Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If it's all CICO - why can't you outrun a bad diet?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm getting dizzy this thread has gone in so many circles...

Me too.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Can we talk about cheeseburgers again?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Speaking of burgers, I'll be having a salmon burger for dinner made from canned salmon and homemade bread. Quite tasty, I must say, although I don't put cheese on it.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Speaking of burgers, I'll be having a salmon burger for dinner made from canned salmon and homemade bread. Quite tasty, I must say, although I don't put cheese on it.

Did somebody say burger? <3
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Oh boy I just read page 8... I don't want to maintain my weight, I still want to lose roughly 1lb a week. So I chose my maintenance calories (at sedentary), and will endevour to burn 500 calories per day through exercise to achieve that weight loss.

Yeah I did word it incorrectly (as usual :confused: )

Your comment actually made sense.

It was a subsequent reply to it that didn't that caused the problem.

Ok, we'll go back there then:
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Ok what if you eat at maintenance everyday, but burn off 500 calories through exercise to lose 1lb a week. Would this be classed as outrunning a "bad" diet?
    It wouldn't be a bad diet if you were at maintenance.

Huh?

How is it only okay at maintenance?

It would actually be a terrible diet at maintenance....because it would be 500 daily calories too little.

Also, the question was "Would this be classed as outrunning a "bad" diet?". Why would you assume my answer was addressing whether or not it is ok?

Because what she meant was "I eat at maintenance level not including exercise, then I exercise enough to burn 500 calories each day. Does that count as outrunning a bad diet?"

She is actually eating at a deficit, but from her perspective, the deficit comes from increasing activity, not from eating less food.

The answer is yes, that is how you outrun a "bad" diet. But the diet isn't bad, so there's that.
    that's my point. If the diet isn't bad, she's not outrunning a bad diet.

I get it! Someone who is eating over maintenance (therefore would most likely gain weight) and then exercising to put them at maintenance would be "outrunning a bad diet".
    In this case the "bad diet" would be eating more calories than they should be.

Someone who is eating at maintenance, which was the example given, would not be a "bad diet" because they are actually eating at maintenance BEFORE the exercise which means the added exercise actually puts them at deficit.
    Either way w/ or without exercise they weren't eating more than they should, therefore no "bad diet".
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options

I love salmon burgers... well I just love salmon in general, LOL!
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My favorite fish-based burger (or sandwich, if one is a purist) is tuna steak with a spicy jardiniere on a whole-wheat bun. A lunch place near my (former) office used to make them, and I started doing them at home. So good.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    My favorite fish-based burger (or sandwich, if one is a purist) is tuna steak with a spicy jardiniere on a whole-wheat bun. A lunch place near my (former) office used to make them, and I started doing them at home. So good.

IDK what "jardinière" is but I love spicy and tuna so I'm sure it's delish!
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I can't remember what language I should be using or simply can't spell. I meant giardiniera.

http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2013/11/taste-test-the-best-giardiniera.html
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I can't remember what language I should be using or simply can't spell. I meant giardiniera.

http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2013/11/taste-test-the-best-giardiniera.html

Oh, that stuff is awesome!!!
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I propose that an apple a day will not keep the doctor away.
  • auddii
    Options

Too late:
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I have an idea...let's take a cliche, apply it as a scientific principle while leaving it's meaning open to any interpretation and then debate it's merits in relation to scientific fact, using nothing but our own opinions, anecdotes and emotions as the basis for our positions!
    That'll be fun!!!!

(seriously, this whole conversation is mind numbingly pointless)

An apple a day keeps the doctor away?
    Every cloud has a silver lining?
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    This is purely for debate purposes - if weight loss is purely calories in and calories out, why can't you 'outrun a bad diet' - surely if you run enough to burn off the calories of a bad dietary intake, you can for all intents and purposes outrun a bad diet?

If a person is in a caloric deficit surely they will lose irrespective of what their food intake is.

begin.....

It's not that you can't... It's just so much easier to pound a 120 calories soda in five minutes than to burn 120 calories running for a half hour.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Too late:
    I have an idea...let's take a cliche, apply it as a scientific principle while leaving it's meaning open to any interpretation and then debate it's merits in relation to scientific fact, using nothing but our own opinions, anecdotes and emotions as the basis for our positions!
    That'll be fun!!!!

It was a reference to that post (and the one about changing the subject). I was just too lazy to go back and find it to quote it.
  • auddii
    Options

Too late:
    That'll be fun!!!!

It was a reference to that post (and the one about changing the subject). I was just too lazy to go back and find it to quote it.

I'll allow it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    oh man, these are soooooo cute! makes reading this whole wierd thread worth it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options