So I was prescribed Adipex has anybody had experience with it?

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »
    I'm kind of iffy on having to use pills but so far since I started last Thursday I've lost four pounds.

Has anybody else taken it and how was it for you?

Let me be the first to say that in the general forum here people are generally ignorant and hateful of people who use adipex/phentermine. They will say all sorts of mean and nasty things to you if you say that you use this drug. They will also try to scare you by spouting all sorts of nonsense about it. They will tell you that they dont think you need it.. which honestly is none of their business.

Lots of us dissing phentermine, myself included, have taken it, and are sharing our experiences in the hopes that others will learn from our mistakes.

I lost 60 pounds with phen/fen, learned nothing along the way because I was artificially suppressing my appetite with a legal amphetamine/happy pill cocktail, gained it all back when I stopped taking it, and now have to live with the fear that I damaged my heart.

I didn't need it, and wish the doctor who prescribed it to me had instead told me to eat less and move more.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    why'd you guys have to bring back an old thread of mine... :|

Huh? What thread? The link I posted wasn't to a thread of yours, unless you have another account with a different user name and picture.

THIS thread is a thread I posted early last week.

LOL! Whoops! Didn't realize it was from last week. That's OK. Sometimes people bring back threads that are years old!

So, are you still taking the Adipex?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    why'd you guys have to bring back an old thread of mine... :|

Huh? What thread? The link I posted wasn't to a thread of yours, unless you have another account with a different user name and picture.

THIS thread is a thread I posted early last week.

I wouldn't consider a thread from last week to be old.
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I lost 60 pounds with phen/fen, learned nothing along the way because I was artificially suppressing my appetite with a legal amphetamine/happy pill cocktail, gained it all back when I stopped taking it, and now have to live with the fear that I damaged my heart.

You do realize that there is a difference between phen/fen and phentermine alone, right?

Anyway - there are benefits and pitfalls to using it. It comes down to you to do the research on using pharmacology to assist with weight loss... not a bunch of strangers on the internet (who have opinions, anecdotes, good advice, and bad advice... but usually not a complete picture of your own needs and requirements). Talk to your doctor, your pharmacist (who knows more about the drugs than a doctor does), and your family/friends. But, in the end, it's you that makes the decision.

Here is a recent paper on it - I've tried to only include phentermine (Adipex), but there is a new medicine that is a mix of phentermine and topiramate (which is not the same as phentermine on its own). Most of the studies on phentermine (adipex) happened in the 60-80s... but I figured go for something current.

http://synapse.koreamed.org/DOIx.php?id=10.3349/ymj.2006.47.5.614

The phentermine, an appetite suppressant, has been widely applied in Korea since 2004. However, there have been relatively few reports about the efficacy and the safety of phentermine in Korea. The aim of this study is to verify the effect of phentermine on weight reduction and the safety in Korean patients. This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study had been performed between February and July, 2005, in Seoul on 68 relatively healthy obese adults whose body mass index was 25 kg/m2 or greater. They received phentermine-HCl 37.5 mg or placebo once daily with behavioral therapy for obesity. The primary endpoints were the changes of body weight and waist circumference from the baseline in the intention-to-treat population. Mean decrease of both body weight and waist circumference in phentermine-treated subjects were significantly greater than that of placebo group (weight: -6.7 ± 2.5 kg, p < 0.001; waist circumference: -6.2 ± 3.5 cm, p < 0.001). Significant number of subjects in phentermine group accomplished weight reduction of 5% or greater from the baseline and 10% or more (p < 0.001). There were no significant differences in systolic and diastolic blood pressure between the groups (p = 0.122 for systolic BP; p = 0.219 for diastolic BP). Dry mouth and insomnia were the only statistically significant adverse events that occurred more frequently in phentermine group. Most side effects of phentermine were mild to moderate in intensity. Short-term phentermine administration induced significant weight reduction and reduction of waist circumference without clinically problematic adverse events on relatively healthy Korean obese people.

Also, check out pubmed. Here is one such paper:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6844367

A study was carried out in general practice to compare the effectiveness and tolerance of phentermine and diethylpropion in helping patients more than 20% above their desirable weight to lose weight. Patients were allocated at random to receive either one 30 mg capsule of phentermine (50 patients) or one 75 mg tablet of diethylpropion (49 patients) daily over a period of 12 weeks. They were also asked to restrict their calorie intake to 1500 calories per day. The results showed that there was a significantly greater weight loss in patients treated with phentermine which was particularly marked during the last 4 weeks of the study. There were significant reductions in blood pressure and heart rate in the phentermine group and of heart rate in the diethylpropion group. These were almost certainly related to weight loss rather than to a direct effect of drug treatment. Side-effects were generally minor in nature and the incidence and nature of them were comparable in the two groups.

• keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    xtina315 wrote: »
    Watch out for adverse effects like heart valve issues and so fourth. I recommend you just changing your diet.Those pills are harsh and honestly not worth the "quick fix".

I've had open heart surgery to replace my mitral valve (not due to diet pills, just a defect). No amount of weight loss is worth what I've been through.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Vetticus_3 wrote: »

You do realize that there is a difference between phen/fen and phentermine alone, right?

Anyway - there are benefits and pitfalls to using it. It comes down to you to do the research on using pharmacology to assist with weight loss... not a bunch of strangers on the internet (who have opinions, anecdotes, good advice, and bad advice... but usually not a complete picture of your own needs and requirements). Talk to your doctor, your pharmacist (who knows more about the drugs than a doctor does), and your family/friends. But, in the end, it's you that makes the decision.

Here is a recent paper on it - I've tried to only include phentermine (Adipex), but there is a new medicine that is a mix of phentermine and topiramate (which is not the same as phentermine on its own). Most of the studies on phentermine (adipex) happened in the 60-80s... but I figured go for something current.

[snip]

[snip]

No one disputes phentermine helps you lose weight. The point is that the risks are not worth the reward. Also, the side effects often show up later, after damage, sometimes irreversible, is done.

Of course I know phen/fen is different from phentermine alone. My n=1 was with phen/fen. Here's someone who had heart damage after taking phentermine alone:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.
  • kandicekaye
    kandicekaye Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm also on phentermine. Day 3, a generic version. And although I can say I am a little less hungry, I don't feel the energy boost that most people speak of. I'm taking half of the 37.5 in the mornings. I actually haven't have dry mouth or anything. Anyone one else experiencing this?
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

[snip]

[snip]

No one disputes phentermine helps you lose weight. The point is that the risks are not worth the reward. Also, the side effects often show up later, after damage, sometimes irreversible, is done.

Of course I know phen/fen is different from phentermine alone. My n=1 was with phen/fen. Here's someone who had heart damage after taking phentermine alone:

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.

There are side effects with every drug including Tylenol and Aspin.. Sorry you drew a genetic short straw but for the majority of users this drug is safe and effective.

Just so everyone knows Phentermine has been prescribed in the USA since the 1950's and is the most commonly used drug for weight loss. Safe and Effective.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm also on phentermine. Day 3, a generic version. And although I can say I am a little less hungry, I don't feel the energy boost that most people speak of. I'm taking half of the 37.5 in the mornings. I actually haven't have dry mouth or anything. Anyone one else experiencing this?

Its good that you are starting with a lower dose than usual and this is why you probably are not seeing the full effects of the drug. Stick with what your doctor prescribes but I predict as you graduate to the full dose you will see the full effects of the drug... both good and bad.. dry mouth is the most common side effect. Drink more water and you will be fine.
  • nzureik23
    nzureik23 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I would highly NOT recommend taking it. I was young when I started taking it, and it cut my appetite completely, which is why I lost the weight. I was not consuming very much on a daily basis because they make you not want to eat. The pills stop working after a couple of months of daily use and then BAM your appetite is back and you will most likely gain it all back if you go back to your old eating habits. It was hard to maintain the weight loss because it was lost in an unhealthy way. I was on the pills (along with my best friend) off and on for a few years. They caused heart palpitations, depression, major mood swings (I would get very angry and lash out at my loved ones), very moody, I would constantly get the shakes (it seems that my hands were always shaking), anxiety and panic attacks.. Any emotion I felt was intensified greatly. Any stressful situation caused anxiety attacks where I would shake and cry uncontrollably (this never happened to me until I started taking the pills). It turned me into a person I didn't want to be. I was on a short fuse with the pills and my anger could get very destructive. After a terrible episode of a verbal fight with my loved one, I snapped out of it and took a step back and realized these pills were ruining my life. I have stopped taking them for 5 years and I can say that all of the symptoms mentioned were a result of those pills. I was mentally unstable on them. I am a very laid back person and I have never experienced mood swings or strong feelings of rage, etc since I stopped taking them. My best friend that was on them had the same experiences as me and will never take them again. For a few years they ruined her life. Please learn from my experience.
  • kshama2001
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »

[snip]

[snip]

There are side effects with every drug including Tylenol and Aspin.. Sorry you drew a genetic short straw but for the majority of users this drug is safe and effective.

Just so everyone knows Phentermine has been prescribed in the USA since the 1950's and is the most commonly used drug for weight loss. Safe and Effective.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/phentermine/faq-20057940

Phentermine is a Schedule IV drug, a classification given to drugs that have a potential for abuse, although the actual potential appears to be low.

Although phentermine is one of the most commonly prescribed weight-loss medications, it has some potentially serious drawbacks. Common side effects include:
    • Increased blood pressure
    • Dizziness
    • Dry mouth
    • Sleeplessness
    • Nervousness
    • Constipation

Phentermine isn't a good option if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, an overactive thyroid gland or glaucoma. It also isn't for women who are pregnant, may become pregnant or are breast-feeding.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/phentermine-side-effects.html

...Cardiovascular

Cardiovascular adverse effects may be associated with phentermine. Palpitations, tachycardia, elevation of blood pressure, ischemic event have been reported. Primary pulmonary hypertension and valvular heart disease has been reported in patients taking phentermine in combination with fenfluramine or dexfenfluramine and in rare cases in patients who have taken phentermine alone. Analysis of available data suggests that fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine are the causal agents, and both drugs have been withdrawn from the market as of September 15, 1997.[Ref]

A 37-year-old woman was admitted to the hospital after an episode of ventricular fibrillation. The patient was being treated for moderate obesity and had been taking phentermine hydrochloride, thyroid (USP), and trichlormethiazide. Her previous medical history had been unremarkable. It was suspected that one or more of her medications contributed to the nearly fatal arrhythmia.

Two case reports describe patients using phentermine (one in combination with phendimetrazine) who later developed ischemic cerebrovascular disease. One suffered a cerebral infarct with angiographic evidence of vasculopathy involving multiple vascular beds. The other patient developed headache and a hemisensory disturbance of seven days duration.

A case of fatal pulmonary hypertension has also been reported in a 29-year-old woman 8 months following the use of fenfluramine (of which dexfenfluramine is the dextro isomer) and phentermine for only 23 days. Histopathological findings upon autopsy indicated severe pulmonary hypertension. She did not smoke and had no family history of pulmonary hypertension. No obvious risk factors other than obesity were present, although preexisting disease was not ruled out.

A case of restrictive cardiomyopathy due to endocardial fibrosis after short term use of fenteramine in combination with phentermine has been reported.[Ref]

Nervous system

Phentermine produces nervous system stimulation, which may result in tremor, anxiety, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dysphoria, and headache.[Ref]

Fifty women with refractory obesity received phentermine resinate for a period of 20 weeks. Three defaulted from the study due to incapacitating headaches without significant change in blood pressure. Two additional patients defaulted due to complaints of irritability.

A double-blind clinical trial of phentermine and fenfluramine involving 81 people with simple obesity reported several CNS complaints from patients taking phentermine resin during the study (twenty six complaints during the first 6 weeks of the study). The number of complaints diminished with time over the course of the study. Only seven complaints of CNS effects were reported at 20 weeks. Complaints reported by patients include sleep difficulties, nervousness, depression, fatigue and increased dreaming.[Ref]

Psychiatric

Rarely psychotic episodes have been reported at recommended doses with some sympathomimetic drugs.[Ref]

Gastrointestinal

Gastrointestinal adverse effects may include dryness of the mouth, unpleasant taste, diarrhea, and constipation.[Ref]

Dermatologic

An allergic reaction resulting in urticaria may occur.[Ref]

Endocrine

Endocrine effects such as impotence and changes in libido may occur in patients taking phentermine.[Ref]
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My n=1 was with phen/fen.

Sorry, but there is something not right with your story.

Firstly, you say you took fen/phen. And that you are now 30. Fen/phen was withdrawn from the market in 1997. So, you took this medicine when you were 10 or 11 years old?

Secondly, you (apparently) took a completely different medication - fenfluramine/phentermine. Fenfluamine is the one that is known to be associated with multivalvular disease and pulmonary hypertension. Fenfluamine (and dexfenfluramine) have been withdrawn due to their effects on the heart. Yet, you say your heart was damaged by phentermine - the drug that is considered safe.

Anyway...

Are there studies still being done on phentermine? Yes. They are available, and easily found on Pubmed and google scholar.

Is the risk/reward worth it? That depends on the individual.

Being overweight (and obese) definitely shortens a persons lifespan. It would be great if the entire population that is overweight and obese got the "gumption" and lost weight with only lifestyle changes. But, people don't do that. How many people know they have a cardiac problem and are still overweight? How many people smoke? How many people still drink alcohol to excess? How many people sunbake?

According to the World Heart Federation: If you are a woman, a BMI greater than 21 may adversely affect your heart’s health. Now, how many women have a BMI greater than 21?

Some times people need help. They can get help from the friends and family. They can get help from a gym or trainer. Some people go to dietitians or nutritionists. Some choose metaphysical intervention. And you know what, some people get help from medication.

Fear mongering is not necessary. What is needed is information and understanding.

I'm not going to judge someone because they use something like phentermine, or detoxes, or crossfit. It's up to that person to do the research and decide what is appropriate or not. But it is not right how quickly people will bully, use scare tactics, and muddy the topic because it is something they personally do not like.

Medications have side effects - these are published and widely available. These are the things that should be acknowledged by your doctor and pharmacist. If those side effects impact your own life - stop.

But face it, in the end, its someone's own choice.

And, for the record, I was on penicillin last week, the side effects include:
    nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, rash, itching, and black "hairy" tongue. Patients with a history of allergic reactions to other penicillins should not receive penicillin.
  • lmeldrum23
    lmeldrum23 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on adipex and I really like it. (I've only been on it a few days). I think its a great way to jump start your weight loss. Its not long term but for me it helps me get in the mindset that I can make it all day without eating at every opportunity. The only thing I would stress is to plan a time to eat throughout the day. That way you get the nutrients that you need. Its easy to forget to eat on Adipex, so I would stress at least eating 1200 Calories for the day.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Most Drs. only were required to do one or 2 classes in nutrition. So, just b/c they have a medical degree, they may or may not know how best to help you lose weight. They do know how to prescribe medication. They were taught that real well.

I like to go to a Dr. that works out, knows how to eat healthy, and looks healthy. I do ask my Drs. questions about these things, about what they eat, do they cook, what type of exercise they do, when do they exercise, what's their schedule like, how they maintain their weight, etc.