10 week horseback riding challenge

Shoebacha1
Shoebacha1 Posts: 2,113 Member
I find I have been taking for granted that my horses are always going to be there when I am ready to ride. I live on a ranch with an indoor and outdoor arena and over 100 acres, yet I have only ridden my horse once in the last few months. I am working 6 days a week and 12+ hours, but I need to make myself get out there and ride at least one of them on Sundays. Any other horse folks out there who would like to join me in committing to ride a horse at least once per week for 10 weeks?

Replies

• lkirchner82
    lkirchner82 Posts: 31 Member
    I'm in! On my way to the barn right now.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member
    I try to ride every Saturday. Sometimes the weather gets in the way, but I can *probably* manage 10 in a row.
  • Shoebacha1
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Not fair. :( I'd do this in a heartbeat if I had horses.

If you were in the Stillwater, Oklahoma area, you could come ride with me. Check out on Craigslist in the farm and garden listings. I have posted looking for riding buddies before. You could post an ad saying you would like to ride and maybe someone will let you ride theirs? I let people ride mine for free, but I am sure you could find lease options.
  • Shoebacha1

Great! Enjoy! What kind of riding do you do?
  • Shoebacha1
    I try to ride every Saturday. Sometimes the weather gets in the way, but I can *probably* manage 10 in a row.

I understand that! I used to only have a small 3 acre lot and if it rained it was worthless to try and ride because of all the mud. Luckily, now I have an indoor arena for bad weather days. I hope you manage! What kind of riding do you do?
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    You bet! Spring is here, so I'm ready to get my horse back in shape. Lunged him tonight and hope to ride Friday.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Shoebacha1 wrote: »

I understand that! I used to only have a small 3 acre lot and if it rained it was worthless to try and ride because of all the mud. Luckily, now I have an indoor arena for bad weather days. I hope you manage! What kind of riding do you do?

Primarily dressage, but also some small jumps. I've got a pretty green little mare and we're trying out lots of things to see what she likes. :) What about you?
  • Shoebacha1
    I just piddle in the arena and do trail riding. Nothing fancy.
  • lkirchner82

Great! Enjoy! What kind of riding do you do?

My gelding is 29 and is living the life of luxury as a spoiled retiree. So I ride my friend's western pleasure horses primarily. I have also recently begun taking hunt seat lessons. My goal in life is to spend as much time with horses as I possibly can, so I really don't care what I do with them, as long as I get to be around them!
  • Shoebacha1
    My favorite gelding is approaching 20, but still spunky as all get out.
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    I usually ride twice a week as the mare is about 24 and a little arthritic. Sometimes work and other stuff gets in the way though. Hopefully once a week for 10 weeks is do-able for me as it just fits in before I go away for a week :)
  • Shoebacha1
    Sounds good! Look forward to hearing about your rides.
  • Mouse_Potato
    I just piddle in the arena and do trail riding. Nothing fancy.

Piddling is awesome. :) When I got my girl vet checked they asked me what I planned to do with her. I said a little jumping, a little dressage, some trail riding, maybe try endurance riding. They said "Oh, you plan to *enjoy* her!"
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Yeah, love that there are other horsey folks here! I have a jumping lesson scheduled for today. I am trying to commit to 2 to 3x per week, but that is dicey considering I work full time and have young kids and a husband with a nutty schedule. I have been fox hunting and showed hunter jumper (for the first time!) last summer, but have now been dabbling with dressage and considering doing eventing (really low level). I just read a fiction book about saddlebreds, and was interested enough that I found a barn about 7 miles away, so I am toying with that idea, too. I grew up riding, training, and showing Tennessee walkers, so I think that world is probably closer to what I grew up with. I currently half lease an Irish draft who is a fantastic foxhunter.
  • Shoebacha1
    I have played around a bit with low jumps in the arena and on the trail. I ride one of my geldings through town. When we go to Sonic, the staff bring him out carrots and apples. LOL
  • Shoebacha1
    Yeah, love that there are other horsey folks here! I have a jumping lesson scheduled for today. I am trying to commit to 2 to 3x per week, but that is dicey considering I work full time and have young kids and a husband with a nutty schedule. I have been fox hunting and showed hunter jumper (for the first time!) last summer, but have now been dabbling with dressage and considering doing eventing (really low level). I just read a fiction book about saddlebreds, and was interested enough that I found a barn about 7 miles away, so I am toying with that idea, too. I grew up riding, training, and showing Tennessee walkers, so I think that world is probably closer to what I grew up with. I currently half lease an Irish draft who is a fantastic foxhunter.

I would love a draft or draft/mix! 2 of my boys are on the smaller side, practically ponies but stout. My old man is tall and slender. When one of them passes, I will be getting a draft cross.
  • Shoebacha1
    I am having a tough food day.
    Before I read about it in the PCOS for Dummies book, I always thought it was just a problem with me....but knowing that PCOS is what is causing this urge to binge eat on occasion helps me ignore and control it. Now instead of feeling like I have piss poor self control and am a self-sabatager, I understand the urge is actually chemically induced. Lets me feel I am in control of myself again, and helps me know the hunger pains are not really me being hungry, but my out of whack system telling me lies. I will continue to eat as normal and increase my water intake, and give the finger to these lies from my tummy.
  • lkirchner82
    edited April 2016
    I trail rode for an hour today. Sunny and 75 degrees - what a perfect way to spend a spring day!
  • Shoebacha1
    I am so jealous! I am hoping the weather is nice on Sunday. Would hate to have to ride in the indoor arena...