My trainer says NO BANANAS

Replies

• ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    301 grams a day

A banana has ~50g of carbs -- that's a lot of your daily "budget". 28 g of that is sugar. I sometimes halve bananas and freeze them, and use half in a smoothie because of the carb/sugar content. And sometimes I'll have a whole one just because I like bananas. :)

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

That link shows nutrients for a cup of mashed banana, or 225 grams. That's more than 2 bananas worth. They are around 20-25 g of carbs on average for a 100 gram +/- 10 gram net weight. So not too bad.
  • forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    301 grams a day

A banana has ~50g of carbs -- that's a lot of your daily "budget". 28 g of that is sugar. I sometimes halve bananas and freeze them, and use half in a smoothie because of the carb/sugar content. And sometimes I'll have a whole one just because I like bananas. :)

That nutritional data is based on a cup of mashed bananas. A average banana has about 30 gm of carb.
  • ericalillykristene
    ericalillykristene Posts: 26 Member
    I just joined this yesterday lots of people arguing geeze. Just do you and what makes you happy. I don't love bananas I'd eat on the run or in protein shakes sometimes. I have a fixed macros diet starting next week that's why I'm not eating them. Again my overall decision to follow my macros to get to my desired weight and look not my trainers.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    I just joined this yesterday lots of people arguing geeze. Just do you and what makes you happy. I don't love bananas I'd eat on the run or in protein shakes sometimes. I have a fixed macros diet starting next week that's why I'm not eating them. Again my overall decision to follow my macros to get to my desired weight and look not my trainers.

Curious why you started this thread then??

If you don't like bananas don't eat them.
  • EmilyBielfelt
    EmilyBielfelt Posts: 1 Member
    Unless your trainer is a Registered Dietitian, they're not qualified to make that decision for you. Bananas are awesome for you--they're filling, have the minerals that your body needs to operate optimally, and have a flavor profile that makes them SO versatile. Eat on!!!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member

so why did you start this thread then?
  • ericalillykristene
    ericalillykristene Posts: 26 Member
    They are a registered dietitian
    Unless your trainer is a Registered Dietitian, they're not qualified to make that decision for you. Bananas are awesome for you--they're filling, have the minerals that your body needs to operate optimally, and have a flavor profile that makes them SO versatile. Eat on!!!

Serah87 wrote: »

I THOUGHT I was commenting on another thread. Someone Else posted about bananas I was just adding on to the thread. I just joined yesterday maybe I posted in the wrong spot either way I won't be in this community of negativity anymore.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Mean people thread in 3, 2, 1...

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

I THOUGHT I was commenting on another thread. Someone Else posted about bananas I was just adding on to the thread. I just joined yesterday maybe I posted in the wrong spot either way I won't be in this community of negativity anymore.

You started a thread that sounded like your trainer is forcing you to give up bananas. People replied to you. This is negative?
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    That's ridiculous. Are you allergic to them? If not, I say eat them. Just like with anything, don't go overboard.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    And why the crazy story? You made a new thread, title and all, including CAPS for attention on the NO BANANAS. You clearly said your trainer does not allow you to eat them, but you like them. Only to come back 3 pages later saying you do not like them anyway, you did not plan to start a thread and you will not be posting again. Some people are just weird...
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »

You started a thread about how your trainer won't let you eat bananas....for what seems like an arbitrary reason. If you don't love bananas and don't care if you can't eat bananas, I am confused as to why you started the thread in the first place.

I will just do me. I don't deny myself any food. I lost weight. Got to goal. Met my fitness goals, etc. I am sure I am breaking all kinds of rules by your 'trainer'...and that is A OK by me. I personally turn my nose up at rules that seem to just be there to have rules.

THANK YOU.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

You can have it removed by a moderator. Flag and report asking for it to be removed.

The community was trying to be supportive. The title of the thread and your opening post suggested that you were unhappy about not being able to eat bananas. Honestly, most trainers have little to no nutritional education. It's a very common point around here. Stick around, do some reading, you might be surprised. But thicker skin is valuable. Tin foil hats are good too! :laugh:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    301 grams a day

No, it's 30 carbs and 15 sugar for a normal 130-ish grams banana according to the usda entry on mfp.
  • wkb0228
    wkb0228 Posts: 1 Member
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Trainers are not nutritionists or licensed dieticians. Your trainer is not qualified to make this determination.

Agreed
  • OldManOne
    OldManOne Posts: 67 Member
    Your trainer is a bananaist, a banana-phobe and he is bananas too boot!! :D
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    It's the worst fruit for me too much sugar but I like them otherwise
    Your trainer is a dolt.
    Fire him! :)
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    OldManOne wrote: »
    Your trainer is a bananaist, a banana-phobe and he is bananas too boot!! :D

And the op.doesnt even like banana
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member

wait you thought you were replying to a thread by making a new one... creating a title.. and then posting it? you dont need to get defensive when people were literally telling you "its ok to eat bananas" your mad people are saying eat a food. If you dont like bananas then there was no reason to start this thread.