Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I take the stance that everyone benefits from healthier choices. I won't assume that an overweight person has failed in this department. Here is an example of a positive model:

http://fatgirlrunning-fatrunner.blogspot.ca/?m=1

Heck, we just lost Prince at fifty-seven. We won't know for a few weeks what felled him but my bet is heart attack.

mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/live-prince-dead-updates-reaction-7805506

It was mentioned they are trying to get the records of his hospital visit 6 days before his death.

It's Prince. My bet is on drugs. Another very unhealthy habit that has been romanticized and excused.

mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/prince-treated-drug-overdose-days-7808095

Not sure if this story is confirmed as factual or not.

His drug use is pretty well known. I think the poster was using his death as an example of a thin person's early death and, if so, the logic in such an argument is badly flawed. But, it's also a bad example.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    RobD520 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Obese people cannot be healthy. But people shouldn't be shamed or bullied for it.

Why not? Particularly at the lower levels of obesity (class I obesity) there isn't a very significant impact on health. Being normal weight but sedentary shortens your life expectancy by more than being class I obese but moderately active. An active, nonsmoking class I obese person can easily be well above the population average in terms of health.

What is true is that all other factors being equal, an obese person would be healthier if they reduced their weight. That doesn't mean obese people can't be healthy.

Obesity by definition is unhealthy.

No, it is not "by definition". Learn what "by definition" means before you use it next time.

Yes it is.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I take the stance that everyone benefits from healthier choices. I won't assume that an overweight person has failed in this department. Here is an example of a positive model:

http://fatgirlrunning-fatrunner.blogspot.ca/?m=1

Heck, we just lost Prince at fifty-seven. We won't know for a few weeks what felled him but my bet is heart attack.

She's not a particularly good example. She's 40 years old, and slower on her ultras than 50 and 80 year olds. She runs about 1/4 of the miles I do per week. Her average pace is my walking pace, on forest terrain, with a 40lb load.

She claims to run, but her pace says she walks.

What is your point, you can beat a 40 year old fat lady that is unhealthy by your definition?

Apparently, a 50 or 80 year old can...

If an 80 year old is faster than you, and you're 40, I do not think you can claim the mantle of "Example of Health".

Again, what is your point. There are 50 and 80 year olds that can beat you too.

The point is obvious to anyone without a chip on their shoulder.

I guess I am pretty dense (along with the chip on my shoulder) so clue me in, because I don't see the point.

• RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    RobD520 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Obese people cannot be healthy. But people shouldn't be shamed or bullied for it.

Why not? Particularly at the lower levels of obesity (class I obesity) there isn't a very significant impact on health. Being normal weight but sedentary shortens your life expectancy by more than being class I obese but moderately active. An active, nonsmoking class I obese person can easily be well above the population average in terms of health.

What is true is that all other factors being equal, an obese person would be healthier if they reduced their weight. That doesn't mean obese people can't be healthy.

Obesity by definition is unhealthy.

No, it is not "by definition". Learn what "by definition" means before you use it next time.

Yes it is.

You clearly have no idea what "by definition" means, Grow up, read a book or two, and then come back.