weight loss pills suggestions??

Options

Replies

• ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    what are these pills made for then?
    if nobody has anything positive to say, then dont say anything at all. i didnt come on here for an argument!

Maybe the problem is in the "weight loss pill" phrase?
    What type of products are you looking for? I'm using supplements, such as CLA, inulin, PhD series for women, I take them with exercise and sticking to my diet.

There's plenty of products for water retention as well, however they work just as good as natural products and only if you have underlying problem with water retention. Maybe your diet isn't fiber-rich that can slow your weight loss as well... natural capsaicin? Boosts fat burning as well.
    There's plenty to say and plenty to nag about when someone asks about weight loss pill.

If only that was so easy ;)

Have a lovely day ahead

yes maybe i should have phrased it better. but still, no need for people to talk to me the way that they did. what im after is something that could help with my metabolism, or something that could curb my appetite. like others are making out, im not after a magic pill lol

You definitely will not find a lot of supporters here for diet or weight loss pills. That is because there are no "magic pills," and if something claims to make you lose weight on its own, it is most likely not true or going to have some crazy side effects.

However, I do understand trying to do everything right as far as diet and exercise, but having trouble maintaining the lifestyle I would like due to my appetite or lack of energy. I have tried a lot of things from seeing a naturopath who gave me a million supplements to traditional diet pills. I would look into some different things that you could take as supplements to help with appetite/energy naturally, or trying something like Liporidex. That worked well for me, but everyone is different. Just be sure to do your own research when it comes to ingredients and the company before buying or taking anything. As many people have pointed out, the lack of regulation makes it difficult to know what you are getting. Good luck to you! :)
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My mother taught me all I need to know about diet pills. I grew up in the 1960/70s when doctors handed out heavy duty speed like candy for weight loss. She got addicted to the speed (and, later, to downers to offset the effects), stayed at 300+ pounds, and died young of heart problems. Yeah, this ain't the '60s/'70s anymore, but the Phen Fen and ephedra (natural, ha!) messes weren't all that long ago. Expend more calories than you take in, period. No need to put something in your body that could come back to bite you in the butt later.
  • JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i would like something to help me out with my diet. can anyone recommend any weight loss pills that work? i tried adios a long time ago but they didnt work. ive been looking into raspberry ketones, and detox pills, but they all have mixed reviews

I've done so many different ones. None of them worked well and if they did it was because I was working out and eating better than I was before. A good workout plan and a good diet will do a better job without harming yourself with unregulated stuff. I stopped doing them and workout and eat healthy and im losing weight at the same pace. Plus some of them really mess with your body.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Alli worked really well for me. I would recommend it.
    But... The side affects of these particular pills are the reason I stopped taking diet pills all together.
    I currently use meal replacement protein shakes . I feel like the results are quicker.

Different strokes for different folks.

I could never use Alli knowing that orange fatty discharge out of my booty is an acceptable side effect. Nope. No thank you. I'd rather count calories and just naturally maintain a caloric deficit.

Orange greasy poo is something you just cannot ever unsee. Ask me how I know. I'm sure someone has the link to that thread handy...

You mean this thread? :-)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10290083/alli-xenical-does-it-work-please-only-answer-if-you-have-actually-taken-it
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    But... The side affects of these particular pills are the reason I stopped taking diet pills all together.
    I currently use meal replacement protein shakes . I feel like the results are quicker.

I could never use Alli knowing that orange fatty discharge out of my booty is an acceptable side effect. Nope. No thank you. I'd rather count calories and just naturally maintain a caloric deficit.

Orange greasy poo is something you just cannot ever unsee. Ask me how I know. I'm sure someone has the link to that thread handy...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10290083/alli-xenical-does-it-work-please-only-answer-if-you-have-actually-taken-it

That is indeed the classic Allie thread. The furniture store story on page 1 is a Must Read for anyone thinking of taking Alli.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    This thread makes my head hurt. Let's be honest, no matter how many people say they don't work and that they're not healthy for the body, never mind the fact that they could probably screw up your metabolism in the long run.... OP is not going to listen. She is only going to grab onto any form of encouragement for them and rebel against anything that is not. Best of luck to you @sammiewammie444
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    ilex70 wrote: »
    But coffee actually tastes good and makes your stomach feel full for a bit. I guess you could have your caffeine pill with a big glass of water and it would be cheaper (w/less calories in my case)...still, I would drink coffee trying to lose, or not.
    Unless my coffee is full of creamer it does not taste good. Yes I know, you have to get used to it - I have better things to do. :smiley: I go in for tea, but it seems not to help so much, maybe the lack of ingesting the sugar from the creamer as well (cause let's be serious - International Delights Salted Caramel Mocha is delicious).

Oh, I use creamer. I just make it fit. I figure that can be most of my 20% junk and I'm perfectly okay with that.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Afura wrote: »
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Check out the mail online and read the article where a lass took supplements and shredded her stomach.
    Are we talking like...she looks shredded or the pills caused her stomach to shred internally? :worried:
    i would like something to help me out with my diet. can anyone recommend any weight loss pills that work? i tried adios a long time ago but they didnt work. ive been looking into raspberry ketones, and detox pills, but they all have mixed reviews

Can anyone explain to me why we have mfp, which is a food tracking app, but there are questions like this?

Arent pills dangerous?
    Because people believe they need a little help, just a little boost, some extra to get them on their way, etc.
    Some pills can be dangerous, while others are just a placebo.

Shredded internally.

Why aren't these questions quashed by mods, with a PM to the poster to read some content on dieting?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    eeejer wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    caffeine pills work great.

A cup of coffee is likely cheaper.

5c a pill. I don't think so.

Oh boy, here we go....
    Is a cost per mg of caffeine debate brewing?
    auddii wrote: »
    caffeine pills work great.

A cup of coffee is likely cheaper.

5c a pill. I don't think so.

Oh boy, here we go....
    Is a cost per mg of caffeine debate brewing?

No. I simply said caffeine pills are an effective weight loss pill, pretty much the only one with clinical evidence (examine.com says it is the only weight loss supplement that works). Someone else said it was cheaper to drink coffee. Even if you drink the crappiest dunkin donuts plonk it is far more expensive to drink it, plus the thread is about pills, not liquids.

Oh and I like the pun, I think you may just be trying to stir up trouble though.

Awh, cmon man. Me? Trouble? Im not stirring up anything....except my afternoon cuppa joe.

Alright I think you guys have ground that discussion into the mud by now. I don't think readers want to have to filter out your comments. Obviously the OP feels like they've been roasted. Hopefully everyone's insights are however percolating around in her head.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Im wondering what the proper medical diagnosis was for her injury/condition of her stomach.

"Ms Hannah later discovered that one green tea tablet is the equivalent of FIVE cups of green tea."

*So if I drank 5 cups of green tea/day I would have a torn stomach lining?

Especially since FIVE cups of green tea is a mere ONE POINT TWO FIVE cups of coffee in terms of caffeine which they're blaming.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    The only pills I've considered are ones that are all natural ingredients, so I doubt they would be dangerous. And I'd only buy from Holland and bar rat (which is a health store)

There is absolutely no regulation for supplements, so companies can say whatever they want. And most often that is what they think you need to hear to buy their product. "Natural" (which has no set definition--it could contain plastic and be called "natural") products (such as plant extracts and botanicals) can be very dangerous because they can be contra-indicated for medical conditions you may have or they may interact with other medications/supplements (including coffee: many supplements contain caffeine as their "metabolism booster)--both OTC and prescription. There could be additives in the supplement not on the label. Consumer reports did an examination of "weight loss pills" and the chromium they contained. Several brands, including Xenadrine, contained hexavalent chromium. In case you don't remember where you heard of that kind of chromium, it's the stuff that was in the water that gave everyone cancer in "Erin Brockovich." Taking the time to lose weight right is far better than a short cut that can give you a heart attack (or cancer).

I take a multi-vitamin and several others including iron, calcium (not together), Vit. D and Vit Bs. Those are things your body needs to function properly. Raspberry ketones, garcina cambogia, green coffee bean not at all.

Don't you think if there really was a pill that actually "boosted" metabolism and sped up weight loss that doctors would be prescribing it as we have an obesity epidemic in this country?

I'd really stop looking for the fast track because there isn't one. We've all been there. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Try and make it a sprint and you'll burn yourself out.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    none.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I don't want to argue with you either. I'll tell you about my experience with diet pills. I took phenphedrine for a while because they claimed that it kills hunger and increases energy. I did some reading on it and it seemed to be safe. In my case, that was true. So much so that I was going without food all day. I also was so "buzzed" all day, I started running about 4-5 miles everyday. I lost quite a bit of weight. I started blacking out from hypoglycemia. My resting heart rate was often between 100-140 which is where it is now when I work out. I was also throwing up from hyper-acidity. When I stopped taking the pills, my weight came back and more! Since I was only running because of the buzz the pills gave me and never actually formed a habit out of a desire to be healthy, I stopped it. Each bottle costed me $86. I think I damaged my body pretty badly with it. Now I count calories and work out. That's it. The weight has stayed off, I know I'm not abusing my body and I'm not spending money on a harmful product.

Those are my 2 cents.
  • SallyH77
    SallyH77 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I tried the magic pills when I was looking for a quick and easy fix, all it left me with is a permanent heart issue that I see a cardiologist for.

I was fat because I ate too much, it took a very very long time for me to admit that to myself, let alone anyone else and to dismiss the 'reasons' I justified everything I did food/exercise with. 'I work FT, Im a mum, I study, I dont have time, good food costs too much, good food takes too long to prepare blah blah'.

Eating well, watching CICO and using MFP regularly does take some time, but honestly, Im more happy preparing the next days food and cooking well for my family (we all benefit from it) than I was stopping by KFC. Its also shown me more long term results than the magic pills ever did.

Exercise doesnt always mean smashing it out at the gym either, Ive been there, it didnt appeal to me, so I found a form of exercise I do enjoy and I go regularly (dancing).

Multivitamins are not the same as diet pills, I take a womens multivitamin every evening and have done since I pulled my head in and started losing weight the healthy way about 18 months ago.

Please dont go for magic pills, they are not magic.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That is indeed the classic Allie thread. The furniture store story on page 1 is a Must Read for anyone thinking of taking Alli.

Even when I see those things in the store, I back away in horror after having read through that thread. I do not understand why people do that to themselves.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My son gets loads of free samples to do with health and fitness.
    He gave me a box of a product called green teax100, it's a powdered drink of green tea, probiotics and vitC, and apparently is the equivalent of 100 cups of green tea per 2 doses, which I am incredibly sceptical about...

Anyway, my point is if you are looking for extra energy and a slight appetite supressant then I would suggest something like this. I hate the taste of green tea and coffee, so it works for me.

Even though this is supposedly "healthy" and "natural" I am still incredibly paranoid to drink it regularly . It's hard to trust any weight loss pills and potions and what exactly they put in them... But it gives me loads of clean energy, not the jittery talk a mile a minute sode effect coffee gives me.
  • Ladydi02714
    Ladydi02714 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on Contrav which is prescription also, and it does give me that extra boost I need in the afternoon. I always get hungry at the end of the day and it has curved my appetite and given me energy to exercise 5 x a week. I am rejoining myfitness again, but have been eating clean for a month and taking the contrav pill for 2 months and I have lost 10 pounds. It really curbs my appetite. My advice is to ask your doctor what would be best for you.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    so i guess you guys are also against multivitamins?

Now that you mention it

Three new papers published in the Annals of Internal Medicine add to an accumulated body of research that has studied the health effects of routine vitamin and mineral supplements in healthy populations. The best available evidence gives us good, reliable information to conclude that multivitamins offer no meaningful health benefits to the generally healthy consumer. It’s time to bring an end to the era of indiscriminate multivitamin use.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/more-evidence-that-routine-multivitamin-use-should-be-avoided/
  • isatannar
    isatannar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few they are garbage and I ended up disappointed everytime the only thing that is full proof is hard work I wish there was something to just take to actually make it easier that would be great people would not be having so much trouble with losing weight
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    isatannar wrote: »
    I've tried a few they are garbage and I ended up disappointed everytime the only thing that is full proof is hard work I wish there was something to just take to actually make it easier that would be great people would not be having so much trouble with losing weight

People would have much less trouble if they stopped looking for quick fixes and instead educated themselves on realistic expectations and healthy weight loss methods.