Most disgusting thing you've ever tried in your weight loss/gain journey

Duchy82
Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
OK I'm just wondering what the most disgusting thing/recipe you have tried during this journey.

I came across a chocolate banana mug cake recipe that seemed like a tasty idea it involved 1egg, 1ripe banana and 2/3 tbsp of cocoa powder nothing wrong with any of those ingredients, combined though was absolutely disgusting. It was bitter and tasteless at the same time, the texture was horrible nothing cakey about it, more like microwave omelette flavoured with way to much cocoa and the smell ugh! My whole house reeks. I quickly had to grab some fruit to get the taste out of my mouth! No more crazy cooking ideas for me I'll stick with tried and tested.

Please share yours!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Cauliflower
  • Duchy82
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Cauliflower

Oh agreed I absolutely hate cauliflower, yuk!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    pork rinds - IN stuff or as a breeding they're OK but by themselves? GAG
  • Duchy82
    1. Sweet potatoes. All the resistant starch, the enticing vitamins etc... I finally caved in and bought the unfamiliar tuber. Made sweet potato oven fries with deliberate herbs and seasonings. After the first bite, it ended up in the trash. YUCK! Vegetables are not supposed to be THIS SWEET. I guess the name is literal. Lesson learned. And I'm not even a picky eater when it comes to vegetables and often fall in love with any new vegetable I try.

2. Banana oat pancakes. I love bananas. I love oats. I love maple syrup. What could go wrong? Just no. You would only feed someone pancakes with this texture if you were deliberately trying to perfect your torture techniques.

3. Steak. Lovely protein content, and must be served in high end restaurants for a reason. How stupid of me not to realize that just because it's fancy meat, it doesn't make the flavor any less "meaty". When you hate something you hate it, even if it comes in a fancy package. Ended up ordering grilled chicken with potatoes and spinach, and $70 gone down the drain.

4."Korean style" steamed microwave eggs. I don't even want to remember that I ever tried them.

5. Low fat hard cheese. Just save your money and chew on rubber instead. You won't even tell the difference with your eyes closed.

Yup I have also tried sweet potato fries got to say I will always, always prefer normal potato fries. I will eat roasted sweet potato in a medley with squash, carrots and parsnips but not as fries.

Definitely sticking with turning my overripe bananas into banana bread or banana muffins and definitely prefer traditional pancakes.

oats belong in porridge and some old fashioned british baking such as parkin and flapjacks.

Never heard of no 4 but from today I have decided eggs and the microwave do not belong together and if I dared to suggest no 5 my husband would divorce me lol! he loves cheese I rather use less of the normal stuff
  • Duchy82
    Phrick wrote: »
    pork rinds - IN stuff or as a breeding they're OK but by themselves? GAG

Mmmm pretty much love anything pork related but never had pork rinds they are essentially puffed pork skin right?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    The 1 2 3 cake thing. Not even worth the 100 calories and just tastes like a sorry cake.
    Those oatmeal/banana cookies. Just no.
    Mung bean noodles. YUCK.
    Some seaweed snacks from Trader Joe's.

As a whole I'm very leery of those 'mug cakes' now too.

(I do love cauliflower)
  • Duchy82
    I used a microwave. It was horrible. It did not look like the picture. Not sweet at all. Don't even try it.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/05/14/1-minute-coffee-cake-in-a-mug/

Looks like it should taste good but I will take your word for it. I have experimented with applesauce to replace butter in a oat and raisin cookie recipe before, it tasted alright but wasn't as good as the original. I have resigned myself to just having to bake less frequently and sticking to the original recipes; none of these weird substitutions.

Steamed sponge pudding is the only sweet I find that doesn't get ruined by baking in the microwave everything else.... belongs in the oven.
  • Duchy82
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The 1 2 3 cake thing. Not even worth the 100 calories and just tastes like a sorry cake.
    Those oatmeal/banana cookies. Just no.
    Mung bean noodles. YUCK.
    Some seaweed snacks from Trader Joe's.

As a whole I'm very leery of those 'mug cakes' now too.

(I do love cauliflower)

Had to Google 1 2 3 cake and definitely doesn't appeal ugh more evidence that the microwave and cake do not go together.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Since I generally don't believe in low fat, non fat, light, etc. I never really tried 'diet' food but the few things I can recall with a shudder are -
    Baby zucchini - tasted like what I would think poison taste like, ultra bitter
    Brown rice - yuck!
    High protein pasta - pasta is a comfort food for me so it needs to be pleasant tasting
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Vegetarian tuna in a can..... Nope just no.... Also vegetarian crab cakes I'm not sure how they made a flavor that could make me want to barf just thinking about it again but they did

• Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Banana pancakes - never again. Ugh. Even the children said that they were disgusting (and my littlies will eat anything).
  • Duchy82
    Vegetarian tuna in a can..... Nope just no.... Also vegetarian crab cakes I'm not sure how they made a flavor that could make me want to barf just thinking about it again but they did

Sounds awful!
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Wheat grass drink
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member

I have never heard of vegetarian tuna in a can, I can only imagine D:

My things are liver (was trying to up iron intake) and vanilla Vega protein powder. I got a tub of the latter because it was on cheap at Costco and I'm going to finish it because I don't want to waste it, but when I drink it by itself I refer to it as 'sadness in a cup.'
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I'd have to say a mug cake I made was the most gross as well. The first time I tried kelp noodles, gross. Still don't like them but I didn't prep them right the first time. Ummmm...other than that. Nothing. I'm not very picky.