Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Replies

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Part of me admires the FA people because even at my best thin weight, I don't have the self confidence these people seem to have.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    I am all about people having a positive body image, because I myself never had that and I still struggle with it.

No matter what shape or size you are, I think it's awesome to love yourself. When I see a big girl who is confident, I see the type of person I wish I could have been at her size.

What I don't like is when fat people complain about low self esteem and poor body image, but do nothing to change it. I have a friend who is often, you could say, "fat-shaming" herself and feeling sorry for herself, yet she will turn around the next day and talk about all the junk food she's inhaling. If you don't like it, do something about it. If you're happy with your size and your health, then more power to you!

I especially agree with your last paragraph, here. It annoys me to no end when people complain about anything, really, and refuse to do anything about it. I try not to let my reaction to this type of behavior color my judgments. I don't always succeed.
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    I agree with what others have posted, first and foremost don't be jerk. Doesn't matter if you are fat, thin, fit, healthy, obese, etc. Also, everyone's body is different and reacts differently to diet and exercise. If you don't look like an athlete, that doesn't mean you aren't healthy. That's what we use measurements, blood work, blood pressure, etc. to determine. But as a person that lost 65 lbs and 10" from his waist - you can only carry so much extra body fat and it not have an effect on your health. All of my bad measurements, bad blood work, fatigue and malaise disappeared when I lost all that extra weight.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2016
    Humans tend to forget the down side of a bad decision but remember upside where it is an affair with food or another person. Hence we repeat and repeat.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    How do I know an obese person or a malnurished person is unhealthy? Is that a real question?

Yes, it is definitely a real question
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    How do I know an obese person or a malnurished person is unhealthy? Is that a real question?

Yes, it is definitely a real question

I base that on the literally millions of studies done on the subject which have reached that conclusion.

So you are telling me that every person that is overweight or underweight is unhealthy? And, your "literally millions of studies" have concluded this?