Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Diet soda and weight loss?

Replies

• MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    alexzenk86 wrote: »
    richln wrote: »
    I would stay away from diet anything. I used to have a huge dependency on soda, and I know what it can do to the body. The chemicals they put in soda alone should make you second question yourself when you drink diet soda. Just because it has 0 calories doesn't make it healthy. Pay attention to they put into the drink. I stick to water, coffee and tea.

Which chemicals would be the worrisome ones?

Lets go to school shall we?

First off, your body was never mean to digest any of the ingredients listed in soda. Past the first ingredient, and starting with Caramel E150D ( notice I'm looking at diet coke) this has been linked to cancer. To me, don't want to consume that. Sorry. Next ingredient, sweetners, Aspartame, and Acesulfame K, Both were produced to be safe alternatives to using sugar, yet have been linked to many healthy problems over the years. Next, Phosphoric Acid, this is the product you hear about that eats away at bones, teeth, and causes kidney stones. Why is it soda you ask?? Just to give it a sharp taste...Next, probably the two least harmful ingredients depending on the person, caffeine and citric acid.

This is why I stopped drinking soda. Most of these companies do not care about you as a person. They want to make money! So they dump all this crap into their drinks not caring what it does to the inside of a person, so they can make a profit.

Sounds like the FDA must have really dropped the ball on this one. How did it manage to get through the cracks?

I don't think the FDA really cares to much about what goes into food. Have you ever read what you consume? Look at all the packaged food out there. IT will blow your mind.

Do yourself a favor-check out Mind Pump, they are a fitness Podcast. They talk about stuff like this on some of their shows, along with talking about the corruption in the fitness industry, and they know their stuff too.

66RsZst.png

Our bodies are made to process chemicals. That's why you have a liver and kidneys, stop listening to woo like Mind Pump.

WOW. If that is what is in your blueberries...You are eating the wrong damn blueberries. I feel sorry for your body. Second. Maybe if you would open your mind for 30 seconds and listened to Mind Pump instead of the keyboard warriors here, you would learn something. That is all. Carry on.

And, just to make a statement, I am not trying to piss anyone off. I made a simple statement about the crap going into these drinks. I don't used to drink them. Hell I would drink 4-5 a day. I loved soda. I still love soda. All I was simply saying was that we have become numb to the crap that the government is allowing into our food, and we just carry one. Ya you may be healthy today, or next year. But what about 20 years-30 years. Let me know how your doing then.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I would stay away from diet anything. I used to have a huge dependency on soda, and I know what it can do to the body. The chemicals they put in soda alone should make you second question yourself when you drink diet soda. Just because it has 0 calories doesn't make it healthy. Pay attention to they put into the drink. I stick to water, coffee and tea.

First off, your body was never mean to digest any of the ingredients listed in soda. Past the first ingredient, and starting with Caramel E150D ( notice I'm looking at diet coke) this has been linked to cancer. To me, don't want to consume that. Sorry. Next ingredient, sweetners, Aspartame, and Acesulfame K, Both were produced to be safe alternatives to using sugar, yet have been linked to many healthy problems over the years. Next, Phosphoric Acid, this is the product you hear about that eats away at bones, teeth, and causes kidney stones. Why is it soda you ask?? Just to give it a sharp taste...Next, probably the two least harmful ingredients depending on the person, caffeine and citric acid.

This is why I stopped drinking soda. Most of these companies do not care about you as a person. They want to make money! So they dump all this crap into their drinks not caring what it does to the inside of a person, so they can make a profit.

Sounds like the FDA must have really dropped the ball on this one. How did it manage to get through the cracks?

I don't think the FDA really cares to much about what goes into food. Have you ever read what you consume? Look at all the packaged food out there. IT will blow your mind.

Do yourself a favor-check out Mind Pump, they are a fitness Podcast. They talk about stuff like this on some of their shows, along with talking about the corruption in the fitness industry, and they know their stuff too.

66RsZst.png

Our bodies are made to process chemicals. That's why you have a liver and kidneys, stop listening to woo like Mind Pump.

WOW. If that is what is in your blueberries...You are eating the wrong damn blueberries. I feel sorry for your body. Second. Maybe if you would open your mind for 30 seconds and listened to Mind Pump instead of the keyboard warriors here, you would learn something. That is all. Carry on.

And, just to make a statement, I am not trying to piss anyone off. I made a simple statement about the crap going into these drinks. I don't used to drink them. Hell I would drink 4-5 a day. I loved soda. I still love soda. All I was simply saying was that we have become numb to the crap that the government is allowing into our food, and we just carry one. Ya you may be healthy today, or next year. But what about 20 years-30 years. Let me know how your doing then.

The bolded are my thoughts exactly!

• bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    In my personal experience, the more sweet/salt and hyper-palability I add to my foods, the more likely I am to over-eat or crave things, even when I'm not hungry. This applies to MIO in water and stevia too. This doesn't apply to everyone and diet soda is fine, but if you have trouble with distinguishing hunger from pleasure, perhaps the artificial sweeteners may be thwarting you in some ways.

Since I stopped using lots of artificial flavourings I've found it SIGNIFICANTLY easier to recognize my body's hunger queues and stop eating when I'm full, which in turn has given me a better relationship with food. I think I probably appreciate naturally flavourful things more as well; raisins, bananas, peppers, veggies, etc.

It's only been about 2.5 weeks since I stopped smothering my food in stevia, vanilla extract, myprotein flav-drops, etc, but after reading "The Pleasure Trap" and giving low salt/sugar a shot, I'm pretty shocked at how quickly I feel satisfied and no longer desire food after I've eaten.

To be fair though, I was one of those people who had to make every bowl of oatmeal taste like pudding with coco powder, stevia, etc. I added tons of it to my smoothies too, and I smothered my veggies in srirracha.

Just something to think about if you're struggling like I was with always feeling "hungry" or weak-willed.
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »

66RsZst.png

Lol - that IS the chemical makeup of all blueberries... Knowledge fail, bro.

Your right. I jumped the gun. I was wrong. But see, I can admit that I was wrong. I did my research because I second guessed myself. But it doesn't take away the fact the original argument. But whatever. Think what you. Here's me being humble admitting I was wrong about the one post about blueberries. Funny.....
  • kperchang
    kperchang Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    If anyone thinks that the chemical make up in a blueberry is no better for you than that which is in diet soda... You have lost your damn mind. There is literally no argument here. Sure you can lose weight and still drink diet sodas. But should you? Whole foods always trump processed/artificial foods from a health standpoint. every. Damn. time. And yeah, maybe you feel great now. But, the heavy use of artificial sweeteners are a relatively new thing. We don't know yet what the effects are on a long term (40+ years). How defensive all of the Diet Soda drinkers are is the reaction of an addict. "I feel decent, and am losing weight and I shoot up 3 times a day. It must not be that bad for me"

Do what you want. It's your body and your health. But you cannot argue that Diet soda "healthy."
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    kperchang wrote: »
    If anyone thinks that the chemical make up in a blueberry is no better for you than that which is in diet soda... You have lost your damn mind. There is literally no argument here. Sure you can lose weight and still drink diet sodas. But should you? Whole foods always trump processed/artificial foods from a health standpoint. every. Damn. time. And yeah, maybe you feel great now. But, the heavy use of artificial sweeteners are a relatively new thing. We don't know yet what the effects are on a long term (40+ years). How defensive all of the Diet Soda drinkers are is the reaction of an addict. "I feel decent, and am losing weight and I shoot up 3 times a day. It must not be that bad for me"

Do what you want. It's your body and your health. But you cannot argue that Diet soda "healthy."

Diet soda has been around for 60 years

Artificial sweeteners are the most studied food additive in the world ever

Aspartame is the same chemical composition as amino acid ...there's a great thread somewhere, I'm pretty sure it would have already been linked

I think people are arguing that diet soda is not unhealthy ...the onus is on you to prove what the issue is
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    There is proof that hydration is healthy. I don't think anyone would debate that. Diet soda is 99% water and contains much more than a blueberry. In the right circumstances, I could absolutely see a soda or diet soda as healthier than a cup of blueberries.

A great reminder that "healthy" is all relative to circumstance.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    One point which may have already been mentioned is acid erosion ( not read through every comment! )

I'm a dental hygienist and the major problem I see with carbonated drinks is the severe damage it has on enamel. It dissolves the enamel leading to sensitivity, chipping and potentially the need for huge amounts of restorative dental work.

Just worth being aware of those side effects
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Wow, this got heated. Personally, I despise diet soda. That's me. I think someone drinking diet soda instead of sugary soda is far healthier. I think someone losing weight is better than the alternative. Someone shouldn't have to defend themselves for making an obviously better choice.