Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How much fruit to eat per day

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    @mattldrowne it really depends a lot on how the sugar in fruit impacts your own blood glucose levels. Below is a post on how to use a blood glucose meter as a tool in losing weight. Welcome to MFP forums and best of success.

boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=7511.0
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Does it make you bloat or put on weight

No bloating from fruit for me personally.
    I'm not going to put on weight unless I eat more calories than I need to maintain my current weight. I could do that with calories from fruit, chicken, rice, broccoli, or pizza. It doesn't matter what the food is just the calories.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    No bloating for me. In fact, quite the opposite, since it's extremely difficult to eat the huge volumes of fruit necessary to lead to calorie-overload, since they are full of fiber as well as sugar. I suppose avocados are an exception, but even there, the fat content fills you up.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Avocados may have a high fat content but they are considered to be "good fats" which are beneficial to the body. Avacados also support the immune system. Most of the hormones needed by the body require fats in their construction.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    I eat at least 400 grams of fruit a day, but that's just me.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I don't eat most fruit.

I would eat oranges and bananas to my heart's content. And watermelon. MMMMMMMM But the sugar content is a bit much.
    Apples would cause me to feel noticeably bloaty and a little funny in the head. Pears as well.

I do eat avocadoes, coconuts, and olives with no ill feelings.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Dietary fat will only be stored if you are eating at a surplus.

what's your time frame for this "surplus" ? what's the control mechanism.

Eat carbs and you oxidise them, storing any fat you eat at the same time for later use and reducing the release of fats from storage. ITIS.

Fat is stored and released all the time.
  • verlaine01
    verlaine01 Posts: 24 Member
    edited April 2016
    I spent so much of my life on a high fat low carb diet in order to keep my weight down that I was literally afraid to eat anything more than a 1/4 of a banana. I switched over to eating raw low fat vegan all day until supper with a regular cooked omnivorous meal, and so far I have not gained weight, in fact I have lost, and the best thing is that I don't have the blood sugar swings that I was so afraid of having while eating so much fruit. I think the key is , if you eat the fruit, you should not be having any fat, nuts or any other food with it. So far it works for me. I will eat about 2 mangoes or 2 bananas, a half of a watermelon, 2 cups of grapes and 2 cups of pineapple with several stalks of celery and a head of romaine from morning till supper.
    Supper can be anything from vegan to steak and fries. so far, so good. (and I can share meal time with my family)
    I have tried every diet under the sun, this way of eating satisfies me more than any other way of eating I have ever tried.
    No bloat, gas or anything,( if I bloat it is after a pasta meal at night)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    yarwell wrote: »

Eat carbs and you oxidise them, storing any fat you eat at the same time for later use and reducing the release of fats from storage. ITIS.

I mean over time. If you are eating at a surplus over a period of days/weeks/whathaveyou, then yes dietary fat will create more adipose tissue. Yes, carbs are given priority, because high blood sugar is an emergency in your body. But over time, even eating low carb, if you are consuming too much, you are consuming too much and it will get stored as far.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

I mean over time. If you are eating at a surplus over a period of days/weeks/whathaveyou, then yes dietary fat will create more adipose tissue. Yes, carbs are given priority, because high blood sugar is an emergency in your body. But over time, even eating low carb, if you are consuming too much, you are consuming too much and it will get stored as far.

Bit of a circular argument, as the definition of "surplus" is that you stored fat / glycogen.

Can you store extra fat in 24h due to the balance of fuel use and intake over that 24h ?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    You could eat fruit all day and not gain weight. You'll more likely gain weight from consuming fatty foods.
    Fat consumed is easily stored. It is not readily used as an energy source and therefore not burned unless you are eating very little carbs (which is an unhealthy practice).
    Carbs, on the other hand, are readily used as energy but not so easily stored. Once your body can no longer use the calories from carbs as energy, the carbs are not stored as fat. They are stored as glycogen in the liver and the muscles. It is only after those stores are filled that carbs can be stored as fat. And you would have to eat WAY more carbs than you realistically already eat in order to do that.
    So eat as much fruit as you'd like! Curb the fat.
    Source: Lost 25+ pounds on a high carb low-fat diet.

Dietary fat will only be stored if you are eating at a surplus. Dietary carbs will only be stored if you are eating at a surplus. That said, your body can only tolerate so much carbs (glucose) at one time - too much glucose in the blood is deadly (literally). So your body works very hard to control that by storing it first in the muscles and liver, as glycogen, then any beyond what you can store as glycogen gets converted to fat and stored in the fat cells. This happens very readily, as you would die if it didn't. Your body has a pretty limited glycogen storage capacity, but your capacity for storing fat is virtually unlimited, so anything in excess of what you are burning gets stored as fat. You only need to be eating too many calories, whatever the form, in order to store carbs as fat. Fat is filling, satiating, necessary for health (there are essential fatty acids; there are no "essential" carbs, your liver can make all the glucose you require), necessary for the absorption of certain vitamins, doesn't spike your blood sugar, and is damn tastey ;).

So eat adequate protein for muscle repair and maintenance, keep the carbs in check, and eat fat to satiety.
    Source : lost 50 lbs on a high fat, low carb diet and have kept it off for nearly three years now.

Just a bit of semantics, fat isn't satiety for everyone and is only essential at something like 11g, IIRC. So, even if you are raw vegan (80/10/10) you can achieve essential levels extremely easy.

Side observation, the only people I know who are filled up or feel satiated by fat, are those following LCHF. So out of curiosity, what do you find fills you up more: an 8oz piece of chicken or an 8 oz ribeye?

OP, I eat roughly 400-500g of fruit a day with no issue on the weight loss. They are full of nutrients and many are low in calories.
  • tlflag1620
    edited April 2016
    psulemon wrote: »
    You could eat fruit all day and not gain weight. You'll more likely gain weight from consuming fatty foods.
    Fat consumed is easily stored. It is not readily used as an energy source and therefore not burned unless you are eating very little carbs (which is an unhealthy practice).
    Carbs, on the other hand, are readily used as energy but not so easily stored. Once your body can no longer use the calories from carbs as energy, the carbs are not stored as fat. They are stored as glycogen in the liver and the muscles. It is only after those stores are filled that carbs can be stored as fat. And you would have to eat WAY more carbs than you realistically already eat in order to do that.

Dietary fat will only be stored if you are eating at a surplus. Dietary carbs will only be stored if you are eating at a surplus. That said, your body can only tolerate so much carbs (glucose) at one time - too much glucose in the blood is deadly (literally). So your body works very hard to control that by storing it first in the muscles and liver, as glycogen, then any beyond what you can store as glycogen gets converted to fat and stored in the fat cells. This happens very readily, as you would die if it didn't. Your body has a pretty limited glycogen storage capacity, but your capacity for storing fat is virtually unlimited, so anything in excess of what you are burning gets stored as fat. You only need to be eating too many calories, whatever the form, in order to store carbs as fat. Fat is filling, satiating, necessary for health (there are essential fatty acids; there are no "essential" carbs, your liver can make all the glucose you require), necessary for the absorption of certain vitamins, doesn't spike your blood sugar, and is damn tastey ;).

So eat adequate protein for muscle repair and maintenance, keep the carbs in check, and eat fat to satiety.
    Source : lost 50 lbs on a high fat, low carb diet and have kept it off for nearly three years now.

Just a bit of semantics, fat isn't satiety for everyone and is only essential at something like 11g, IIRC. So, even if you are raw vegan (80/10/10) you can achieve essential levels extremely easy.

Side observation, the only people I know who are filled up or feel satiated by fat, are those following LCHF. So out of curiosity, what do you find fills you up more: an 8oz piece of chicken or an 8 oz ribeye?

OP, I eat roughly 400-500g of fruit a day with no issue on the weight loss. They are full of nutrients and many are low in calories.

Which is more filling? The ribeye. Maybe if the chicken is thigh meat, dipped in butter and coated in Parmesan cheese it would be pretty close.

ETA - I've only seen fat requirements expressed as a percentage of calories, minimum of 20%. 11 g would only be 99 calories from fat. On a 2000 cal per day diet you'd want at least 400 calories from fat (or about 44 g). Even in a 1200 cal diet it would be 240 calories from fat, minimum (about 26 g).

• tlflag1620

Bit of a circular argument, as the definition of "surplus" is that you stored fat / glycogen.

Can you store extra fat in 24h due to the balance of fuel use and intake over that 24h ?

I don't see why you wouldn't.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I eat lots of fruit and ate lots of fruit losing a lot of weight and fat. Seemed to work fine.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    2 or 3 a day won't add up to more than 200-300 calories and most are chuck full of vitamins, and part of a balanced diet. So let common sense and moderation prevail!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    You gain weight eating more calories than you burn, doesn't matter the source of the calories. You can overeat anything.
    The USDA recommends 2 cups of fruit per day. When in doubt, follow the guidelines.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    I feel best and happiest, satieted on a low carb high fat diet. Problem for me is I can't seem to keep my calorie deficit within limits because of the HF part. So I end up on a lowish carb, medium fat, highish protien woe.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    nosajjao wrote: »
    Bananas go straight to your arssse.

TMI

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

Which is more filling? The ribeye.

Not surprised, since it has almost twice the calories.