- rest day
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Thanks for the ideas for my granddaughter. Unfortunately, I live 300 miles away and can't be of much use. If I lived closer I would invite her to come walk with me or ride bikes or something. I think my daughter is making an effort to offer better food choices, but portion control and frequency of meals/snacks might be an issue.

I'm trying very hard this week to stick to the plan and avoid treats or splurges. I've been allowing myself to rationalize and make excuses when I truly need to keep focused. Yesterday and today I packed breakfast, lunch and snacks for the day so that I would have no excuses. Hopefully that helps. Back to the gym tonight!
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Hi @celtikgirl - Sounds like your daughter could help both herself and her daughter by making time with each other a priority, outside or at the mall or somewhere where they could do fun exercise stuff together. If she's truly committed to becoming healthier then including her daughter in the process won't damage the child's self-esteem, if they make it a mother-daughter activity time. You don't have to say "we are going to lose weight together". It can be "we need to do something fun and active together every day so we can spend time together". And if you're daughter is doing the cooking it's easy enough to make ALL the family meals healthier, and if she's doing the shopping, she can make healthier choices for the whole family. Instead of buying "low calorie" snacks for herself and the standard fare for everyone else, just include the entire family in the healthy snack purchases. Your granddaughter will grow out of the chubby phase if she is eating healthily and getting lots of exercise. Your daughter can also emphasize to her not to spend her lunch money on junk food, and also can pack healthy lunches for the whole family instead.

Well I'm still struggling with late night snacking and eating whatever's available at work. I had my food all planned out for today and it would have been fine, but then someone had a scrumptious looking carrot cake here and I couldn't resist!
    Tracy
    TX
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Good morning everyone ...
    Thursday Truth - Yesterday was the date we always celebrated my mom's birthday on, she passed away 22 years ago (next week) when she was 75 years old. To this day I miss her as much as ever and always have a hard time emotionally during this month of April ... cause it's a month with a lot of memories of lost loved ones, broken relationships, and forced new starts in my own life path. So, as a pick-me-up, I met one of my SIL for lunch at a local diner and we both had gravy covered sandwiches with french fries ... and I had gravy over the french fries as well. It tasted really good; I haven't had that kind of a diner dish in years. However, as I looked at the dish I realized it was all brown and tan and had no other colors on it ... and I missed those other hews and flavors. I was too full to have any other food at that meal but realized I would have been better off with a salad to substitute for the fries. So, for dinner I made up for it by having a vegetarian chili and some cantaloupe. It was good to see the colors on my plate again!

Also, I searched and found a series of youtube videos that are geared for obese people with mobility issues ... they start out doing exercises while seated and after a few videos it goes to stand-up exercises. Each video is about 30 minutes long. Well, I liked this one so much that I did it twice ... and then I looked at the next video to see what the progression was ... and for the first few days it's simply to add 2 reps to each routine. ... This morning, when I woke up, I remembered the routines the video had and did them all with the increase in reps for the next day ... I exercised for 25 minutes without any stops between routines ... and I must admit I feel more limber as I write this than normal.

Now I am looking forward to doing those same routines again and feel like I might be able to do them this afternoon or evening instead of waiting for another day.
    Niki
    Follow through with consistent focus
  • GOINSTD12
    Wow it's really slow on here today! Thursday truth: Today I am trying to start over (again) as I do every day to be more consistent with logging, and to exercise daily. I haven't been too bad this week on logging but have yet to work out or walk (except once), even though I paid my gym fee and renewed last Friday. But, the important thing is I am doing what I need to do to start over, and it has showed on the scales: I am down 6 lbs in the last 2 weeks. YAY! Now to get back on track with my exercise and I will be on my way back to health.
    Tracy
    TX
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    Hi, everyone. I kind of just stumbled and fell into this discussion. And I thought "I have at least 100 pounds to lose" and "I want to make friends on MFP that can help support me" so I thought maybe I'd join in the conversation. I hope that's okay! My name is Tina. I'm just starting this healthy living journey (I've started and stopped many times, but this time feels right), and I have lost 9 pounds in total. Since I started MFP, I've lost 5, and I'm happy with that. Many more to go! I hope I can squirm my way into the thread, and get to know you all! :)
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Have been planning all week to walk and/or do weights, but I have been distracted. I need to get my taxes done before I leave for Florida but before I can start I have to clean my messy ofice (I've let things go to pot since Jim passed) and get my paperwork organized so I can complete the taxes. I worked all day at the computer getting business taken care of and am getting ready to start on the office.

First day that I have logged in a long time, and my Thursday truth is I do better when I log. Got a lot accomplished today. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday my friend was her from Chattanooga and I really enjoyed her company but I was feeling so bad. We went to the Spa and had a Hip Bath, tried out all the Sauna, including a Salt Sauna and a Gold & Silver Sauna and had a reflexology treatment. Then we went to Cirque du Soleil. It was good but I was so tired. The next day, I literally slept all day then got up and went to bed and slept some more. Felt better today but still coughing. Having to beat myself up to take my meds. It rained so hard last evening, wind knocked over my heavy metal deck chairs and blew my flags down

Niki - Good for you. I find that activity helps me a lot. Sounds like you made a good start. So sorry this is a challengin month for you and glad you are striving to get through it.
    Tracy - Today is the first day of the rest of your life, so starting over is great. Good job on the weight loss. You are doing something right!!!

Tina: Yahoo!! and welcome aboard. Good start.
    You dont have to squirm, just slide right in and let us hear from you when you can

celtikgirl - Good strategy. Planning or lack thereof is my downfall

Skinny - Your schedule looks exhausting but you are going strong.

Have a great Friday tomorrow

Katrena

PS I changed my profile name
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited April 2016
    @GOINSTD12 What you suggest is exactly why I wish I lived closer. My daughter is a teacher and in addition to the seven year old, has four year old twins. They are so busy with school and work and general life things that the only free time seems to be late at night. I know once summer rolls around she will be doing more active things with all the kids. If I lived closer I could either stay with the boys, or take O out myself. But I guess at this point all I can do is be some kind of cheer leader. I have no real desire to move back to western NY winter ever again.

I had all good intentions of taking my obnoxiously energetic dog for a good long walk tonight - got home from work at a decent hour, and then the skies opened, thunder, hail, and downpours. So, the dog is still obnoxiously full of energy, but I went to the gym and walked five miles in ninety minutes on the treadmill. It is no record breaking pace, but a pretty good one for me.

Welcome to all the new folks - I haven't been here long, but it seems you just jump in with both feet and things just work out. I've gotten some great advice, and every once in a while someone laughs at one of my jokes - can't be all bad!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    It has been a busy week as usual but I am starting to calm down and my legs have finally stopped aching at least for now. Tonight, I did swim and that felt good. Yesterday, I attempted to run for recovery but ended up walking for 45-55 minutes since my legs and body were exhausted. The exhaustion came from a busy week and the legs from the run on Sunday but they should be closer to recovery now.

Sunday- Shamrock Shuffle- 8K Done 58:58 (still can't believe my time)
    Monday- Trainer recovery workout- Done
    Tuesday- Rest
    Wednesday- walk
    thursday- Swim
    Friday- Climb
    Saturday- run, bike indoors due to weather

I need to get ready for a sprint triathlon on April 30th but I am wondering how I will fit the training in for the next couple of weeks. The other option is a 5K run on the same day, but I really want to the triathlon. I should be able to do it but self-doubt likes to creep in every once in a while. The weather this weekend is not helping since they are mentioning snow in our forecast for Saturday but hopefully no accumulation. Just cold and wet again. Have a great weekend.
  • GOINSTD12
    edited April 2016
    Boy howdy, this time of year makes me really glad I live in TX, as I read all about your snow and cold weather, it is 80 degrees, sunny and warm out. Of course, in a month or two, we'll be gasping and praying for rain and a "cooler" 90-ish day, and in 3 months we'll be melting into the sidewalks with 100 degree days at a stretch, but right now, being in TX is great!
    @Sgt_Pepper33 - if you want to flag someone in particular to reply to a message, you type @_____(name) and it will put a link in the message to that person, and if you want to favorite this thread so you can return to it easily, you go to the upper left corner of the page, next to the name of the thread "Need to Lose 100.....", there's a star. Click on the star to favorite it. Then when you come back to community, you'll see 3 symbols at the top right - a bell, a star, and the "settings" symbol. If someone has replied to one of your posts, there will be a number next to the bell - click on it to go right to the reply. To come back to this thread, click on the star, then on the thread, and it will bring you back to the last place you were reading on the thread. Welcome, and there are many supportive people here.
    If you look at the first page of the thread, you will read the "rules" of the thread - what sort of things to post on what day. It's a suggestion, not a rule, tho, so if you have something to say, just say it. Tell us something about yourself, where you live, etc, so we can get to know you.

Tracy
    TX
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Can I just crow a little that I managed to hit my calorie goal exactly, get enough calcium and fiber and stay under on sodium and sugar? I've never managed that combo before, and I don't expect to do it again in the foreseeable future.
    Also, three weeks into my 100 miles/ 100 days challenge, and I've already logged 56 miles. o:)
  • MrWufpack
    MrWufpack Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2016
    @badnoodle Nice-it's hard to do all that in one day. I don't know if I ever hit my calcium
  • MrWufpack
    MrWufpack Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2016
    Weird. Won't let me put full reply in my first post.

@badnoodle Nice-it's hard to do all that in one day. I don't know if I ever hit my calcium :blush:

Way to go on the mileage! That's almost 3 mi/day! :smiley:
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Hello! I've been gone a long time. You may know me as tlh0407 but I've changed my name to New Caddy. My maiden name was Saville and my college nickname was Cadillac. It's time for a new Caddy.

My name is Tracy and I live in Bismarck, ND. On December 31, 2015, I lost my job of 18 years. I was working out of my home for a life insurance company doing quality improvement. I was informed that we no longer had enough complaints to warrant a full time employee (I like to say I improved the quality so much I worked myself out of a job). They offered me a chance to find another position within the company and keep working remote or take a severance package. I hated working in my home away from people, so I took the package and am still looking for a job. I enjoyed the first couple of months but am now in panic mode as I only have two months left of pay. I try to keep the faith that the right job will come up. Today (well technically yesterday) was my 43rd birthday and I hope it's a great year.

On the MFP front, I've been depressed and haven't done much. I did come to the conclusion that I am going to have Gastric Sleeve surgery. I have been working with a nutritionist and have started the pre-op weight loss. So far I am down 10 pounds since starting. Hoping to get at least another 10 off before scheduling my surgery. This is something that I have thought about for quite some time, researched and struggled with. I always said "just do it" and I'd be successful for a while and then back to where I was. However, my mother's failing health has played a big part in deciding to go ahead with it. I just can't do that to my family - she is not able to enjoy your grandchildren and will probably not be around to see most of them graduate. I know WLS is not the quick fix, but I'm hoping it is the right tool for me to use. I'm not sure how everyone feels about people on it that have WLS. If it doesn't fit with the group, I will bow out, but I hope I can stay because in the past, I have received a lot of support from this thread.

That's me in a nutshell right now. Job hunting, enjoying my kids activities and baking cakes.

Tracy
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    @GOINSTD12 Thanks so much for the tips on how to reply to people and for the warm welcome!

@NewCaddy Nice to meet you, and welcome back! I don't think people will look down on you for having weight loss surgery..Or at least they shouldn't. I was curious though, what is gastric sleeve surgery exactly? I've never heard of that. Good luck on your journey!

Well, I should probably share a little bit about myself. I've struggled with weight issues my whole life. However, when I look back to my childhood and younger teen years, I realize I was not as heavy as people around me led me to believe. A lot of negativity, both from myself and others, made me into the obese person I see in the mirror today. I am finally at a point where I want to be healthier just for me, and so far things are going well. I love to exercise, and eating healthy is getting a little bit more managable as I go. I'm down 9 pounds so far and excited to keep going!

One struggle I know will make this healthy living journey more difficult is the fact that I have had depression and anxiety issues for over 10 years. I see counselors regularly and take meds, but I still hit a bad slump a few times a year, and I am in one now. I actually ended up having to quit my job and graduate school due to my struggles. I'm focusing on getting back to a stabilized mood so I can find a somewhat less stressful job and begin writing again -- my biggest goal is to become a published author. I have a book in the works that I could talk about for hours, but will spare you the details! :smiley:

Anyway, thanks for reading and for including me in the group! I'm excited to take these steps towards feeling better, and any friends I can make along the way will be appreciated!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited April 2016
    Welcome back Tracy ... I like your new username ... @NewCaddy ... Hey, don't worry about what anyone thinks about your decision to have the Gastric Sleeve ... it's your life and body and we each need to find our own truth in what we need to do to turn ourselves into the healthy-weight person we want to be ... I cannot image anyone on this thread not supporting you even if it's not something they would do themselves. Good luck with getting to the right weight for the procedure.

Welcome also to the new folks who have recently posted. @Goinstd12 did a great job of describing how you can make this thread easier to find the next time.

Today, in my emails, there was an interesting video clip about 'Todays Takeaway - 30 Day Challenge Tips" from the Today show ... it's really from mid-January but the advice is still good. The videocast said that it takes 66 days of doing something to make it a habit ... our dear Ellen ( @RobinsEgg ) posted a thread on habits about a year ago and I think that was the timeframe she gave then also.

Gosh, 66 days is a long time ... no wonder we fall back into old habits so easily.

The video also stated that because it does take this long for new habits to kick in, doing something new for at least 4 days a week helps, and that 30-Day Challenges give a good try out for new habits that you can sample to see how they fit. Then, once you find something that does ... here are tips to make it stick ...

1 - Do the activity at the SAME TIME every day.
    2 - Pair it with something you already do
    3 - Workout with a friend (if possible)
    4 - Go public with specific goals (helps to keep you accountable)

Heck ... #3 and 4 are exactly what we do for one another on this thread ... Go figure!

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
    Niki
    Follow through with Consistent Focus

PS ... new habit to learn ... hit the preview button before the save post ... it might keep down on the typos Niki!