Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Diet soda and weight loss?

Replies

• MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    I'll let you kids continue to believe the "science" that you all have come to know. I don't consume it. I used to, I used to love soda. But after losing 135 pounds, I decided it wasn't worth my health. I don't want to bother arguing, because I've learned that I can lay out facts, and no matter what I present...it won't change your minds. SO continue drinking it. I'll stick to my water and coffee.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Yeah the sodium argument is super weird.

It has 40 mg of sodium. A teaspoon of salt has 2325 mg of sodium.

When I toss a pinch of salt on my vegetables when cooking them, that has to be more than 40 mg of sodium, then.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    I know everyone keeps saying that you can still lose weight drinking diet soda, and that is true, but there's something more important to that than losing weight. It's the fact that it messes with your kidneys over time. All that sodium is really bad for your kidneys to process and for your heart. I found this link online about how diet soda can affect your kidneys if anyone is interested.
    https://kidney.org/news/kidneyCare/spring10/DietSoda
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    KAYRRIE wrote: »
    So I have a huge diet soda habit and a friend at work insists that despite being 0 calories, diet soda is negatively impacting my weight loss.

Thoughts?

I highly agree. 1st that fake sugar they put in it is horrible for you. But most importantly, the sodium they use to flavor it is so bad for your heart and causes you to swell. That's what causes water retention, and 'causes your kidneys to over work because it's something that's not natural for us. Water would be your best bet, and believe me I know what soda withrawal feels like, I was a soda addict too. Loved my soda, and once in a blue I sneak in a soda and it's the equivalent of eating an amazin piece of cake for me when i drink it. Cause of that feeling, i had to ban it from my house. You'll feel that prob for the 1st week or 2 but it really does get easier. If you don't feel you can quit, maybe you can just challenge yourself not to drink it for 1 or 2 weeks and see how you feel at the end of that. Wish you the best with this.

Where in my profile picture do you see large amounts of 'swelling'? I drink several cans of diet soda a day, have a bmi of 20.7, and I'm also at a very low risk for heart disease per the health markers my doctor goes by. And my kidneys work just fine.

Oiy, the things people come up with :p
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I know everyone keeps saying that you can still lose weight drinking diet soda, and that is true, but there's something more important to that than losing weight. It's the fact that it messes with your kidneys over time. All that sodium is really bad for your kidneys to process and for your heart. I found this link online about how diet soda can affect your kidneys if anyone is interested.

As covered above (are you not reading the other posts?), all WHAT sodium?
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Drinking a diet soda right now...and my insides are just fine.

lol, which I had your xray vision.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

But there isn't "so much sodium" in diet soda...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Just for fun:
    Deadly dose of aspartame: over 10g/kg
    https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/gmm_rpts/gmm1.pdf

Table Salt: 3 g/kg
    Caffeine: 0.2 g/kg
    http://ei.cornell.edu/teacher/pdf/ATR/ATR_Chapter1_X.pdf

• mespreeman
    mespreeman Posts: 70 Member
    alexzenk86 wrote: »
    continue to believe the "science"

I will. You know why?

ibn4rvjh920w.jpg

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Dem chemicals tho.

Anyone remember when 'chemicals' first became the latest trendy scapegoat by people who like to pretend they're down wit da science? I mean we've got this and toxins, sugar, bad carbs, bad fat, processed food, white flour, cholesterol, hormones in milk...with all of these things out there which apparently hurt our body I'm surprised the Western population hasn't been wiped out. Bring on Skynet, because we're clearly invincible.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    All these "chemicals" that are suppose to be killing us, how come I don't see dead bodies everywhere?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »
    All these "chemicals" that are suppose to be killing us, how come I don't see dead bodies everywhere?

Maybe diet soda made everyone blind?
    Maybe all the chemicalz dissolved the bodies?
    Maybe all the sodium (that isn't) in the drinks spontaneously combusted?

:)
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    richln wrote: »
    I would stay away from diet anything. I used to have a huge dependency on soda, and I know what it can do to the body. The chemicals they put in soda alone should make you second question yourself when you drink diet soda. Just because it has 0 calories doesn't make it healthy. Pay attention to they put into the drink. I stick to water, coffee and tea.

Which chemicals would be the worrisome ones?

Lets go to school shall we?

First off, your body was never mean to digest any of the ingredients listed in soda. Past the first ingredient, and starting with Caramel E150D ( notice I'm looking at diet coke) this has been linked to cancer. To me, don't want to consume that. Sorry. Next ingredient, sweetners, Aspartame, and Acesulfame K, Both were produced to be safe alternatives to using sugar, yet have been linked to many healthy problems over the years. Next, Phosphoric Acid, this is the product you hear about that eats away at bones, teeth, and causes kidney stones. Why is it soda you ask?? Just to give it a sharp taste...Next, probably the two least harmful ingredients depending on the person, caffeine and citric acid.

This is why I stopped drinking soda. Most of these companies do not care about you as a person. They want to make money! So they dump all this crap into their drinks not caring what it does to the inside of a person, so they can make a profit.

Sounds like the FDA must have really dropped the ball on this one. How did it manage to get through the cracks?

I don't think the FDA really cares to much about what goes into food. Have you ever read what you consume? Look at all the packaged food out there. IT will blow your mind.

Do yourself a favor-check out Mind Pump, they are a fitness Podcast. They talk about stuff like this on some of their shows, along with talking about the corruption in the fitness industry, and they know their stuff too.

66RsZst.png

Our bodies are made to process chemicals. That's why you have a liver and kidneys, stop listening to woo like Mind Pump.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member

Did you read the other posts in the thread regarding sodium?

It has about the same amount of sodium as tap water.
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    I drink 2 a day, and it has had no effect on my 75+ pound weight loss.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member

Illuminati.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2016

Because of all those man made, evil, processed chemicals known as medicine.