People who say, "I'm well" in response to, "How are you?"

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Only one other person I knew who would reply "I am well, thank you." She was kinda snooty and pretentious.

So this post gave me a good chuckle.
  • deaddolly
    deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
    Walgreen's pharmacy personnel end all their conversations with 'be well'. I think that sounds stupid.
  • deaddolly
    deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
    p.s. Way too many grammar police. lol!
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    You ever ask someone, "How are you?" and they just walk right by you and you're like, "Welp."

I hate those kinds of people.

And if you open a door for someone and they don't at least smile at you ... drives me bananas.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    You ever ask someone, "How are you?" and they just walk right by you and you're like, "Welp."

And if you open a door for someone and they don't at least smile at you ... drives me bananas.

I just very loudly say "YOU'RE WELCOME."

• Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    emdeesea wrote: »

+++
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

You assume that it is wanted and appreciated to hold a door for someone. Personally, I don't like it when people hold a door open for me. If you ever see me and have an option to hold a door open for me, please don't.

However, I don't correct people who hold doors for me because they just get uppity and argue with me.
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member

Here's a really bad grammar error I see when I shop: "10 Items or Less" It should say "10 Items or Fewer"

Publix gets this right, believe it or not. .

Just another reason Publix is awesome.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member

You assume that it is wanted and appreciated to hold a door for someone. Personally, I don't like it when people hold a door open for me. If you ever see me and have an option to hold a door open for me, please don't.

However, I don't correct people who hold doors for me because they just get uppity and argue with me.

Out of curiosity, why don't you like it? I've always been taught it's common courtesy.
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member

Out of curiosity, why don't you like it? I've always been taught it's common courtesy.

Exactly what I was going to ask. Infuriates me when I see my daughter hold the door for someone and they aren't appreciative and polite enough to say thank you.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    To add, to hear someone say; "What do you got", of "What ya' got" is like fingers on a blackboard to me. Every television show I watch seems to use that phrase to great excess. What happened to "have"?

This hurts as much as when people say "where is it at?" or "i should of". I see language as the most important part of a first impression.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2016
    I would reply 'I'm grand!' Or 'dead on' (from Ireland) If you asked me how I was! Every country has their own dialogue and ways of communicating. The English language is constantly changing.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    If the question is, "How are you doing?" Then I respond, "I'm doing well."

If the question is, "How are you?" Then I respond, "I'm good."

This is a common error that annoys me: "I'm doing good." Someone pointed out to me a few years ago that Webster's changed "good" to be both an adjective and an adverb. It pains me when the rules change to match common errors.

Here's a really bad grammar error I see when I shop: "10 Items or Less" It should say "10 Items or Fewer"

The thing is, our language is constantly evolving according to cultural use. Only dead languages never change. All of the "rules" we have for grammar originated as personal preference from whoever wrote that particular rule book, and that was greatly affected by how language was used at the time. It's the prescriptive vs. descriptive debate, I guess.

Yes, I'm aware language changes. It still saddens me when the change is made to accommodate poor education rather than for improved understanding.

when i was a kid, "snuck" wasn't a word. now it is. it still makes me cringe.
  • wolverine66
    deaddolly wrote: »
    Walgreen's pharmacy personnel end all their conversations with 'be well'. I think that sounds stupid.

I think they got it from "Demolition Man"
    tumblr_mp852zgIcx1s198vzo1_500.gif

• wolverine66
    To add, to hear someone say; "What do you got", of "What ya' got" is like fingers on a blackboard to me. Every television show I watch seems to use that phrase to great excess. What happened to "have"?

This hurts as much as when people say "where is it at?" or "i should of". I see language as the most important part of a first impression.

Although it sounds like "i should of," they are saying "I should have..."
  • wolverine66
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell. I know, right now you can't tell."
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member

I did this once, and - I kid you not - the lady said, very pointedly, "I didn't say thank you!" All I could say was, "I know!"
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    i do not like being asked this by anyone who is not sincere

which is pretty much everyone
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

Several reasons... here are a few:
    1. It usually slows me down because people get in the way trying to hold open the door by sticking around at the door for too long. I want to keep moving.
    2. Some people hold doors for no other reason than to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they are "good people." Sometimes I think people use it as an excuse to ignore things that are bad for society, or at best to tell themselves how awesome they are.
    3. Depending upon the situation, it can be a security risk.
    4. They expect me to be grateful for doing something I didn't ask them to do nor want them to do.