Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

McDonalds all you an eat limitless french fries?

Options

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Curiosity got me - mcd's currently uses a vegetable oil blen (canola, soy, etc). No wonder they taste like *kitten*. Shortening was bad enough, the oil blend is worse, and really not any better for you. At least tallow was a stable, saturated fat that wouldn't break down so easily. I can't for the life of me figure out why they think high temp frying with unstable oils is a good idea. But saturated fat is still heavily demonized (especially by the veggie crowd) and so I don't see them going back to the good old days anytime soon :(
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    cadpro78 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    cadpro78 wrote: »
    Also, their food goes right through most people.... and then you're hungry in an hour from when you ate it. not worth IMO.

My n=1 says that McDonalds does not "go right through me" (whatever that means but I think I know what you are insinuating) and that I am not hungry an hour later. I often get a McDouble, eat some of my kid's fries and have a diet coke. It is about 500 calories and fills me up quite nicely for an afternoon at the soccer field or whatever errands we happen to be running that day...

That dollar menu (well not dollar any more) is the bombed. McChicken is good too... but they dont have grilled on the value menu.
    I don't know if they changed their grilled chicken going back to when it was on the value menu, but it's not there now for good reason. The grilled chicken is one of the few meat products there that's actually just the straight chicken breast.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person not picky about fries? Sh1tty food is why condiments and spices were invented.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://empresa-journal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/McDonalds1.jpg

I like the new look but I thought they were dumping the clown.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    All I have to add is that this is an awesome idea for someone like me lol

I eat mcdonalds only a few times a year but when I do go I get a double order of fries and a hot chocolate. I love fries/chips in every capacity but to me mcdonalds fries are king <3

Also, I ate mcdonalds once a week growing up. My mom liked fridays to be a break for her from cooking so they'd let me and my brothers choose a takeout. I always got a happy meal. Basically I've been eating mcdonalds throughout my life, from child, to when I was morbidly obese, to now at an average bmi at age 32. I hope I'll still be eating their fries when I'm old and gray as well ;)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Back in the day the French fries were delicious. Now they are horrible. I would not be inspired to eat unlimited fries.

In Australia the fries only have four ingredients - salt, potatoes, oil, and a preservative. I think they're alright. Not the best chips going but still pretty good.

Aren't they different in the US though?

I noticed the decline when the US went into this Trans Fat crap. After that the fries have this disgusting taste and when they are cold I throw them out. So I don't bother eating them.

I used to remember when you could eat them cold and they were great!

The "old days" is actually when they used the Trans Fat crap...

That's what he means. The fries tasted much better in the old days when they used the trans fat. I completely agree. They taste crappy when they get cold now.

No I meant back (in ancient times I suppose, lol) when they used beef tallow. They haven't tasted the same since :(

Lololololol! I'd probably need dates. I can only go by what I remember from 1980ish until now, with a change coming in the late 90s or maybe early aughts. When they cut out the Trans fats around then they only tasted good hot and fresh where before I'd eat fries out the bottom of the bag the next morning.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mcdonalds stock has been rising since news. Expect other fast food chains to follow suit.
    Taco Bell unlimited deep fried cinnamon twists?
    KFC biscuits
    Burger king unlimited onion rings
    What will the future bring? What will life be 20 years from now.
    McDonalds also wants to put a toll-tag device on your car. Automatic pay through drive through.

Um, you know all you can eat places aren't a new thing, right?

Here's an analysis of McDonald's stock price and some reasons for it: http://www.investors.com/news/can-mcdonalds-keep-winning-streak-alive-in-q1/

They don't mention St. Joseph, MO.

Of course not, this concept is being tried at a new store in St. Joseph MO
    The store also features configurable burger choices and a kiosk for orders. The sales from that store will not change MCD's books by a measurable amount.

If folks are piling into MCD'S on this news, that's just silly.

Yeah, that was basically my point.

Exactly.

I used to own some and paid attention to the stock. It's been on a tear since 3q15. The reason was a new CEO and a new plan to grow their business. This won't be the last new idea we see from Mcdonalds.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    This thread inspired me to eat mcdonalds today ☺ Hit the spot!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    One of the few things I stopped eating when I started losing weight was fast food fries. I only got them when I got a meal, and truthfully they aren't worth the calories.

Unless they're Arbys curly fries. Then give me all of them.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm shocked how anyone can eat McDonalds....I think the food tastes like bad cafeteria food. I'd rather eat some hand cut fries or a real hamburger at a pub or on the boardwalk any day over McDonalds. I've only eaten McDonalds a handful of times over the past 25+ years and each time it tasted terrible.

What tastes bad to one person is going to taste good to someone else. We go to Mcds a few times a month, I like their sandwiches (especially their Big Macs), though I'm not a big fan of their fries. My favorite fries are from Checkers and 5 Guys. 5 Guys gives you so many fries (literally dump them in a bag), so it's kind of like unlimited already :)
    I think the only difference between the different sizes of 5 Guy fries is the size of the cup at the bottom of the bag. The bottom of the bag is always filled with fries. Delightful, tasty fries.... mmmmm....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    McD's is getting desperate 'eh? Trying to give it away now.

Know how I know you don't understand marketing?

please do enlighten me.

It's called a "loss leader strategy" and it is a very effective marketing tool to bring in customers and create value perception.

McD is far from desperate.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    McD's is getting desperate 'eh? Trying to give it away now.

Know how I know you don't understand marketing?

please do enlighten me.

It's called a "loss leader strategy" and it is a very effective marketing tool to bring in customers and create value perception.

McD is far from desperate.

You don't read the business press much do you?

The increase in healthier options has taken a big bite out of their market share the last several years. The 24 hour breakfast has helped some recently. But they are clearly trying to find themselves in the current environment.
  • kirbyderb71
    kirbyderb71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't like their fries anymore. Even on the rare occasion that I go there, I don't order fries. Now chick-fil-a...that's another story.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Love the idea for a smaller Big Mac option. When I go to Burger King I always get the Whopper JR. so I think it would be along the same lines?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Count me in with the 'haven't liked their fries since they switched from beef tallow' group. Burger King used to be a decent fallback, but then they started double coating the things. Ick.

These days I hardly eat fries at all. Not because I don't love them, but because I can't find a place that makes them the way I like them. My favorite are steak fries, which don't seem to be very popular anymore.

The ones I really loved were made by a local family place called the Feed Bag (closed decades ago). Awesome fried chicken, and the best steak fries ever. Crispy outside, tender starchy inside, not greasy, didn't taste of oil at all, just of potato and salt. Still miss them.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't visit McDonalds if they were giving away money.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    I wouldn't visit McDonalds if they were giving away money.

On a long run I use their restrooms. Their "food" on the other hand...
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I did not visit McDonald's much when I was eating carbs but now that they have some quality low carb options I do eat there. They have the best value on coffee in town at least for seniors.