Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Replies

• ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Being severely overweight or underweight for that matter is unhealthy. We are naturally repulsed by things that are unhealthy. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it, but all other things being equal, I do have a lower opinion of people who are obviously unhealthy than of people who appeared to be good physical condition. It's a logical reaction.

I am naturally repulsed by people who decide to have lower opinions of people based on the above.

I also think that everyone is on the spectrum somewhere in terms of healthy and unhealthy. I imagine if I took a good look at the life of the above poster, I could see a lot where I could have a lower opinion....if I was that type.

Clearly you are that type.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    They will shame me just as much for eating very healthy, exercising and being my best as much as a thinner person would shame me for being an ugly lazy sack of lard.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    snikkins wrote: »
    Being severely overweight or underweight for that matter is unhealthy. We are naturally repulsed by things that are unhealthy. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it, but all other things being equal, I do have a lower opinion of people who are obviously unhealthy than of people who appeared to be good physical condition. It's a logical reaction.

I don't think we as a species are naturally repulsed by things that are unhealthy. You might be, but I'd think you'd be in a minority, there.

In scientific circles, there is widespread agreement that disgust evolved to motivate the avoidance of contact with disease-causing organisms. But hey, there are some weird fetishes out there, so whatever floats your boat.

There's a difference between unhealthy [behaviors] and disease-causing organisms. Disgust having evolved so we don't eat things that are spoiled and could make us sick is different than being disgusted by anything deemed unhealthy. Deeming something "unhealthy" is such a personal thing, and that's my point.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member

I don't "deem" obesity unhealthy any more than I "deem" cancer unhealthy. Each are empirically unhealthy. You can go ahead and pretend obesity isn't unhealthy, but that leaves me to wonder what you are doing on a website dedicated to physical fitness, since you see no difference between the obese and the physically fit in terms of health.

I think they're more referring to your "evolution of disgust" portion than your "obesity is unhealthy" portion. Like your statement could be taken as "Human beings have evolved to be disgusted by unhealthy things, like obesity." And they are refuting it with "Viewing individuals as unhealthy and therefore disgusting is subjective to the person making the judgement, and is not so black and white."

Kind of like, if humans evolved to see fat people as disgusting due to their unhealthiness, then why would there be people with those weird fat fetishes? And there are a lot of them.

Obesity is unhealthy for sure, there's no denying that. But I don't think Snikkins was trying to.
  • Knight702015
    Knight702015 Posts: 18 Member
    I will never accept myself being overweight, it's just an easy excuse to remain that way..
    Is Christine the same person at 110 as she would be at 200. The size of the package may change but the true gift to humanity (you)remains the same. The YOU is not just Christine but everyone.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Obese people cannot be healthy. But people shouldn't be shamed or bullied for it.

Why not? Particularly at the lower levels of obesity (class I obesity) there isn't a very significant impact on health. Being normal weight but sedentary shortens your life expectancy by more than being class I obese but moderately active. An active, nonsmoking class I obese person can easily be well above the population average in terms of health.

What is true is that all other factors being equal, an obese person would be healthier if they reduced their weight. That doesn't mean obese people can't be healthy.

Obesity by definition is unhealthy.