Options
    I say I'm okay a lot

Whether I feel okay or not
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    You ever ask someone, "How are you?" and they just walk right by you and you're like, "Welp."

I hate those kinds of people.

And if you open a door for someone and they don't at least smile at you ... drives me bananas.

I just very loudly say "YOU'RE WELCOME."

You assume that it is wanted and appreciated to hold a door for someone. Personally, I don't like it when people hold a door open for me. If you ever see me and have an option to hold a door open for me, please don't.

However, I don't correct people who hold doors for me because they just get uppity and argue with me.

Out of curiosity, why don't you like it? I've always been taught it's common courtesy.

Several reasons... here are a few:
    1. It usually slows me down because people get in the way trying to hold open the door by sticking around at the door for too long. I want to keep moving.
    2. Some people hold doors for no other reason than to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they are "good people." Sometimes I think people use it as an excuse to ignore things that are bad for society, or at best to tell themselves how awesome they are.
    3. Depending upon the situation, it can be a security risk.
    4. They expect me to be grateful for doing something I didn't ask them to do nor want them to do.

I.....really? Glad I asked. I guess.

I never realized how bothersome courtesy can be for some people lol!

It's a matter of perspective. You see it as a courtesy and I see it as a bother and a risk. It may be hard for you to understand this: We do not all have the same opinions and perspectives. Yours isn't "right," it is just different than mine. Mine isn't "right" or "wrong" either, but it is my viewpoint.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I am well. Thank you very much.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You ever ask someone, "How are you?" and they just walk right by you and you're like, "Welp."

And if you open a door for someone and they don't at least smile at you ... drives me bananas.

You assume that it is wanted and appreciated to hold a door for someone. Personally, I don't like it when people hold a door open for me. If you ever see me and have an option to hold a door open for me, please don't.

However, I don't correct people who hold doors for me because they just get uppity and argue with me.

Out of curiosity, why don't you like it? I've always been taught it's common courtesy.

1. It usually slows me down because people get in the way trying to hold open the door by sticking around at the door for too long. I want to keep moving.
    2. Some people hold doors for no other reason than to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they are "good people." Sometimes I think people use it as an excuse to ignore things that are bad for society, or at best to tell themselves how awesome they are.
    4. They expect me to be grateful for doing something I didn't ask them to do nor want them to do.

It's a matter of perspective. You see it as a courtesy and I see it as a bother and a risk. It may be hard for you to understand this: We do not all have the same opinions and perspectives. Yours isn't "right," it is just different than mine. Mine isn't "right" or "wrong" either, but it is my viewpoint.

So - It's a "bother" to show appreciation to a stranger extending a small kindness to you. Okay. It's an interesting viewpoint but one that I can't understand, myself.

The "risk" I don't quite buy but whatever.

We agree to disagree.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

So - It's a "bother" to show appreciation to a stranger extending a small kindness to you. Okay. It's an interesting viewpoint but one that I can't understand, myself.

We agree to disagree.

No, you still don't understand. It is not a "small kindness." It is not a "kindness" at all. The act of holding a door open for me is a bother. I am not going to reward behavior that bothers me.

Has anyone ever told you that the 'golden rule' really should be "Do to others as they would like to have done to them" because not everyone is the same? Here is an example of that.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

We agree to disagree.

No, you still don't understand. It is not a "small kindness." It is not a "kindness" at all. The act of holding a door open for me is a bother. I am not going to reward behavior that bothers me.

Has anyone ever told you that the 'golden rule' really should be "Do to others as they would like to have done to them" because not everyone is the same? Here is an example of that.

Please elaborate on the security risk thing. Unless you work at a CIA building or something? in which case, I understand you can't admit it...

We all have differing opinions, yes, however when 99% of the western world would consider this a courtesy, surely you understand that your opinion might be considered odd?
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    To add, to hear someone say; "What do you got", of "What ya' got" is like fingers on a blackboard to me. Every television show I watch seems to use that phrase to great excess. What happened to "have"?

This hurts as much as when people say "where is it at?" or "i should of". I see language as the most important part of a first impression.

Although it sounds like "i should of," they are saying "I should have..."

Nope. They are saying should of. I always give the benefit of the doubt if someone is speaking, but I see this typed way too much.
  • jshoustontx
    jshoustontx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pie is delicious.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Wow...get a life.
  • emdeesea
    Options

We agree to disagree.

Please elaborate on the security risk thing. Unless you work at a CIA building or something? in which case, I understand you can't admit it...

We all have differing opinions, yes, however when 99% of the western world would consider this a courtesy, surely you understand that your opinion might be considered odd?

Actually I think I do understand. Some people lack the ability to understand social cues and just can't do the "social dance" that the rest of us can do. A friend of mine who is on the autism spectrum is very much like this. He's very high functioning and thinks small social talk is "stupid" and will talk forever on subjects that he is interested in, totally missing the obvious fact that everyone around him is bored. He's like the car on the highway doing the speed limit because it's the rules, all the while drivers around him getting ticked off because he's throwing off the highway groove.

I'm not saying you're totally like this, but I get it. It's hard for some people to acknowledge others, and to BE acknowledged BY others. They would rather stay in their world, doing their own thing all the time, never being bothered by anyone.

Whatever makes you happy you know? :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

We agree to disagree.

I don't work at the CIA, but I do work at a facility with controlled access, for reasons beyond personal safety.

We agree to disagree.

Actually I think I do understand. Some people lack the ability to understand social cues and just can't do the "social dance" that the rest of us can do. A friend of mine who is on the autism spectrum is very much like this. He's very high functioning and thinks small social talk is "stupid" and will talk forever on subjects that he is interested in, totally missing the obvious fact that everyone around him is bored. He's like the car on the highway doing the speed limit because it's the rules, all the while drivers around him getting ticked off because he's throwing off the highway groove.

I'm not saying you're totally like this, but I get it. It's hard for some people to acknowledge others, and to BE acknowledged BY others. They would rather stay in their world, doing their own thing all the time, never being bothered by anyone.

Whatever makes you happy you know? :)

That is actually a pretty good description of me. I always say my ideal place to live would be a remote location where I wouldn't see another person for decades. Every once in awhile, you hear about someone being "discovered" by a wandering explorer living somewhere so remote that nobody knew they were there. In an episode of Ultimate Survival: Alaska, one of the groups came upon a cabin in the middle of nowhere with a resident that hadn't seen another person in 3 decades. There are times I would like to live my life that way. Unfortunately, I have a chronic medical condition and will die after only a few days without medication. So that will never happen.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Pie is delicious.

Well thank you :blush:
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

We agree to disagree.

Well Your Welcome Anyways ,
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I usually go with "Not bad" or "Eh, I'm alive, so we'll see how it goes"
  • emdeesea
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »

We agree to disagree.

Well Your Welcome Anyways ,

LOL ditto! :)
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options

It's a matter of perspective.

We agree to disagree.

Yes, it is a matter of perspective.
    The "risk" is easy for me to understand and not something you have to "buy".
    My SO is a 22 year combat vet with severe PTSD. People standing behind him in line at the grocery, unexpected noise, sitting in a restaurant...all things with "risk" involved. Opening doors is on that list. He will politely wait or act like he is going to smoke to avoid it.
    I don't ask or expect people to understand, but it isn't something to mock either.

Many of us are blessed to never have had to live anywhere near danger. Misunderstanding people who are hyper-vigilant is common.
  • krazgrl
    krazgrl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    But "Doing Good" vs. "Doing Well" are quite different. lol :joy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    This thread went a weird direction. I also don't really like people holding the door open for me because I always feel a little awkward and don't really like interacting with people, especially if I'm just a bit too far away and have to rush. I still thank people though because....if you can choose to be nice, why would you choose not to be? :error: All you do by not thanking people is make a stranger's day that little bit worse for literally no reason, it's not like they know you're the weirdo who doesn't like to have doors held for them and they won't use that information to not hold doors in the future. They'll just be a little unhappier, and if you really want to make them unhappy because they made you unhappy accidentally...that's revenge and revenge over holding the door is just silly.

Anyway I used to care about grammar as an English major in college but I've matured and realized that it's pretty petty to get like that over words when I know exactly what the person means. If you convey your meaning, you succeeded at languages.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I love the internet!