So I was prescribed Adipex has anybody had experience with it?

Options

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    xtina315 wrote: »
    Yes and it was horrible. I lost 30-40 lbs gained it all back plus some because I was literally starving. Had heart palpitations and migraines horribly. It stopped working after 2 months. You don't learn anything to nourish your body correctly. Watch out for adverse effects like heart valve issues and so fourth. I recommend you just changing your diet.Those pills are harsh and honestly not worth the "quick fix".

I have changed my diet and I'm working out 6 to 7 times a week. I wasn't looking for a quick fix my doctor just looked at me at my first appointment with him and he said I NEEDED something for the weight loss. I trusted his decision?
    Do you mind sharing your height & weight? At your age, this seems like an extreme measure when diet and exercise alone can be successful and better prepare you for a lifetime of healthy eating.

5'3, 169. I think it's because it was so much weight gain in so little time. I was 128 two years ago and then I went to culinary school and everything went downhill from there.

You must be a good chef and enjoy your own cooking. Use this to your advantage and cook and discover ways to make your meals healthier. You can absolutely get this under control! It is within your grasp and not a seemingly insurmountable amount of weight to lose and get back to where you are more comfortable. You are a beautiful young woman, best of luck to you!

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Yes and it was horrible. I lost 30-40 lbs gained it all back plus some because I was literally starving. Had heart palpitations and migraines horribly. It stopped working after 2 months. You don't learn anything to nourish your body correctly. Watch out for adverse effects like heart valve issues and so fourth. I recommend you just changing your diet.Those pills are harsh and honestly not worth the "quick fix".

I have changed my diet and I'm working out 6 to 7 times a week. I wasn't looking for a quick fix my doctor just looked at me at my first appointment with him and he said I NEEDED something for the weight loss. I trusted his decision?
    Do you mind sharing your height & weight? At your age, this seems like an extreme measure when diet and exercise alone can be successful and better prepare you for a lifetime of healthy eating.

5'3, 169. I think it's because it was so much weight gain in so little time. I was 128 two years ago and then I went to culinary school and everything went downhill from there.

Wow. I'm 5'3", 169 now but started out 250. My doc never even brought up appetite suppressants after seeing him for years. Just told me to eat less fried food. Of course, he had no idea how much fried food I was eating, but it's more sound advice than "take a pill" without pushing me to try other methods first.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are these the ones that make you shart?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Are these the ones that make you shart?

That's Alli/Belviq.
  • actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    Options

You must be a good chef and enjoy your own cooking. Use this to your advantage and cook and discover ways to make your meals healthier. You can absolutely get this under control! It is within your grasp and not a seemingly insurmountable amount of weight to lose and get back to where you are more comfortable. You are a beautiful young woman, best of luck to you!

Thank you that's very kind of you. ☺️ I've been on vacation the past couple of months so I've thankfully have the time and resources to eat 10000000x's healthier than I was at school.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Dont always trust your doctor for everything.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I'm surprised a doctor would jump right into prescribing dangerous diet pills. If it were me, I'd be looking for a new doctor.

All you NEED for weight loss is to create a calorie deficit. This speed will help you create the deficit, but it's not healthy and not sustainable, you can do it on your own. That's why so many people say they gained so much weight back after taking it, they're relying on the pills to give them energy to work out, make them not eat, etc..

This.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

I'm shocked and a little bit horrified by your doctor. I'm older than you and outweigh you by 10# and... I don't even know what to say. You're not even in the obese category. I'm sorry, but I think it's irresponsible and short-sighted of your doctor to prescribe weight loss pills to a young woman at that weight.

• Kay_Fancy
    Kay_Fancy Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I would consider that your doctor may be getting paid to push this pill. I'd get a second opinion, or better yet, just a new doctor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

http://www.businessinsider.com/john-oliver-takes-down-prescription-drug-industry-2015-2

...A recent study of 334,000 physicians found that "when a drug company pays a doctor he is more likely to prescribe that company’s drug."

Specifically, when a doctor accepts small payments from a pharmaceutical company (<$1,000/year), he writes about 20 more prescriptions for that company's drugs each year. When payments are greater than $1,000, there can be as many as 60 additional prescriptions, the study found. (The association held true even when the researchers controlled for factors that might confound those findings.)

This practice of promotion "is worrying," says Oliver, "because we trust doctors." Due to a part of the Affordable Care Act though, you can now see payments from pharmaceutical companies to doctors online. Look up your own doctor here.

Watch the full, hilarious takedown (and don't miss the creative "ad" at the end):

https://youtu.be/YQZ2UeOTO3I
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

i've never met a doctor who had a clue about weight loss or nutrition, and even some of the best of them recommend unsafe things to help you lose weight. i've had a couple of mine tell me to eat 800 calories per day and i have tons of friends who were told the same thing by their doctors. the pills your on have many dangerous side effects that aren't rare, and will also cause you to lose some muscle, which means you'll burn less calories once you're off the pills.
  • AwesomeA1983
    AwesomeA1983 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just have to say that not all doctor's perscribe this because of pharmaceutical reasons or because they are uniformed about nutrition. I have been struggling for years. About four years ago I lost 80 lbs through diet and exercise. I worked my *kitten* off, then one day I started gaining it all back. I went to the doctor to find out my thyroid was shot out of no where. Never had a problem with it before. The doctor put me on synthroid which got me tsh numbers normal but I still gained weight and felt like crap. After about 1 year of searching for a new doctor to get me on something else that would work I found one. He tested me for everything under the sun. Come to find out that even though my tsh was normal, my other thyroid test came back all jacked up. He also found out that my adrenal glands don't function properly, and I have insulin resistance. All three of these had me packing on pounds even though I was still working my *kitten* off to lose weight. I have been to different nutritionist who all tell me different things to try but that diet is in pretty good shape. Fast forward to now....I was prescribed adipex. After the past couple of years of doing nothing but gaining he finally asked me if I wanted to try it. I had doubts, major ones, especially about gaining back. What were are trying to do is not make me a size two, but to reduce my body fat to alleviate the insulin resistance. My thyroid numbers are great after finding the right drugs and dosage, so if we can get enough weight off to get the insulin resistance out of the picture, then my only battle will be the extra cortisol in my system... Which he is already given me things to try at home to reduce it. My thought on this is, if you go to a doctor and the first thing he/she suggest is a pill, find a new one. Beside my thyroid meds, pills have always been a last resort.... And they should be.
  • ketorach
    Options
    I just have to say that not all doctor's perscribe this because of pharmaceutical reasons or because they are uniformed about nutrition. I have been struggling for years. About four years ago I lost 80 lbs through diet and exercise. I worked my *kitten* off, then one day I started gaining it all back. I went to the doctor to find out my thyroid was shot out of no where. Never had a problem with it before. The doctor put me on synthroid which got me tsh numbers normal but I still gained weight and felt like crap. After about 1 year of searching for a new doctor to get me on something else that would work I found one. He tested me for everything under the sun. Come to find out that even though my tsh was normal, my other thyroid test came back all jacked up. He also found out that my adrenal glands don't function properly, and I have insulin resistance. All three of these had me packing on pounds even though I was still working my *kitten* off to lose weight. I have been to different nutritionist who all tell me different things to try but that diet is in pretty good shape. Fast forward to now....I was prescribed adipex. After the past couple of years of doing nothing but gaining he finally asked me if I wanted to try it. I had doubts, major ones, especially about gaining back. What were are trying to do is not make me a size two, but to reduce my body fat to alleviate the insulin resistance. My thyroid numbers are great after finding the right drugs and dosage, so if we can get enough weight off to get the insulin resistance out of the picture, then my only battle will be the extra cortisol in my system... Which he is already given me things to try at home to reduce it. My thought on this is, if you go to a doctor and the first thing he/she suggest is a pill, find a new one. Beside my thyroid meds, pills have always been a last resort.... And they should be.

I'm sorry to hear about your medical problems and how they affected your weight. Glad you're figuring things out. :-)

But, Adipex is just an appetite suppressant. It doesn't reduce body fat. You still have to eat less (or move more) to lose body fat. So, while I certainly don't judge you for taking the pills, I question the rationale if the nutritionist says your diet is in pretty good shape. Maybe it needs to be in better shape?
  • AwesomeA1983
    AwesomeA1983 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I'm sorry to hear about your medical problems and how they affected your weight. Glad you're figuring things out. :-)

But, Adipex is just an appetite suppressant. It doesn't reduce body fat. You still have to eat less (or move more) to lose body fat. So, while I certainly don't judge you for taking the pills, I question the rationale if the nutritionist says your diet is in pretty good shape. Maybe it needs to be in better shape?

Yes it is an appetite suppressant but it also affects the levels of serotonin in your brain....which should help lower my cortisol. It also revs up your metabolism to help get longer lasting energy. I'm not saying everyone should take it. And people that think oh I'll take it and it will all work out should definitely stay away. But for me, the appetite suppressant I don't really need, I am forcing myself to eat because it does take it all away. But I now have energy past two in the afternoon. I don't feel so stressed. It's not a magic wand.... And shouldn't be used as one. And I'm only on it to lose 30 lbs, because that should be just enough to take me out of the insulin resistance category making it possible to lose the rest the right way. I honestly don't want a pill to do it... To me it is cheating... Especially since I've done it before. I feel betrayed from my body. But going from 135 lbs to 220 in two years with constant exercise and clean eating... I need help with at least a jump start.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm kind of iffy on having to use pills but so far since I started last Thursday I've lost four pounds.

Has anybody else taken it and how was it for you?

Let me be the first to say that in the general forum here people are generally ignorant and hateful of people who use adipex/phentermine. They will say all sorts of mean and nasty things to you if you say that you use this drug. They will also try to scare you by spouting all sorts of nonsense about it. They will tell you that they dont think you need it.. which honestly is none of their business. If your doctor has prescribed it then it is in his best medical opinion and not one person here is qualified to contradict that opinion.

I can tell you first had that adipex is an amazing tool and it works exceptionally well. I have lost 24 lbs in 2 months using adipex combined with a 1250 cal a day diet and exercise. I have a friend who lost 100 lbs using adipex and her husband has lost over 30. I am trying to lose 70 lbs and I am well on my way. I personally believe that if you have a goal that use should use every tool made available to you to accomplish it.

I want to state this out in the open that if you chose to lose weight that you must make a conscious lifestyle change in order to keep the weight off. That goes with any weight loss program including adipex.

Adipex has been around since the 1950's and is the most commonly prescribed and used weight loss drug in the country. It has been safely used by millions of people. Does it have some side effects sure it does.. but so does aspirin and Tylenol. The most common problem seen is dry mouth but if you are trying to lose weight then you should be drinking more water to begin with. You just need to understand that this is a stimulant and you can't take it at 4 in the afternoon and expect to not be wide awake at bedtime. If you follow the instructions of taking one pill in the AM then you should not have a problem with not falling asleep. Work closely with your doctor and you will be fine.

There is also a group here for people who use adipex that is very supportive and informative. I invite you to join we will all be here to support you through your weight loss journey.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »
    I'm kind of iffy on having to use pills but so far since I started last Thursday I've lost four pounds.

Has anybody else taken it and how was it for you?

Let me be the first to say that in the general forum here people are generally ignorant and hateful of people who use adipex/phentermine. They will say all sorts of mean and nasty things to you if you say that you use this drug. They will also try to scare you by spouting all sorts of nonsense about it.

As was said upthread, Adipex = Phentermine.

Here's a thread by someone who took it. Her experience was quite different from yours. So I guess that makes her ignorant, right?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
  • ketorach
    Options

Yes it is an appetite suppressant but it also affects the levels of serotonin in your brain....which should help lower my cortisol. It also revs up your metabolism to help get longer lasting energy. I'm not saying everyone should take it. And people that think oh I'll take it and it will all work out should definitely stay away. But for me, the appetite suppressant I don't really need, I am forcing myself to eat because it does take it all away. But I now have energy past two in the afternoon. I don't feel so stressed. It's not a magic wand.... And shouldn't be used as one. And I'm only on it to lose 30 lbs, because that should be just enough to take me out of the insulin resistance category making it possible to lose the rest the right way. I honestly don't want a pill to do it... To me it is cheating... Especially since I've done it before. I feel betrayed from my body. But going from 135 lbs to 220 in two years with constant exercise and clean eating... I need help with at least a jump start.
    I wish you success. It's a lot to deal with.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    why'd you guys have to bring back an old thread of mine... :|
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Huh? What thread? The link I posted wasn't to a thread of yours, unless you have another account with a different user name and picture.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options

Huh? What thread? The link I posted wasn't to a thread of yours, unless you have another account with a different user name and picture.

THIS thread is a thread I posted early last week.