April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Good gawd, I need more coffee!!! At least I made myself run.

The story of my life, lol!

4/1...5.0 @ 12:00 on the TM (4.0 @ 11:15 and 1.0 walking)
    4/2....3.1 @ 11:45 through the neighborhood. My ankle hurt the first mile or so, especially on the uphill bits--downhill isn't too bad
    4/3...Rest day
    4/4...4.6 @ 11:32 on the rail trail and neighborhood streets
    4/5...2.8 @ 11:50 on the TM--that's 2.3 (just to make it even!) @ 11:15 and .5 at a walk, plus strength training
    4/6...Rest day, but I got to go help out at my son's RunFit club. Next time I'm wearing my own running shoes so I can chase him with a sharp stick so he doesn't walk so much! (That was a joke...don't call CPS or Jeff Galloway...)
    4/7...7.0 @ 11:25 on the TM (This was really 6.25 at 11:05 and .75 walking to cool down)
    4/8...2.0 @ 12:06 (just had a short time to run while the kids were at gym)
    4/9...Unintended rest day. I got dressed to run...that counts for something, right? LOL
    4/10...4.6 @ 13:39 with the slow poke pup. We ran about 3 miles in the 12:00 neighborhood and walked the rest. Well, I walked. He sniffed and did...doggy stuff.
    4/11...3.0 @ 12:00 ish on the basement beheamoth. The kiddos were home sick from school so I was grounded, too.

Upcoming Races:
    4/23 Healthy Steps Community 10K, Burke, VA
    5/22 Run and Ride Kings Dominion 5K or 10K, Doswell, VA (maybe...depends on if I'm recovered from 5/13 surgery or not)
    11/6 Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon, Orlando, FL

exercise.png
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    4/11 3.39 miles
    I stopped my watch at the 45 minute mark since that was how long I was supposed to run today without looking at my mileage first. If I had, I would have gone that last 0.01 miles. That probably shouldn't be bugging me as much as it is. :p Oh well!
    exercise.png
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Do I care? Nope. I just run.
    Got that right. Just run.

That's how I feel, exactly. Two years ago I couldn't run 30 sec without my heart jumping to 190. Yesterday finished my first 10K. I walked a part of it, ran most of it and finished happy knowing that at 46 I healthier than I was 2 years ago. :) . So that's my motto "beat yourself, run more"
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    dennie24 wrote: »
    4/11 3.39 miles
    I stopped my watch at the 45 minute mark since that was how long I was supposed to run today without looking at my mileage first. If I had, I would have gone that last 0.01 miles. That probably shouldn't be bugging me as much as it is. :p Oh well!
    exercise.png

If it's any consolation, your tracker rounds up for you, lol!

I understand completely, though. Due to some oddball runs my mileage is at 32.1 and it is driving me batty. Tomorrow I will run some other completely odd number with a .9 or .4 to make it even again, because I am a crazy person.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - Wow, a business is paying you to run now? That seems like a professional sposorship to me. Maybe they will buy running gear too? :lol:
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    And yeah, what a luxury to get paid for it! I've done the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge (3.5 miles) for my employer, but I had to pay the entry fee and it wasn't during work hours. I was able to take off a couple hours early to get ready, and my employer provided post-race food; but that's about the extent of sponsorship that I got.

So maybe I need to clarify exactly what this 5K is. It's part of an over all Team Day. Our Program Executive Office (2 star general level) has this team day every year where all the PM offices (full bird COL level) compete with each other. I don't remember all of the things involved and not everything happens on the same day. Like I know each PM office has to put together a bowling team. Each PMO has to put together a golf team. A volleyball team, a softball team, ect. And each of the PMO's compete with each other for points. The winning office get's the Commander's Cup for the year. One of the events is a 5K. And apparently not enough people from my PMO signed up for this so the guilt emails started to go out. No one outside of our organization is a part of this. It's all just so we can win points for this cup.

It's on a Wednesday morning at 7AM, so theroretically, we will be done by the time anything at work starts. It's a closed thing on some not so busy part of the base like 5 minutes drive from our offices. There is no fee, but if we wanted a shirt, we did have to pay $20. I am not even sure if it is measured that all accurately (well not to the level of a USATF level). So it's not some officially recognized race. It's a fun office thing. But I will probably call it an early day because I am "reporting to my place of duty" at 7 AM. So my job is not sponsoring me to run a race. lol I just got a big kick out of it tho. When I am charging hours for the day, 1 hour of it will be because I ran this race they wanted volunteer for. I was just goofing that i am getting paid to run. Well, in a way, I am tho. lol

They are giving out some food after the race and there are prizes.
    And no, I don't anticipate to win. I know of one person in my AG who is the a product manager within my PMO that is one of the "ringers". He actually paced the fastest pace group (1:30:00) at yesterday's HM. I believe he is even on the Fleet Feet Racing team. lol I am assuming he is regisistering for this. If he doesn't, then maybe I have a chance. There are quite a few people in my PM and PEO that run, run Vince is the fastest. The rest aren't as fast.

Then you go out to NASA. Josh works for NASA. lol I know Brandon works on the base, but not sure where. As well a few others that Vince runs with on lunch time on the base during lunch.

I am telling you, this town has a bunch of really good runners here. LOL

• Stoshew71
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Welcome all the new people that joined today. Good luck! @rwelch71 @halliepressley @KatieTee83 @Lord007 @KPGillespie and anyone else I may have missed.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 - Wow, a business is paying you to run now? That seems like a professional sposorship to me. Maybe they will buy running gear too? :lol:
    And yeah, what a luxury to get paid for it! I've done the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge (3.5 miles) for my employer, but I had to pay the entry fee and it wasn't during work hours. I was able to take off a couple hours early to get ready, and my employer provided post-race food; but that's about the extent of sponsorship that I got.

So maybe I need to clarify exactly what this 5K is. It's part of an over all...<yada, yada, yada>...When I am charging hours for the day, 1 hour of it will be because I ran this race they wanted volunteer for. I was just goofing that i am getting paid to run. Well, in a way, I am tho. lol ...<more yada, yada, yada>...They are giving out some food after the race and there are prizes.
    So they are paying you AND feeding you AND giving you free gifts??? This is a good gig!!! :lol:
  • Stoshew71
    Options

@samthepanda like @9voice9 and others have said, never compare yourself to others. Here's an example, @stoshew71 and I live near each other, a couple times a year we run in the same race. Yesterday we both ran in the same HM. He is home, showered and watching TV and I'm still out there running LOL. I don't compare myself to him (or anyone else out there) I would end up making myself crazy. In my case I run for health and fitness and I run 2 miles a day or 20 miles a day it's about my fitness. I like to "race" because it gives me something to look forward to that I can with friends or my daughter and we live in an awesome racing community.
    This is a great point. I became a bit more aware of this just the other day during my half marathon.

My sister-in-law went with me to the race, but since she is faster than me we did not run it together. It was her first half marathon, and she is who approached me about the 39.3 series of 3 half marathons we are both doing. I could tell she was interested but hesitant and figured if I told her I would do it with her she would finally go for it, and she did!:smile:

On the way there I asked if she was ready, in a tone to kind of help psych us up for it.:smile: Well, she seemed a bit unsure and not that excited really due to her feeling she had not run much recently (she hadn't but had trained well until about 3 weeks ago). Of course I reassured her, and let her know that maybe that break could help her even!

Well, to keep this from getting too long winded, she confided in me that she really does not think she likes running (who does, really?:smile:) and thinks she may stick to 5k's from here on out. No big thing, but she also seemed to be a bit unsure what the point of "running races" was and all that. I'm guessing because she knows she is not going to win (neither am I). She asked about my races last year (particularly the 3 marathons in 30 days) and this year (the 6 half marathons in 3 weeks). She said I was crazy, and I am!:smiley: She also said ultra runners were crazy, etc...

So, my mindset going in was not as pumped as normal just to be there and have fun. I did have fun, I still enjoyed my run. But it made me question a bit more about why I pay money to do these events when I can run that distance anywhere else for free. I mean, I am NOT just about the bling (although I do like it). I do not flaunt my running to people and am very humble (despite having chrome 13.1 and 26.2 lettering on the back of the car). So why do I do these events?

I dunno. They are fun though. They are a goal to meet that keeps me running in between events. I may run to set a new PR, or I may run just to add it to the list of races I have done. Or maybe I run it to level up in Half Fanatics (or some day a higher level in Marathon Maniacs). They are so vastly different than a training run for so many reasons.

So I run races.:smile: And I generally come in at the bottom 15% of my age group and sex even!:smile: I have even been dead last in a full marathon...and that was my favorite full marathon even, the one I had the most fun in.:smile:

I would love to be as fast as many, many people. And the funny thing is, the great majority of people who think they are "too slow" are faster than me!:lol:

Do I care? Nope. I just run.

While on the subject, I guess I should share a few things.

Brandon York (a local elite that ran in the Olympic Trials Marathon in L.A. a couple months back) won the HM yesterday. After the race I congratulated him. I didn't think he knew me. I just out of the blue decided just to say Congratulations and good job Brandon. He said, hey, you did good too. I been watching you on strava. You are doing good. Wait? Me? Brandon told me I am doing good? lol

When I first met Josh Whitehead (another local elite) face to face for the first time up in the Lynchburg HM last year, he was so nice to me. @skippygirlsmom said in a post in December's thread how nice he was to Skip when she was handing out medals at the Rocket City Marathon, and how Josh took his time out for 5 minutes to talk about her running track at her HS. The guy just got done running a full marathon at like a 5:30/mile pace.

A guy in my running group, decided to pace a buddy so that his buddy could finish his first HM under 2 hours. I know a couple of others that got PRs yesterday because people were with them the whole way running it with them. That seems to be how the running community is. No one cares how fast or slow you are. Everyone seems to support one another.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

So maybe I need to clarify exactly what this 5K is. It's part of an over all...<yada, yada, yada>...When I am charging hours for the day, 1 hour of it will be because I ran this race they wanted volunteer for. I was just goofing that i am getting paid to run. Well, in a way, I am tho. lol ...<more yada, yada, yada>...They are giving out some food after the race and there are prizes.
    So they are paying you AND feeding you AND giving you free gifts??? This is a good gig!!! :lol:

yeah, I guess I shouldn't complain much. :lol:

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Nice little 9 miler this morning. Weather was great out! 59f and scattered showers. No wind. legit. Kept pace easy. Had to force myself to slow down. Kept glancing at my garmin so I didn't go under 8:00/mi. I went under, but not for long. Lot's of rabbits out today. If only this was normal for Vegas. Sadly by next week, we'll be in the 90s. Then 100s by June. Ugh. Thank the lord I have a 12,000ft mtn nearby!
    Hope everyone has a great day and good luck with your training! :smile:

PS: I updated my race schedule. Added a couple more. I'll temp list it at the bottom of the post.

4/1 - Easy 10.1mi @ 8:25/mi
    4/2 - rest.
    4/3 - 1mi fun hike for views of SLC. 400ft vertical.
    4/4 - Snowboard 41.8mi 30,000ft, descent (not counted on April total), 55.8mph top speed.
    4/5 - 7.3mi mountain (steep) run. About 2,000ft vertical, 14:31/avg. Medium effort.
    4/6 - Rest
    4/7 - 4.5mi easy w speed bursts 8:50 - 5:40/mi
    4/8 - rest
    4/9 - Beginners Luck 25k trail race (2:53)
    4/10 - 7.1mi on Black Mtn, 2,234ft vertical gain, 14:11/mi (PR)
    4/11 - 9mi easy (8:41/mi)

April total - 55.2/153mi

***UPCOMING RACES*** (* means final)
    *4/30 - Recycled Run Half Marathon
    *5/7 - REVEL Mt Charleston Marathon
    *6/4 - Twilight and Beyond 50k
    *6/25 - Running w Devil 10k or HM
    *7/9 - Nocturnal Sins M or 80k
    *8/6 - Beyond Black and Back M or 100k
    *8/20 - ET Marathon or 51k
    10/1 - Flagstaff Sky Race 56k
    *10/22 - Mt Charelston Downhill Marathon
    *10/29 - Beyond Spooked Halloween ultra
    *11/13 - Vegas Rock and Roll Marathon
    11/24 - Vegas Turkey Trot 12K/HM
    *11/26 - Deja Vu 12 HOUR RUN
    12/10 - Hoover Dam Marathon
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - Good 10K! I'm thinking the column labeled "VAP" is abbreviation for the French equivalent of Grade Adjusted Pace that shows up in the English language Strava? If so, your race pace is consistent enough. To some extent, variability as seen is the result of running hard and being compelled to slow down at times. This is to be expected in a hard run of about an hour, where you will be running at lactate threshold and could need to back off for recovery after periods of being above lactic threshold.
    @MobyCarp Thanks for pointing that out, it didn't even occur to me to compare the "Grade Adjusted Pace" values! (so yes, VAP is indeed the French version of that (vitesse ajustée selon la pente) - I switched Strava to French in an attempt to pick up some useful running vocabulary...).
    If I look at it like that, then at least the first half of the race was indeed consistent enough. I had to slow down between the 5km and 7km marks to walk down stairs, and got a drink at the aid station, which would explain why I was able to speed up for the end. I think I might have to find myself a flat 10k race and see if I could stick to a pace without hills getting in the way.

@WhatMeRunning Your post on "why run races" is spot-on with how I feel about them.
    There's no way I'll compete for an age group placement - in Sunday's 10k my place in the age group was 110/164, in total place 535/681. This was my second race in Switzerland, and both times they didn't have medals except for the age group winners, so I didn't get any. I'm not sure if that's typical here - but looks like I might have to scratch bling from my list of reasons for running a race. What remains is "having a goal to train for", "enjoying to see that there are hundreds of other running crazies around", "challenging myself", ... - all perfectly good reasons for me :-)

@Stoshew71 Great race, and thanks for sharing all the photos!

@Ron_Dco Congrats on finishing your first 5k race! And under such tough conditions... I hope the pain is not due to some serious injury, and that following the PTs advice will fix it quickly.

@instantmartian congratulations on the new PR on that freezing course!

@KatieTee83 Welcome to the challenge!

@pcarvalho3 That's an amazing finishing time, congrats on running your first 10k race! And you look so happy in the finish line picture, nice :-)

exercise.png

• librarianlady2012
    librarianlady2012 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ You're in France?

We need more Euro runners (I've noticed 2-3?)! I'm currently doing some runs in France - my daughters live in Paris, Strasbourg and Lille (2) - so this week has been French, next week in Switzerland and then back to Germany.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal of 70 Miles for April

4/2 – 8.77 Mi
    4/6 – 5.55 Mi
    4/11 – 4.28 Mi

Progress toward Goal 18.6 / 70
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    @EvgeniZyntx I'm from Europe although probably on furtherest outreach of Ireland. I'll be in France in July to watch Le Tour d'France on Mont Vontoux
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Apr 01    103.7    103.7  April Fools!!
    Apr 03      6.2      6.2  Cohasset 10K, PR and 19th in my age group!
    Apr 05      5.3T    11.5
    Apr 06      3.8T    15.3
    Apr 09      6.4     21.7
    Apr 10      5.0     26.7
    Apr 11      3.6T    30.3

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – scheduled rest day
    4/2 – 13.31 easy
    4/3 – 7.83 easy
    4/4 – 4.59 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides
    4/5 – 14.14 warm up + speed work
    4/6 – 5.18 easy
    4/7 – 11.45 – short warmup, long speed work
    4/8 – scheduled rest day
    4/9 – 7.30 speed work
    4/10 – 11.67 easy
    4/11 – 3.87 easy

April total to date – 79.34

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Taper well. Arrive at Hopkinton healthy. Run Boston well. Recover well.

Today's notes – The assignment for today was 30 minutes at E. In theory, I could do this on my lunch hour. In practice, I muffed prepping for it and ended up running after the work day. But I was working from home, and out the door like a shot at quitting time, so I had some extra time in the evening. Ran around the big block to the east, which is 3.5 miles but has an opportunity to dodge into some residential streets for additional distance. The idea was to run Methodist hill from south to north, taking the steeper side as a downhill. The steep side of Methodist hill has 100 feet of elevation change over 0.4 mile. Taking it from south to north is my surrogate for the drop at Newton Falls before Heartbreak Hill, and I practiced flowing rather than braking.

On the mental side, it would be easy to get frustrated with only running 30 minutes. I chose to consider what I could do in those 30 minutes that would be useful; hence flowing down Methodist Hill. It's not much, but it's still training.

One week from today I will be allowed to run long again.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Monday 3.1 in Colonial Williamsburg - pretty day!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    6.5 km Taper Run along the flat Riverbank trails = SloMo Pace 45 minutes. The rest of the week will be Swim, Walk, Swim and then Friday Drive 600 km for my HM in Jasper on Saturday.

04/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km – 390.8 km
    04/02 – 10. Km – 10 km- 130 km – 400.8 km
    04/03 – 8.0 Km – 18 km- 122 km – 408.8 km
    04/04 – 12 km – 30 km – 110 km – 420.8 km
    04/06 – 6.0 km – 36 km – 104 km – 426.8 km
    04/08 – 5.0 km – 41 km – 99 km – 431.8 km
    04/09 –16.0 km – 57 km – 83 km – 447.8 km
    04/11 –6.5 km – 63.5 km –76.5 km – 454.3 km

exercise.png
  • lillymacki55
    lillymacki55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options