Can men and women maintain a platonic relationship?

Options

Replies

• _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have a handful of strictly platonic friendships. Actually every guy in my life is platonic right now. I'm liking it that way. So yes, totally can be done.
  • zakum1
    zakum1 Posts: 402 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Jetamu96 wrote: »
    zakum1 wrote: »
    When Harry Met Sally - I agree with Harry.

So glad you mentioned that film! I am so in love with Billy Crystal's character! Even though I don't agree with him :P

Loved him in city slickers. The thought is there. The maturity is not to act on it. Also a big difference in a friendship and an aquaintance as you don't get as close relationship wise
  • ArielSwaim
    ArielSwaim Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    lexbubbles wrote: »
    Men and women can't be friends because they might get attracted to each other.

In other breaking news, bisexual people don't have friends at all. For us, there is only prey. I've actually never had a single friend in my entire life.

So true... I feel ya there :'( *forever lonely*
  • ShawtyShawt
    ShawtyShawt Posts: 2,540 Member
    Options
    Of course! NP!
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Yes, rarely. :)
  • brillmer87
    brillmer87 Posts: 1,977 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It's obviously possible. Just not likely at all lol.
    Usually one is hiding feelings.
  • _HunterKiller_
    _HunterKiller_ Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    yes. Normally after realizing i'm crap in bed
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I think it can be done. But being married tends to be a different ball game.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    My husband has lots of female friends, I've lots of male friends, most are way older but still friends. I don't see a reason why not
  • rockgoddess2016
    rockgoddess2016 Posts: 8,663 Member
    Options
    Not in my experience unless one of them are hiding their true feelings
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    yes. Normally after realizing i'm crap in bed

hahaha that's the best answer i have ever seen :D

• finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    It can be done but the friendship is a fake friendship . Some guys hang out with girls for months , sometimes years , hopeing that some day the girl might say , where have you been all my life , you are the one for me . Deep down the girls know these guys like them , but some girls like the attention they get from them . The only girls i hang out with are my cousins . We see each other as real buddies and have great times together. I left an ex on good terms also and would keep in touch with her . I even set her up on a date .
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    I agree with @finny11122 From my experience it's not possible. I've definitely tried and it's always one sided.
  • synchkat
    Options
    I don't see this. I have tons of male friends through skating and there's never any other thoughts that I know of
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    This was a popular subject while I was in the military. All the women said "of course." All of the men, laughed and said only the ugly ones or ones that have already bumped uglies together with. We probably all know the statistics on how often a man thinks about sex. How is he not supposed to notice a woman's good looks, nicely shaped butt, or boobs hanging in front of his face...........even if she is a friend? He'll notice, he'll be attracted, but he might not say anything. But given a chance to bump uglies with the girl that friend zoned him into this platonic relationship? I bet you he does not deny.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    In my experience, no. It would be nice if they could!
  • synchkat
    Options
    Maybe my interactions are different because I know their wives but I'm more friends with the men
  • merr1cose
    merr1cose Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It is entirely possible. Like everything else in life it comes down to decisions that people make. If a man and woman are friends and the one of them is attracted or 'hits on' the other, the decision the person makes dictates what happens next. IMO