Back again with pregnancy weight update, and freaking out.

Replies

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    perkymommy wrote: »
    Limit your intake of salty foods. It can increase water retention, which could very well be putting on the extra pounds. You can exercise while pregnant. I put on 70 lbs when I was pregnant and all off it came off within a few months after delivery and I didn't breastfeed at all. Just eat the recommended amount of calories for a healthy pregnancy and log what you eat. Just know that if you do decide to breastfeed, you'll have to eat more calories to keep up your milk supply. However WIC will provide you with free formula if you decide not to breastfeed.

Why are you encouraging this girl not to breastfeed? It's the best for her baby and when you breastfeed you actually lose weight way faster than you do if you don't breastfeed. Please don't try to push your ideas and thoughts on breast vs formula on a new mom. It's not right and that isn't what this thread is even about. :neutral:

I dont see encouragement not to breastfeed, i see help being offered. For an anorexic woman, the idea of having to eat more than she wants in order to produce breast milk may be too much. She needs mental help, not more stress. Having a brand new baby will be emotionally taxing enough, having to maintain a supply may also prove to be too much. This person is giving some good options. Not every woman can or wants to breastfeed and there is NOTHING wrong with either choice. And the WIC program is fantastic to bring up. Free food for baby is always good, and if the mother will only eat bare minimum of fast food now, that probably won't improve with an expensive infant and certainly won't pass any vitamins along to baby. Maybe free formula IS the best option. It doesn't hurt to suggest it.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member

Limit your intake of salty foods. It can increase water retention, which could very well be putting on the extra pounds. You can exercise while pregnant. I put on 70 lbs when I was pregnant and all off it came off within a few months after delivery and I didn't breastfeed at all. Just eat the recommended amount of calories for a healthy pregnancy and log what you eat. Just know that if you do decide to breastfeed, you'll have to eat more calories to keep up your milk supply. However WIC will provide you with free formula if you decide not to breastfeed.

Why are you encouraging this girl not to breastfeed? It's the best for her baby and when you breastfeed you actually lose weight way faster than you do if you don't breastfeed. Please don't try to push your ideas and thoughts on breast vs formula on a new mom. It's not right and that isn't what this thread is even about. :neutral:

You may want to take your own advice there. Just saying.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    brb_2013 wrote: »

I dont see encouragement not to breastfeed, i see help being offered. For an anorexic woman, the idea of having to eat more than she wants in order to produce breast milk may be too much. She needs mental help, not more stress. Having a brand new baby will be emotionally taxing enough, having to maintain a supply may also prove to be too much. This person is giving some good options. Not every woman can or wants to breastfeed and there is NOTHING wrong with either choice. And the WIC program is fantastic to bring up. Free food for baby is always good, and if the mother will only eat bare minimum of fast food now, that probably won't improve with an expensive infant and certainly won't pass any vitamins along to baby. Maybe free formula IS the best option. It doesn't hurt to suggest it.

If you read the original poster's response though she DID in fact say she wants to breastfeed. That's the end of the conversation if she has said that IMO. But I do get your point. I only breastfed one of my children and it was my youngest because I was poorly informed with my oldest two children and they all turned out the same regardless. ;) But I would never try to sway a mother in one direction or the other. It's definitely a personal decision.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    drana325 wrote: »
    Celery: $2
    Carrots: $1 per pound
    Mushroom, 8 ounces: $1.50
    Tomatoes: $3 and up per pound
    Green Peppers: $1.79 per pound
    Avocados: $1.50 each
    Broccoli: $3 for three stalks, about a pound
    Cauliflower: $4 for a head
    Milk: $4 per gallon
    Chicken Breast $4/ lb. lets say for the week you want 5 lb.

$40 per week.... dont' tell me you can't survive on $40 per week.. and i'm over estimating the prices... you can eat healthy.. and you can go on 40 min walks.

Your baby's health should be more important than your weight gain.

Strong first post.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016

You may want to take your own advice there. Just saying.

How is that? I didn't tell her to only breastfed or absolutely not to bottle feed. I've done both myself. I only said why try to persuade her "not" to breastfeed as that person seemed to be doing by pushing the formula. The original poster has already said she plans to breastfeed anyway. If I were in here saying only breastfeed and don't bottle feed and preaching at her - then I'd be in the wrong, but all I've said is breast is best and it is because our bodies were designed that way. She has already said she "wants" to breastfeed. I had severe PPD with one of mine and did it but my choice in the end and it wasn't anyone's place to say my life is too hard and stressful so I need to use formula. Both are fine and it's up to the mother to decide. So just because you are against breast feeding doesn't mean you have the right to only point out my comment and be rude to me. There's another choice and she has already stated she is choosing to breast feed and needs support no matter what she ends up choosing. But there are two ways to feed them and I have every right to comment however I want just as the people who support formula do.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member

I have decided to breastfeed. My family keeps telling me it will take up too much of my time though.

Feeding your baby will take up too much time... what the actual f***????? :huh: :noway:

lol but also :/
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited April 2016

I have decided to breastfeed. My family keeps telling me it will take up too much of my time though.[/quote]

So I was just reading and came across this. tis makes me sad and concerned for you. concerned about the people you have closest to you. How they are effecting your overall well being.

Breastfeeding is the best thing you can do for your baby and yourself. I'm not sure how it will take up too much of your time. You don't have to prep and warm a bottle. You don't run out of formula. Yes if you are away from your baby you will need to pump, its food for your baby. A baby will take up a lot of your time. you will make a lot of sacrifices for your child in your lifetime with no regrets I pray. Your life will be changed forever :)

Breast is best <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited April 2016
    sarahlifts wrote: »

I have decided to breastfeed. My family keeps telling me it will take up too much of my time though.

So I was just reading and came across this. tis makes me sad and concerned for you. concerned about the people you have closest to you. How they are effecting your overall well being.

Breastfeeding is the best thing you can do for your baby and yourself. I'm not sure how it will take up too much of your time. You don't have to prep and warm a bottle. You don't run out of formula. Yes if you are away from your baby you will need to pump, its food for your baby. A baby will take up a lot of your time. you will make a lot of sacrifices for your child in your lifetime with no regrets I pray. Your life will be changed forever :)

Breast is best <3

Agreed.

@ArtsyDarling I suspect your family might not be the best source for parenting information.

• kshama2001
    edited April 2016
    Shana67 wrote: »
    I guess after reading this, I don't understand why you can afford fast food but not groceries? Lean meats and veggies/fruits are not expensive.

Secondly, BREASTFEED. It's cheap (free!), and yeah, it takes up some of your time, but there is nothing - NOTHING - that is better for your baby in the first year than your breastmilk. As your baby gets older, they nurse less frequently, and the bonding is INCREDIBLE. Please don't deprive yourself of this opportunity.

Fast food is more affordable because we can't both afford separate meals at the grocery store. He's a picky eater. I am not trying to make him sound like a monster because he's not. He does his best and he is trying to make the right decisions for us right now.

When choosing inexpensive cuts of meat like whole chicken, preparing your own food is always cheaper than getting fast food. You will have a bigger initial outlay, but when you break down the cost per meal you will see that it is less.

Sure, it will be less convenient if he insists on still getting fast food. But you're pregnant.

Maybe start a thread just for this topic - limited budget, boyfriend is a picky eater, and list what he will and will not eat.

ETA - someone started just such a thread today: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10380396/partner-is-a-fussy-eater-help#latest
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

Feeding your baby will take up too much time... what the actual f***????? :huh: :noway:

Maybe she was going to get a wet nurse. So much time to be saved.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    brower47 wrote: »

Maybe she was going to get a wet nurse. So much time to be saved.

Did you actually read the post I was quoting?
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Keep track of how much you spend on fast food per week. I think you'll find that it's more than your boyfriend thinks, and you can show him.

I had a roommate like that. She was comparing what she spent on fast food each time she got it ($5) with how much a week's worth of groceries cost. She wasn't thinking about how much she spent on fast food each week. If that is how your boyfriend is thinking, he needs more information.

Good for you making the best choices that you can. A chicken wrap is a better choice than a triple cheeseburger with bacon, for example. Most fast food places have salad now so get that from time to time.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    From what I am reading you seem so concerned with what everyone else thinks. This is no way to live. I can promise you as a pregnant woman most Ppl aren't thinking OMG she is so fat. They are thinking Aw she is having a baby which a blessing not everyone gets to partake in myself included. You took tones from pal's post that either weren't there or even if they were there doesn't mean you have to worry about it. Plus your family telling you anything about your decisions on how you will raise your child is ridiculous! I get they may want to help but, you don't have to take their advice or even think twice about it. You really need a therapist and realize you are important and you need to fight for you and your baby.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Ask your boyfriend if you can have the cash that you would spend on just you in a week eating fast food. Go to the grocery and buy eggs, chicken, fruit, veggies, yogurt, oatmeal, etc. You can buy in small or larger pkgs depending on your cash situation. Buying in larger quantities(500ml tub of yogurt instead of 85ml cups, 1kg of oatmeal instead of pre packaged envelopes, etc) will usually work out to less cost per serving. Eat three square meals plus any snacks you need to hit your calories and grow a healthy baby. To breastfeed you will need slightly more calories than what you need while pregnant so get used to it. Breastfeeding is an awesome way to bond with your babe, it is exhausting sometimes but in the grand scheme of life it is so worth it. Find a LLL leader and speak to them towards the end of your pregnancy and if you have troubles after your little one is born. Meetings are free and offer tons of help.

Please speak to your doc/nurse/care team. Pregnancy is only a small time in your life and requires proper care to keep both you and that baby physically and mentally healthy. You can do this!!
  • kshama2001
    edited April 2016
    Ask your boyfriend if you can have the cash that you would spend on just you in a week eating fast food. Go to the grocery and buy eggs, chicken, fruit, veggies, yogurt, oatmeal, etc. You can buy in small or larger pkgs depending on your cash situation. Buying in larger quantities(500ml tub of yogurt instead of 85ml cups, 1kg of oatmeal instead of pre packaged envelopes, etc) will usually work out to less cost per serving. Eat three square meals plus any snacks you need to hit your calories and grow a healthy baby. To breastfeed you will need slightly more calories than what you need while pregnant so get used to it. Breastfeeding is an awesome way to bond with your babe, it is exhausting sometimes but in the grand scheme of life it is so worth it. Find a LLL leader and speak to them towards the end of your pregnancy and if you have troubles after your little one is born. Meetings are free and offer tons of help.

Please speak to your doc/nurse/care team. Pregnancy is only a small time in your life and requires proper care to keep both you and that baby physically and mentally healthy. You can do this!!

LLL - La Leche League http://www.llli.org/

Mom is still close friends with women she met there 50 years ago.
  • ArtsyDarling
    ArtsyDarling Posts: 39 Member
    hstoblish wrote: »
    A few things. First off, you're going to be ok and so is your baby. You'll find a weird well of resilience you didn't know you had. You'll lose the weight because you're young and you're planning to breastfeed. I think the advice to talk to your doctor is great.

From one mom with anxiety (and body issues, though not an ED) to another: get off of social media, including this site. Delete it from your phone and limit yourself to checking it only on a actual computer. Anxiety plus social media is rough. I got rid of Facebook on my phone and couldn't be happier. Focus on the real things around you, and find some free in person groups for expecting moms. They'll likely be people a bit older, but find the women who hold back a little and who aren't judging everyone (they can be hard to spot) and make some friends. They'll help you through this really crazy time. I highly recommend the podcast One Bad Mother, and they have a closed Facebook group of pretty cool people you could try (though that's more Social media). But find some people.

Also, breastfeeding is so so much easier than formula feeding if you don't have any issues (and even if you do, once they're resolved, it is easier). Moms with milk supply issues who formula feed are my personal heroes.

All the best!

Thanks for the great advice, I've been thinking about the social media stuff and I think what's really getting to me is all the TYPES of people that I follow. I need to change my surroundings. I really want to breastfeed. I didn't even know it help with weight, I just knew my baby should have it.
  • ArtsyDarling
    jen_bush wrote: »
    The most important thing is to do what's right for the baby. Don't dwell on it too much and enjoy this beautiful time <3 You'll get back to where you were after birth the healthy way - don't worry. It is normal for women to put on weight to be able to carry a healthy baby. I understand your fears, because I used to have an ED too, but just try to calm yourself down and make sure you get the support you need from your family and doctors. Good luck, girly <3

Thank you :) Lots of people keep saying you should only gain 35lbs and i'm like i surpassed that already, im getting so fat. That's whats clouding my judgement. I've had a few women tell me they gained 60- 80 lbs but not very many. I felt like it wasn't normal for me too.
  • ArtsyDarling
    ilex70 wrote: »
    OP sounds like you and your BF are very young. So in case you happen by again, some basic groceries really shouldn't cost that much.

5# bag of potatoes
    onion (if you like them)
    celery (if you like it)
    bagged salad (same)
    fruit...whatever is a good price that you like
    peanut butter
    oatmeal
    sugar
    frozen waffles
    butter
    eggs
    bread
    milk
    cheese
    frozen veggies
    canned beans (dry are fine, but take a lot longer)
    canned tomato...diced, crushed, sauce
    canned tuna/salmon/chicken
    ground turkey or chicken thighs
    rice
    pasta
    seasonings
    bullion cubes (cheaper than stock)

From Aldi you could get all this for around $40 and have a pretty good variety of meals. Meat is the trickiest bit most times so just watch for specials...many times regular supermarkets will be even cheaper than Aldi on meat because it is a loss leader for them.

i'm pretty young, he is a little older. Thank you i wrote all that down hopefully we'll be able to go to the grocery soon. :)