Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Did You / Would You Vax Your Child?

I most certainly would! Growing up, you weren't allowed to attend school or participate in intramurals without proof that you "had all your shots."

Is there a link between vax and asd / downs? MAYBE
Has it been 100% Proven? NOPE
Are there blatantly ignorant people wasting air? YESSIR

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Yes, my kids were vaccinated. We're traveling to Colombia in May so they just received their vaccinations for typhoid as well.

I'm pretty sure you still have to show proof of vaccination to attend school these days as well.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    edited April 2016
    I don't have children, but when I do, they'll be vaccinated. I don't see why not, honestly, because if you can prevent diseases/illnesses (ie polio) why not?

ETA My senior year of high school, I wasn't allowed to register for classes without certain vaccines, like HPV.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I kinda wanted her to have an education. Vaccinations are mandatory for that.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yes, my kids were vaccinated. We're traveling to Colombia in May so they just received their vaccinations for typhoid as well.

I'm pretty sure you still have to show proof of vaccination to attend school these days as well.

Heck, I was 16 and my dr looked at me like a deer in headlights when I asked for guardasil. Never been sexually active either, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member

You do have to show proof, but some states have exemptions in place. There are schools in California where 20 to 30 percent are not vaccinated.

• CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    I would get the NECESSARY vaccines. They amount of vaccines given to children has dramatically increased over the last 20 years and I don't think all of them are 100% necessary. But definitely for things like polio and other fatal diseases.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    I would get the NECESSARY vaccines. They amount of vaccines given to children has dramatically increased over the last 20 years and I don't think all of them are 100% necessary. But definitely for things like polio and other fatal diseases.

What about HPV?
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    Yes my children were vaccinated, as are my grandchildren. The folks I know who won't or don't are scientifically illiterate.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »

You do have to show proof, but some states have exemptions in place. There are schools in California where 20 to 30 percent are not vaccinated.

A new law has basically gotten rid of all exemptions except documented medical ones, i.e. the child in question is currently going through treatment for cancer, for this very reason.

The anti-science crowd is having a heyday with it because something something parental rights, but if they want to not vaccinate, they can home school or send their children to a private school that allows non-vaccinated children to attend.
  • daryan1203
    daryan1203 Posts: 15 Member
    They amount of vaccines given to children has dramatically increased over the last 20 years

This gets thrown around a lot with the implication that it's a bad thing, but I really don't see why. I guess it just sounds bad so people assume it is bad. But ultimately this kind of thinking is dangerous and leads to people being anti-vaccine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I line up for any vaccine available. It's the most natural illness prevention method available. After all, all it's doing is priming our body's natural defenses. I get the flu shot every year, got the H1N1, and vaccine to prevent bacterial Pneumonia.

I often wonder what it is about vaccine specifically that scares people. Is it the white lab coats? Approved of by mainstream medicine and science? The very idea of a NEEDLE?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I don't have kids and never plan to. But I get vaccines for myself.

For the idiots who think it is a bad idea to get their kids vaccinated: Good for you for addressing a problem... the problem of over-population, that is.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    When did we get Like buttons? Those are awesome!!!

Yes I vaccinated my children...I was also vaccinated but still got the measles... (I had been vaccinated for it but 4 out of 5 people in my house got it).
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    yes. no question.

my Dad has a hand deformity because his mom had rubella when she was pregnant. but at least he lived.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I line up for any vaccine available. It's the most natural illness prevention method available. After all, all it's doing is priming our body's natural defenses. I get the flu shot every year, got the H1N1, and vaccine to prevent bacterial Pneumonia.

I often wonder what it is about vaccine specifically that scares people. Is it the white lab coats? Approved of by mainstream medicine and science? The very idea of a NEEDLE?

What scares some people is getting injected with the virus, albeit an inert form.

I was 22 when I learned the university I went to required booster shots for some vaccinations. At least this time I knew what to expect. :tongue:
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    I vaccinated mine. I was a little nervous after reading the informed consent forms. While the risk of an adverse reaction is low, it is horrible if it's your kid.

I would do the same today.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I have a friend who lost her son shortly after a vaccination. While they couldn't prove it was the vaccine that caused his death they did receive a settlement from the fund.

She's had 3 children since then and refuses to vaccinate along with her sister who refuses to vaccinate her 4 children. To me, her and her sister's choice is understandable, but I still vaccinated my children. I'm sure deep down they are thankful for the herd around them that are vaccinated.

Most, if not all states have a religious exemption that allows unvaccinated children in school.
This discussion has been closed.