Gained weight on 1200cal diet, AND 800cal diet.

Options
First off, I'm 5'2 and I weighed a steady 130 lbs for years. Over the winter I slowly gained weight, until I got to 144. In January I started a 1200cal diet with cardio exercise, and gained 2 pounds. Last week, I read that for some RARE women, 1200 may not be enough for weight loss, so I (maybe stupidly), restricted to 800cals. I worked out like crazy every day. I gained another pound. I feel so frustrated I want to cry. In hindsight, I know 800 was probably too little. I should have done 1000. But still! I don't know what else to do. I'm only 21 years old. I'm trying to get to 120 lbs. Please feel free to add me for Support as well.

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    The introduction of exercise has made you retain water in your muscles.

1200 NET (which means say you burn 300 calories with exercise, you really should be eating 1500/day) is the lowest recommended calories per day for ANY woman. Unless you are under 5' (which you aren't) or older and sedentary (which you are not).

Ok. Now. Are you weighing everything you eat? Or are you trusting packaging to be accurate? If so, start weighing. I'm assuming you really aren't eating 800 calories, you are eating more and with the over exercising you are retaining water (which will go away after your muscles get used to it).

If after 5 weeks you still seem to be having problems on 1200 NET (while weighing everything you eat), please see a doctor. But I'm 99% sure you are panicing a bit too early.

• vcurrie19
    vcurrie19 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fitness junkie, but I would assume the weight gain is probably muscle gain. 800 calories is really low girl, I wouldn't suggest going that low. Eating healthily and often while maintaining your workouts is your best option. Overall though, I would think your weight gain is probably muscle (or water retention, but I don't know how much water you've been drinking!)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    First off, I'm 5'2 and I weighed a steady 130 lbs for years. Over the winter I slowly gained weight, until I got to 144. In January I started a 1200cal diet with cardio exercise, and gained 2 pounds. Last week, I read that for some RARE women, 1200 may not be enough for weight loss, so I (maybe stupidly), restricted to 800cals. I worked out like crazy every day. I gained another pound. I feel so frustrated I want to cry. In hindsight, I know 800 was probably too little. I should have done 1000. But still! I don't know what else to do. I'm only 21 years old. I'm trying to get to 120 lbs. Please feel free to add me for Support as well.

You aren't gonna see weight loss in a single week, because water weight in your body fluctuates. 1200 is not too much for any grown person, especially if you're also working out.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Can you make your food diary public so we can look at it?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Case in point, I got up 2 hours ago and since then lost over half a pound just because of bathroom visits.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    vcurrie19 wrote: »
    I'm not a fitness junkie, but I would assume the weight gain is probably muscle gain. 800 calories is really low girl, I wouldn't suggest going that low. Eating healthily and often while maintaining your workouts is your best option. Overall though, I would think your weight gain is probably muscle (or water retention, but I don't know how much water you've been drinking!)

No it seems you aren't a fitness person, so why give advice?
    You can't gain muscle in a deficit.
    It doesn't matter how often or whether the food is healthy to lose weight.
    You can retain water for muscle repair without drinking a lot of water, you can retain water within the muscle cells that you get from other parts of the body, or food.

You were spot on with the low calorie advice.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'2 and weigh 134 lbs. I eat 13-1400 calories and lose.

The gains you're seeing are temporary water retention. Either from working out, hormones, salt, etc. It's natural and happens.

You need to give things more than a week or two. You're not being patient at all. Realistically, you should only change things when you've seen zero change for 4-6 weeks.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Please read all of the links provided here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

But especially the ones about logging and weight loss not being linear.

You said you started in January but "gained" two pounds. You fail to provide enough information.

Do you log your food every day? How do you measure that food (for accuracy, especially given that you should only be aiming to lose .5-1 lb/wk, you should be weighing your food and carefully choosing entries - verified entires guarantee nothing). How often do you weigh yourself? If it's only once a week, you simply might be weighing on a high day. Additionally, with your exercise you will be retaining water.

You cannot get reliable information after only one week (referring to your 800 comment). You need to choose a reasonable goal (.5-1 lb/wk), log accurately, and do that for 4-6 weeks, then make adjustments.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You ate more than you think you did. You need to weigh your food and ensure you're using the correct MFP food database entries.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Water retention can EASILY mask weight loss, making is seem like you're gaining. It's a mind meld. Don't underestimate the pounds of water your muscles can hold on to for repair.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more especially if you're working out. I would never be able to function at so low of calories while working out. I would try upping your calories you may be surprise, when I upped mine I ended up losing MORE.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    We still haven't ascertained if that was what she was eating in reality.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Case in point, I got up 2 hours ago and since then lost over half a pound just because of bathroom visits.
    Same here - 0.4 pounds lost....and I know, because I weigh everything!
    :)
    i0glw4e9hxbx.jpg
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates so give it time but are you being accurate at logging your food? i.e could you be eating more than you think? if you aren't using food scales then the chances are that you are ....

I'm 5ft 2 and when I was in losing phase lost (1/2lb/wk) eating 1800 gross cals. I am active.

You haven't much to lose so should be aiming for 1/2lb a week.
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    How are you sleeping? What are your stress levels like? These two factors are often overlooked but are a key to healthy living and weight loss.

Regardless, what the people said before me is true: 800 cal is not enough. Add in working out, and your body probably isn't able to function. There is a point of diminishing returns if you follow calories in calories out. After a certain point (~1200-1500 for the average person), your body will begin to hold on to whatever in can in an attempt not to die. Basically, if you treat your body like dog crap by under eating and overstressing, your result is going to be crap. I know this from experience, as I used to have you mindset. It wasn't until I started to eat more that my body started to feel fine, which kick-started my workouts into high gear, and led to weight loss.

In any case, find a calorie amount which you can live with FOR LIFE, not just a few weeks. You'll get much farther staying consistently at 1500 than jumping from 800 to an eventual blowout of 2000+ cals over an evening.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    vcurrie19 wrote: »

LOL...you think she gained muscle in a couple weeks eating 800 calories a day?? please explain how that is possible
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    A week? I'm doing 1200-1300 calories and have gone back up from 136-140 in a week. I don't go around saying I'm "gaining" on 1200 calories. I'm experiencing weight fluctuations due to high sodium and a heavy leg workout. Just stay at your 1200 and be patient and weigh your dang food.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss Is Not Linear

Calculate your TDEE, eat under that to lose weight (-500 for 1lb a week or -250 for 0.5lbs a week). Do this for 3 months for approx. -5to-10lbs down. In a year, you can drop ~50lbs if going at a -500calorie deficit (depending on how big/small you are, but if you consistently decreasing weight then it's good).
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    RWClary wrote: »
    Same here - 0.4 pounds lost....and I know, because I weigh everything!
    :)
    i0glw4e9hxbx.jpg

This post is upsetting...

nwF9D.gif
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would also advise to take measurements. At your weight, with exercise, you might loose inchs but no weight. I run and if I take a few days break I lose easily 1-3 pounds. I've guess this must be the water my body need to repair muscles from my runs.

I don't know if it's the case here or not, but you can make "beginner muscles" on a deficit. If you are overweight/obese and go from completly sedentary to active you will make some muscles, even at a deficit (http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/).