Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Fat Acceptance Movement

1568101173

Replies

  • sunnybeaches105sunnybeaches105 Member Posts: 2,846 Member Member Posts: 2,846 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I take the stance that everyone benefits from healthier choices. I won't assume that an overweight person has failed in this department. Here is an example of a positive model:

    http://fatgirlrunning-fatrunner.blogspot.ca/?m=1

    Heck, we just lost Prince at fifty-seven. We won't know for a few weeks what felled him but my bet is heart attack.

    mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/live-prince-dead-updates-reaction-7805506

    It was mentioned they are trying to get the records of his hospital visit 6 days before his death.

    It's Prince. My bet is on drugs. Another very unhealthy habit that has been romanticized and excused.

    mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/prince-treated-drug-overdose-days-7808095

    Not sure if this story is confirmed as factual or not.

    His drug use is pretty well known. I think the poster was using his death as an example of a thin person's early death and, if so, the logic in such an argument is badly flawed. But, it's also a bad example.
  • ArmyofAdrianArmyofAdrian Member Posts: 177 Member Member Posts: 177 Member
    RobD520 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Obese people cannot be healthy. But people shouldn't be shamed or bullied for it.

    Why not? Particularly at the lower levels of obesity (class I obesity) there isn't a very significant impact on health. Being normal weight but sedentary shortens your life expectancy by more than being class I obese but moderately active. An active, nonsmoking class I obese person can easily be well above the population average in terms of health.

    What is true is that all other factors being equal, an obese person would be healthier if they reduced their weight. That doesn't mean obese people can't be healthy.

    Obesity by definition is unhealthy.

    No, it is not "by definition". Learn what "by definition" means before you use it next time.

    Yes it is.
  • snowflake930snowflake930 Member Posts: 2,193 Member Member Posts: 2,193 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I take the stance that everyone benefits from healthier choices. I won't assume that an overweight person has failed in this department. Here is an example of a positive model:

    http://fatgirlrunning-fatrunner.blogspot.ca/?m=1

    Heck, we just lost Prince at fifty-seven. We won't know for a few weeks what felled him but my bet is heart attack.

    She's not a particularly good example. She's 40 years old, and slower on her ultras than 50 and 80 year olds. She runs about 1/4 of the miles I do per week. Her average pace is my walking pace, on forest terrain, with a 40lb load.

    She claims to run, but her pace says she walks.

    What is your point, you can beat a 40 year old fat lady that is unhealthy by your definition?

    Apparently, a 50 or 80 year old can...

    If an 80 year old is faster than you, and you're 40, I do not think you can claim the mantle of "Example of Health".

    Again, what is your point. There are 50 and 80 year olds that can beat you too.

    The point is obvious to anyone without a chip on their shoulder.

    I guess I am pretty dense (along with the chip on my shoulder) so clue me in, because I don't see the point.

  • RobD520RobD520 Member Posts: 420 Member Member Posts: 420 Member
    RobD520 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Obese people cannot be healthy. But people shouldn't be shamed or bullied for it.

    Why not? Particularly at the lower levels of obesity (class I obesity) there isn't a very significant impact on health. Being normal weight but sedentary shortens your life expectancy by more than being class I obese but moderately active. An active, nonsmoking class I obese person can easily be well above the population average in terms of health.

    What is true is that all other factors being equal, an obese person would be healthier if they reduced their weight. That doesn't mean obese people can't be healthy.

    Obesity by definition is unhealthy.

    No, it is not "by definition". Learn what "by definition" means before you use it next time.

    Yes it is.

    You clearly have no idea what "by definition" means, Grow up, read a book or two, and then come back.
Sign In or Register to comment.