April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    All of you running races are making me a bit jealous/lazy (you're totally motivating me). I know I'm nowhere near being ready for my HM, but now I really want to run a 10k. There are none within 200 miles of me in the near future.
  • ChrissalmonPT
    ChrissalmonPT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    6 mile run this morning bringing my total to 32 miles for April. I have a 10k mud run / ocr tomorrow morning.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Amandajs232 if it hurts you are doing it right :)) Don't worry if you do it for a few weeks it will stop hurting so much. I couldn't roll my quads at first but now their just fine and I can relax my whole body weight on the foam roller.

I didn't run these days and I don't think I will run these days either but not running means one thing: BUY ALL THE SHOES

Adidas Supernova Glide boost 8
    658nqblljq61.jpg

These bad boys were bought today and let me tell you, the traction on these is unreal. Went out in the night with them for 200-300 m. Continental rubber and I feel like I'm a truck. They are pretty cushy but that's why I bought them since I am on the heavier side and I need cushy for my runs. That boost foam really lives up to it's name. You can almost feel it push you forward. I can't wait to take them out for a longer spin. They also have a very wide finger box, so wide in fact that I thought they were too big but my big toe fits right. I was surprised how comfortable they felt as compare to my Nike that were pretty narrow.

Oh and even though I didn't run, my garmin indicates I walked 14k steps and 12.3 km today. I should go shopping more often
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Thought of your Honey Experiment when I stumbled across this old gem.

e302ucs13mq8.jpg
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Beginners Luck 25k trail race today! Had a 6am start with rain. Became more scattered. Then severe thunderstorms rolled in. Lightning evreywhere. Flooding. And there's still around 80 runners currently on the course for the 55k! Free shower!! My time was 2:53 Elevation gain: 1,841ft.

4/1 - Easy 10.1mi @ 8:25/mi
    4/2 - rest.
    4/3 - 1mi fun hike for views of SLC. 400ft vertical.
    4/4 - Snowboard 41.8mi 30,000ft, descent (not counted on April total), 55.8mph top speed.
    4/5 - 7.3mi mountain (steep) run. About 2,000ft vertical, 14:31/avg. Medium effort.
    4/6 - Rest
    4/7 - 4.5mi easy w speed bursts 8:50 - 5:40/mi
    4/8 - rest
    4/9 - Beginners Luck 25k trail race (2:53)

April total - 39.1/153mi
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    4/1-2.5 miles running with the puppy
    4/2-16 miles
    4/3- rest day
    4/4-4.5 miles
    4/5-6 miles w/ 3 @ tempo
    4/6-5.1 miles
    4/7-7 miles
    4/8 3 miles
    4/9 20miles

This thread would be so much easier to keep up with if only there was a like button.

@ariceroni -congrats on the strong finish. I think that is what matters the most. My last HM was in poor conditions and I experienced some stomach issues and had to stop to use the bathroom twice. I knew from mile 5 that I was not going to PR this race. But the thing that left me feeling like crap is that I just gave it all up on the last mile. I just cashed it in. This is not typical for me. I wasn't upset about the overall time, these things happen, but I was upset about the fact that I kind of quit. I would have been ok with time, except for the slacker finish. A strong finish says a lot about your character...way to pull it out!!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    16 km with the Local Running Club Core group. I was going for a Time and/or Distance minimum today ( 90 mins ~ 15km ) as this is my last long run before the HM next Saturday. Running with the same group that has done 2 HM's with me. 1:44:45. Might seem slow for 16 km but we were doing a hilly route out of the valley bottom. 2 km relatively flat River side trail then 5 km uphill - Rolling Hills - and 1 km along the Top of the Valley. Turned around and headed back for the Vehicle Parking Lot.
    3 Different groups - 3 Different Paces/distance/start times. 32km, 20km and 16km.
    I was in the Turtles with a new member of the club so lost a little pace just to help her confidence. Her longest run before today was 7 km so to more than double her distance breaks a lot of the general rules about increasing mileage but she swims and bikes so is in pretty darn good Cardio vascular condition. This will be her first HM so I understand her nerves/confidence issues since it is only my 3rd.

04/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km
    04/02 – 10. Km – 10 km- 130 km
    04/03 – 8.0 Km – 18 km- 122 km
    04/04 – 12 km – 30 km – 110 km
    04/06 – 6.0 km – 36 km – 104 km
    04/08 – 5.0 km – 41 km – 99 km
    04/09 –16.0 km – 57 km – 83 km – YTD 447.8 km

exercise.png

Next week is pretty much a Taper as Saturday is my next HM.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 That's a good pace. I'll admit, I'm pretty slow, but you did for 16km, what I normally do for 10km. Good job!
  • wesley58
    wesley58 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am new to the running, not that good at it, seems as though my body is not built for it. You eat big, before a run? or after? I am flat footed and seems as though I shake the ground like an elepant when I run. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    1.4 - rest
    2.4 - hike out to Frankenstein (missed cycling)
    3.4 - 13.4 km - 5 super slow, 7 hills and stuff (new shoes!)
    4.4 - Should have been gym, was rest.
    5.4 - 8.4 km - hard time focusing on the run. Pace fine, despite a lot of stop and go.
    6.4 - 5.7 km - 'fast' and ugly - PR'ed 5K
    7.4 - missed run
    8.4 - travel day to Paris too tired for catching up on running after the drive.
    9.4 - 8.3 km in Versailles (pictures on Strava.) slow but up one point on VO2Max.

total 35.8 km April goal 140 km

Running thoughts: From the 5K to today's run my left calf has been tight. I fear it is actually my IT band. Rolling the hell out of my entire leg and hoping for the best. I'd like to do a long run on the quais of Paris with my girls but I'll push back a day it if my leg is feeling like today.

• AdrianChr92
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @wesley58 Some people eat 1 hour before a run, some eat 3 hours before. I for one try to eat at least 2 hours before a run. The closer you get to the run the smaller you should eat. Eat mainly carbs. Leave the big meal for after the run. As for for your flat feet there are shoes for that, maybe you should go to a store that sells running shoes and ask people there, they should be able to recommend you shoes that are made for flat feet that support your arches so they don't collapse. As for stomping you need to learn to step lighter on the ground. This takes time don't worry. Just imagine you run on egg shells and try not to break them :)) but a proper shoe for you will help a lot since you have flat feet. I would consider orthotics if shoes don't help

@EvgeniZyntx When it comes to legs I just roll everything. From glutes and going down to quads, hams calves and even shins sometime. Always have tight calves after a run and can't stretch those pretty good since calves are literally springs
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 usually just a leg shakeout and stretching gets my legs back in place but last to months I've seen tightness in my left. So yeah. I roll *everything* now. I'm even traveling with a rolling stick.
  • PaulaSchlotterbeck
    PaulaSchlotterbeck Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm still plugging along... I'm hoping to do a 5k on the trails during the next week- that'll be the first time I do one outside as my others have been on the treadmill. I'm so happy to see sunny, spring-like weather in the 5 day forecast!

exercise.png
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    My modest contribution thus far for April:

4/1 - walked/rest
    4/2 -1.2 miles
    4/3 - 1.6 miles
    4/4 - walked/rest
    4/5 - 1.6 miles
    4/6 - 1.2 miles
    4/7 - 2.4 miles

This time around, I'm planning to stick with 5k and shorter and just see what I can do with speeding things up. For the next few weeks though, my goal is don't die and don't pass out.

Adding:

Friday 4/8 - rest day
    Saturday 4/9 - 3.4 miles (also heavy legs day)

I'm feeling much better. I stopped running regularly at the beginning of 2015 and I've felt it. My asthma has been acting up and I haven't had as much energy when lifting weights. Today was the first day where my lungs opened up and I enjoyed the run. I'm running a 5km (the first since December) with the family next weekend, and I'm very much looking forward to it! Tomorrow will be a longish bike ride.

This thread with all these real runners is great motivation!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    ugh I typed a long post and lost it :grimace:

@ariceroni great HM super time especially in those conditions
    @whatmerunning great HM for you too!!! congrats. Also congrats to your SIL - my first HM was 2:18 also
    @mobycarp I agree with @ddmom0811 I want to follow you at Boston so we'll need your bib or something
    @kristinegift sounds like a fun day
    @robotfood wow great race, sounds wild!
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Well done on all the runs and races today - a lot of you have been very busy.

@nicolemarie999 I am doing an internal rotator exercise @AdrianChr92 shared -lifting my foot in the air whilst lying on my side holding something between my knees. If you know of another I will give anything a try. :smile:

Just below my gluteus maximus is still sore from rolling 13 hours ago so I guess I really went for it.

@michable my foot has always turned really badly and I tried to sort it once but gave up very quickly as it hurt other parts. In hindsight I can see I should have sucked it up. I can do a standing quad stretch (holding foot to bottom) on left side fine but struggle to even grab my foot on right side - it's a proper spectacle. I now see it's all related. I am now wondering if I can use this to explain away all my falls ...... :wink:
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Just a final shakeout run today, then racing the 70.3 in the morning.

4/1 - 0.5 mile (pre-lift warm-up)
    4/2 - 6.5 miles (speedwork - 6 x 5 min threshold/1 min rest)
    4/3 - 20 miles (8 super-easy, 7 easy, 5 mid-hard)
    4/5 - 4 miles
    4/6 - 8 miles (w. 6x1km repeats at 10K pace in middle)
    4/8 - 2 miles

Total: 41 miles
    Goal: 160 miles
    Remaining: 119 miles

Upcoming races:
    4/10 - Ironman 70.3 Florida
    5/1 - Pittsburgh Marathon
    9/25 - Ironman 70.3 Augusta
    10/9 - Chicago Marathon (lottery TBD)
    11/5 - Ironman Florida
  • Nedorostok
    Nedorostok Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    04/09 - 2.5 miles run
    total - 6.1 ran, 18.9 miles left
  • AdrianChr92
    Options
    @Amandajs232 it's normal to be sore from rolling. Just keep in mind to not foam roll directly on hip bones. And if you keep at it and it starts hurting or nothing changes after quite a while you should check with a doctor. It may be that's how your bone structure is and you may need to look at other things like orthotics. Anyway keep at it and don't rush it. 15 min a day is all you need and as usual make sure to take rest days. Every other day should be fine
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread. I started running last year. No races, just me and the wind. All of it outdoors on trails, to heck with the weather so long as the mud is not too sloppy!

4/1 - 6.26 miles
    4/2 - 5.5
    4/3 - 5.2
    4/4 - 6.03
    4/5 - 6.12
    4/6 - 7.01
    4/7 - 6.45
    4/8 - 7.08

Total: 49.65
    Goal: 150? Had 136.6 for March and just over 411 for the year through 4/3.