Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I take the stance that everyone benefits from healthier choices. I won't assume that an overweight person has failed in this department. Here is an example of a positive model:

http://fatgirlrunning-fatrunner.blogspot.ca/?m=1

Heck, we just lost Prince at fifty-seven. We won't know for a few weeks what felled him but my bet is heart attack.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    snikkins wrote: »
    Being severely overweight or underweight for that matter is unhealthy. We are naturally repulsed by things that are unhealthy. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it, but all other things being equal, I do have a lower opinion of people who are obviously unhealthy than of people who appeared to be good physical condition. It's a logical reaction.

I don't think we as a species are naturally repulsed by things that are unhealthy. You might be, but I'd think you'd be in a minority, there.

In scientific circles, there is widespread agreement that disgust evolved to motivate the avoidance of contact with disease-causing organisms. But hey, there are some weird fetishes out there, so whatever floats your boat.

There's a difference between unhealthy [behaviors] and disease-causing organisms. Disgust having evolved so we don't eat things that are spoiled and could make us sick is different than being disgusted by anything deemed unhealthy. Deeming something "unhealthy" is such a personal thing, and that's my point.

I don't "deem" obesity unhealthy any more than I "deem" cancer unhealthy. Each are empirically unhealthy. You can go ahead and pretend obesity isn't unhealthy, but that leaves me to wonder what you are doing on a website dedicated to physical fitness, since you see no difference between the obese and the physically fit in terms of health.

You're unsurprisingly rude for someone who is putting words in my mouth and making judgments about me based upon them. I'm pointing out your flaw in arguing that we're programmed to be disgusted by anything that is "unhealthy" is "unhealthy" is subjective. To people who are allergic to peanuts, they're unhealthy, but not everyone is disgusted by peanuts, which we all would be according to you.

I did not say we are programmed to be disgusted by it ALl unhealthy things. You yourself saw that we are disgusted by rotten fruit to protect us from something that is unhealthy. It's funny how hard you are working not to admit that people have some basis for being disgusted by morbid obesity.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2016

If one's appestat is functional then one will not become obese without intent. Is one's appestat not working a sign of being unhealthily? If the answer is yes then by definition all obese people are unhealthy.

wisegeek.com/what-is-the-appestat.htm
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I take the stance that everyone benefits from healthier choices. I won't assume that an overweight person has failed in this department. Here is an example of a positive model:

Heck, we just lost Prince at fifty-seven. We won't know for a few weeks what felled him but my bet is heart attack.

She's not a particularly good example. She's 40 years old, and slower on her ultras than 50 and 80 year olds. She runs about 1/4 of the miles I do per week. Her average pace is my walking pace, on forest terrain, with a 40lb load.

She claims to run, but her pace says she walks.

What is your point, you can beat a 40 year old fat lady that is unhealthy by your definition?

• GaleHawkins

mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/live-prince-dead-updates-reaction-7805506

It was mentioned they are trying to get the records of his hospital visit 6 days before his death.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2016

She's not a particularly good example. She's 40 years old, and slower on her ultras than 50 and 80 year olds. She runs about 1/4 of the miles I do per week. Her average pace is my walking pace, on forest terrain, with a 40lb load.

She claims to run, but her pace says she walks.

What is your point, you can beat a 40 year old fat lady that is unhealthy by your definition?

Apparently, a 50 or 80 year old can...

If an 80 year old is faster than you, and you're 40, I do not think you can claim the mantle of "Example of Health".
  • GaleHawkins

mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/live-prince-dead-updates-reaction-7805506

It was mentioned they are trying to get the records of his hospital visit 6 days before his death.

It's Prince. My bet is on drugs. Another very unhealthy habit that has been romanticized and excused.

mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/prince-treated-drug-overdose-days-7808095

Not sure if this story is confirmed as factual or not.