Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    Boy I'm really gonna lay it out here and get prepared for the flaming. I am a nurse, and I SEE everyday what being obese does to people. I am 126 lbs, and people that weigh triple me come in every day wanting ME to lift them up, push them in wheelchairs, keep them from falling and it is killing my back. I now refuse to lift these huge people. Yesterday I had to roll a 450 lb man out to his car in a wheelchair. Damn. Then he wanted me to help him get up out of the chair. I admit it - I resent it. One of the first things they ask for is food. This is an addiction folks. It is KILLING people. I don't like paying the price in increased insurance costs because of all the health problems we are eating ourselves into. I will not accept this cost to me or my life, and I find it very sad that there is a movement to accept this at all. Shaming - never. Honest kind confrontation - absolutely. Look up NAFLD. It's a leading cause of death and rarely heard of in the general population - ALL from obesity. Gonna get off my soap box now and take cover

Thanks for all your hard work. We had cpr training at work and I had to roll over a peeson close to twice my weight in the twining. Not an easy task. Can't imagone the issues when emergency responders have to get a large individual out of a wrecked vehicle that is down in a snow covered ditch to an ambulance
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    kgb6days wrote: »
    Boy I'm really gonna lay it out here and get prepared for the flaming. I am a nurse, and I SEE everyday what being obese does to people. I am 126 lbs, and people that weigh triple me come in every day wanting ME to lift them up, push them in wheelchairs, keep them from falling and it is killing my back. I now refuse to lift these huge people. Yesterday I had to roll a 450 lb man out to his car in a wheelchair. Damn. Then he wanted me to help him get up out of the chair. I admit it - I resent it. One of the first things they ask for is food. This is an addiction folks. It is KILLING people. I don't like paying the price in increased insurance costs because of all the health problems we are eating ourselves into. I will not accept this cost to me or my life, and I find it very sad that there is a movement to accept this at all. Shaming - never. Honest kind confrontation - absolutely. Look up NAFLD. It's a leading cause of death and rarely heard of in the general population - ALL from obesity. Gonna get off my soap box now and take cover

Thanks for all your hard work. We had cpr training at work and I had to roll over a peeson close to twice my weight in the twining. Not an easy task. Can't imagone the issues when emergency responders have to get a large individual out of a wrecked vehicle that is down in a snow covered ditch to an ambulance

Or out of a fire.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    JShailen wrote: »
    As an adult, I am very happy that I was fat shamed. I would have totally fallen for some fat acceptance crap telling me being fat was okay.

While this worked well for you, it does the exact opposite for a majority of "fat" people. The consensus is that fat shaming tends to make people feel hopeless and just give up instead of inspiring them to change.

I'm glad that you got healthy though! It's a tremendous accomplishment.

Not being fat is not an accomplishment.

Of course it is. If you were were fat and you lost weight, that by definition is an accomplishment. It doesn't mean you have to praise or laud the person however, that's up to you.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/accomplishment

Well, the comment was directed towards me and I say it wasn't an accomplishment. Not being fat does not take work or effort. You just need to eat less. You don't need to exercise. You don't need special foods. You don't need a special diet. You just need to take in fewer calories. It does not need to be overly complicated and not being fat should be expected of every person in our society.

Do you understand once one is obese it may take more than just eating less of the same macro that enabled obesity to develop? A guy that was at a good weight say at 180 pounds may NOT medically be the same guy after gaining to 280 then losing back down to 180.

Not really. I just ate less, and am now not obese. I still eat at a maintenance level (Well, slightly above, trying to bulk now).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    My question to those who say people should take responsibility for themselves, is, "what business is it of yours?"
    Why does it matter to you what someone else does or doesn't do? How does it concern you?

Like others have said above, "mind your own business".

Kind of ironic that this is a web site mostly about getting healthier. Try a little compassion for people that have not found this site, or can not make it work for them. Walk a mile in their shoes. Cuz I have been there, done that, lost a lot of weight and have kept it off for over 2 years, thanks to MFP, my fitbit, and a lot of compassionate, helpful people here.

Look up how much obesity costs in healthcare dollars.

Research the effect on not just mortality but possibly more importantly, morbidity. That is to say - decreased quality of life. It all effects society in so many ways just like any other disease. Disability alone that is created by obesity draws a whole heck of a lot of money from Social Security/Disability.

It clogs up the hospitals and first responders also.

IT IS 100% PREVENTABLE in every single case just as it is cigarette smoking. Think of the huge campaigns that were totally accepted by society on anti-tobacco. I'm all for an anti-obesity campaign alike.

I also busted my *kitten* to lose almost 100 lbs and I did it on my own because of some deep-rooted self-drive. No medication, no surgery. The way that taught me to never get obese again and I accept that I have that power to choose. But it was preventable in the first place if I understood and respected the principle of Calorie input/output.

Not everybody is like you. This might be hard for you to understand since it doesn't apply to you personally: For some of us, becoming overweight was not preventable. Keep that in mind. Unless you personally know that the person you are judging was able to prevent becoming overweight, don't judge.

Wait.

Time out.

How is becoming overweight not preventable? I can't even think of an extreme example...and I'm usually very creative at coming up with extreme examples.

Prader-Willi syndrome?

Although they usually die as juveniles I think.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Am I the only person who was morbidly obese and didn't stress out the cost of health care? Maybe because I don't go to the doctor unless I'm actually sick and even then it's pretty desperate. Hells, I feel guilty going in for my annual swab job.

No, I don't think you are. I think a lot of people are purposefully overestimating for the sake of argument and justification. Does being obese increase your risk of disease? Yes, absolutely. But I think it is equally wrong to assume that the obese all are uninsured or not paying for their own medical expenses. Are there some? Of course, and no one is saying otherwise.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who was morbidly obese and didn't stress out the cost of health care? Maybe because I don't go to the doctor unless I'm actually sick and even then it's pretty desperate. Hells, I feel guilty going in for my annual swab job.

You're one of the few then. However, as age progresses, that won't continue. How long do you think knees last with double their design load?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    My question to those who say people should take responsibility for themselves, is, "what business is it of yours?"
    Why does it matter to you what someone else does or doesn't do? How does it concern you?

Like others have said above, "mind your own business".

Kind of ironic that this is a web site mostly about getting healthier. Try a little compassion for people that have not found this site, or can not make it work for them. Walk a mile in their shoes. Cuz I have been there, done that, lost a lot of weight and have kept it off for over 2 years, thanks to MFP, my fitbit, and a lot of compassionate, helpful people here.

Look up how much obesity costs in healthcare dollars.

Research the effect on not just mortality but possibly more importantly, morbidity. That is to say - decreased quality of life. It all effects society in so many ways just like any other disease. Disability alone that is created by obesity draws a whole heck of a lot of money from Social Security/Disability.

It clogs up the hospitals and first responders also.

IT IS 100% PREVENTABLE in every single case just as it is cigarette smoking. Think of the huge campaigns that were totally accepted by society on anti-tobacco. I'm all for an anti-obesity campaign alike.

I also busted my *kitten* to lose almost 100 lbs and I did it on my own because of some deep-rooted self-drive. No medication, no surgery. The way that taught me to never get obese again and I accept that I have that power to choose. But it was preventable in the first place if I understood and respected the principle of Calorie input/output.

Not everybody is like you. This might be hard for you to understand since it doesn't apply to you personally: For some of us, becoming overweight was not preventable. Keep that in mind. Unless you personally know that the person you are judging was able to prevent becoming overweight, don't judge.

Wait.

Time out.

How is becoming overweight not preventable? I can't even think of an extreme example...and I'm usually very creative at coming up with extreme examples.

When I was 9 years old, less than 1 month before I turned 10, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. At that time, treatment methods were not as advanced as they are today. At the time, I was underweight about 10 lbs. to where I should have been based on height. As a new type 1, the CDE put together a plan based on the exchange diet (each meal was consistent for the same number of each food type - grains, dairy, fruit, etc.). Every day for each meal and snacks, I had the same number of each exchange type. So if I had 2 fruit exchanges for dinner, for example, that was true every single dinner of every single day. Most new type 1's gain weight because once diagnosed and treated, they stop losing weight rapidly from DKA and regain some of the weight lost from that issue. In my case, I also gained weight because of the diet plan I was put on. In the first month, I gained 20 lbs. The rate of gain slowed down, but I had doubled my weight in the first year and continued to gain weight, just at a slower pace over time up until about age 20.

In today's world, the treatment is different, including diet plans. There are no stringent diet plans and nobody is put on a static insulin dose at a set time. We now calculate insulin to match what we eat rather than eating the same things at the same times every single day and taking the same amount of insulin at the same times. We have flexibility now.

I couldn't help becoming fat. Now that treatment methods have changed enough to allow me the flexibility to lose weight. 10-15 years ago, I could not help being fat. It is very easy to pretend that everyone can avoid being fat, but what is easy isn't automatically right. Technically, I could have avoided getting fat by taking bigger medical risks and not following medical professional's directions. I also might not have lived to tell about it... not a good compromise.

Just to raise your anecdote with one from me, my maternal grandfather was also diagnosed with T1 as a child. He was never overweight, and for most of his life, was very healthy and active and managed it well. Ultimately, it did kill him. He died when he was in his late 60s from mismanaging it and he had lost his legs. He was not overweight when he died, if anything, he was underweight. I was 12 when he passed away and I am now 44. Being diagnosed as a child with T1 diabetes is not a mandatory ticket to obesity at all.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

You're one of the few then. However, as age progresses, that won't continue. How long do you think knees last with double their design load?

It's that most people are arguing that fat people are costing them so much money paying for the fat person's health care which seems to be this stereotype that fat people will always have mobility issues because they're fat. I had no physical problems due to me being fat. Curious if I was the "special snowflake".
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    My mom told me stories about him and showed me pictures. I barely remember him, except that he was pretty crotchety after he lost his legs. And I never said you intentionally did anything to yourself, I simply stated that T1 diabetes is not a mandatory obesity sentence, which is true.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    My mom told me stories about him and showed me pictures. I barely remember him, except that he was pretty crotchety after he lost his legs. And I never said you intentionally did anything to yourself, I simply stated that T1 diabetes is not a mandatory obesity sentence, which is true.

For me, weight gain was uncontrollable. It was pretty common at the time for Type 1's to gain weight, though my case was more serious than most.