Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can one live on only meat?

Options

Replies

• floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Because they are eating this way, they are in a permanent state of ketosis. Can you imagine what their breath must smell like? YUCK!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Because they are eating this way, they are in a permanent state of ketosis. Can you imagine what their breath must smell like? YUCK!

@floridagirl7264 Usually those on a high protein diet are the ones who get stinky breath. Those in ketosis (high fat) usually do not get bad breath. Usually. There are a few.

I've been in ketosis for almost a year and my breath is fine; almost sweeter than it used to be... except if I have just eaten garlic, onion or cheese, but that makes most people stink.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This is the STILLMAN diet, from many years ago. I'm an expert, as I used to do it when I was a teenager. You MUST drink AT LEAST 8 glasses of water per day or you will DESTROY your kidneys. Yes, you will lose weight- on STILLMAN I lost 1 lb per day. But it is VERY unpleasant, not sustainable, and NOT healthy- and on the Stillman diet, you were allowed MEAT, FISH, COTTAGE CHEESE, EGGS & WATER. That is IT. Not even one leaf of lettuce. But what's the point??? Just to do it b/c someone "challenged" you? I challenge you to eat a balanced, healthy diet and lose weight in a HEALTHY way. It's really very easy. I have lost nearly 30 lbs (just .6 lbs away) since Jan 1st of this year!)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This is the STILLMAN diet, from many years ago. I'm an expert, as I used to do it when I was a teenager. You MUST drink AT LEAST 8 glasses of water per day or you will DESTROY your kidneys. Yes, you will lose weight- on STILLMAN I lost 1 lb per day. But it is VERY unpleasant, not sustainable, and NOT healthy- and on the Stillman diet, you were allowed MEAT, FISH, COTTAGE CHEESE, EGGS & WATER. That is IT. Not even one leaf of lettuce. But what's the point??? Just to do it b/c someone "challenged" you? I challenge you to eat a balanced, healthy diet and lose weight in a HEALTHY way. It's really very easy. I have lost nearly 30 lbs (just .6 lbs away) since Jan 1st of this year!)

A high protein diet can be hard on the kidneys of those who have existing kidney problems. Eating animal products or meat is not high protein for most who eat carnivore. Usually the focus is on fatty meats so fat is the largest macro.

Carnivore appears to be a fine way to eat or the Masai and inuit wouldn't have survived (I realize that they did have small amounts of plant matter on ocassion). I know a few people who eat carnivore (95+% of the time), and have for years. They appear to be healthier for it.

I wouldn't want to eat cottage cheese everyday either. :D
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    And people do all sorts of waca-doodle experiments with food - if you are trying to understand how people can get into the whole "only meat" thing I remember reading the Joe Anderson and his family blog about how it was "the best thing for them".

Here is someone who has gone from vegan to all meat. http://zerocarbzen.com/about-me/

Well, personally I'm going to consider all restrictive diets as dubious (or worse) - I'll respect how people eat because I understand it is a multifaceted decision that includes so many different factors - but generally anyone arguing either that their WoE is "nutritionally best" or the opposite that method x is "OMG, gonna die, necessarily nutritionally deficient" is blowing the horn on two sides of the same coin (might as well mix my metaphors and screw the pooch) and full of it.

Any diet may be nutritionally deficient. Almost any diet may meet personal nutritional needs. Most require some thought and specific action.

Would have loved to read any internal dialog she had about switching from all plant diet to the opposite
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    And people do all sorts of waca-doodle experiments with food - if you are trying to understand how people can get into the whole "only meat" thing I remember reading the Joe Anderson and his family blog about how it was "the best thing for them".

Here is someone who has gone from vegan to all meat. http://zerocarbzen.com/about-me/

Well, personally I'm going to consider all restrictive diets as dubious (or worse) - I'll respect how people eat because I understand it is a multifaceted decision that includes so many different factors - but generally anyone arguing either that their WoE is "nutritionally best" or the opposite that method x is "OMG, gonna die, necessarily nutritionally deficient" is blowing the horn on two sides of the same coin (might as well mix my metaphors and screw the pooch) and full of it.

Any diet may be nutritionally deficient. Almost any diet may meet personal nutritional needs. Most require some thought and specific action.

Would have loved to read any internal dialog she had about switching from all plant diet to the opposite

Well, at least she provides a cautionary example of why one should avoid fad diets. Although, I guess if one is drawn to fad diets then she's Wonderwoman. Her "about me" made my head hurt.
  • ItsABreeThing
    ItsABreeThing Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow. You are an awful human being if you go from "vegan", knowing every ounce of cruelty, torture and inhumanity in animal agriculture, to eating nothing but animals.

Earthlings. Watch it.
    Nutritionfacts.org
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Well, at least she provides a cautionary example of why one should avoid fad diets. Although, I guess if one is drawn to fad diets then she's Wonderwoman. Her "about me" made my head hurt.

I know, right? What was it for years - just celery and berries? Now you make me wonder what new diet she'll be writing about in five or ten years. I don't recall if she just called these "diets" and not the severe eating disorders they were, seeing as she had extremely limited diets plus water fasts, and got way down to was it 69 or 85 lbs
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Not everyone gets keto breath.

My pee smells like bacon and I like it.

You like bacon?

Or you like pee that smells like bacon?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the links. Kind of drives home how lame peer reviews can be since they are mainly personal opinions. Man made it to this point eating what he could get to his mouth which was in many parts only raw meats. If carbs were required for good health in humans then they would be a required part of every macro.

Peer reviewed studies are the opposite of personal opinion. By definition and the standard guidelines, they are are vetted by a group of peers and must be reproducible in a similar environment. What has been linked here, and what many on this site seem fond of, are blog pieces that confirm a particular opinion but are not scientifically validated.

I'm also not understanding your last sentence. Carbs are a macronutrient. How can they be a required part of every macro?

Clarifying for those not familiar with peer review and the biological sciences.

The above about peer review is all correct. However the bolded might be misunderstood. There is no requirement to demonstrate reproducibility prior to publication. The paper submitted must contain sufficient detail for the research to be reproduced if the resources are available. Papers are subject to challenge should other researchers attempt to reproduce the work and fail.
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Seems like an Adkins kinda thing, seems like a heart attack.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    hdatres wrote: »
    Seems like an Adkins kinda thing, seems like a heart attack.

First - Atkins

Second, LCHF diets generally improve ones cholesterol profile, and better control blood glucose, thereby reducing risk factors for CVD.

Much better than cockamamie cleanses anyway ;)

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Wow. You are an awful human being if you go from "vegan", knowing every ounce of cruelty, torture and inhumanity in animal agriculture, to eating nothing but animals.

Earthlings. Watch it.
    Nutritionfacts.org

tumblr_mnkxjlHX2E1sto57bo1_500.gif