Help me make coffee suck less

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Get a jar of cinnamon sticks. Drop one in sucky black coffee. It doesn't suck anymore.
  • lillivewire87
    lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
    Take coffee cup over to sink and dump the coffee....refill cup with green tea ;)

All kidding aside (I like coffee but only when it has tons of creamer and sugar in it...so now I just avoid it.)
    My husband loves coffee and while it might sound weird, his favorite thing is to take cold brew and mix it half and half with lemonade. He swears it is the best coffee "drink" he has every tasted.

I have also started dehydrating oranges and lemons and he will just chuck the rings so sit with his cold brew. He loves it.
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    Put two pinches of salt in with the coffee before you brew it and it takes the bitterness away
  • BarbellBabe87
    BarbellBabe87 Posts: 52 Member
    I do 1/4 cup of skim milk & 1 tbsp of creamer. Makes the coffee less than 60 calories & it's plenty sweet & creamy enough. Also very much this
    hdatres wrote: »
    Put two pinches of salt in with the coffee before you brew it and it takes the bitterness away

Getting a quality brand coffee helps too & unfortunately IMO with coffee you get what you pay for.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited May 2016
    vanessa40 wrote: »
    I use sugar free DaVinci syrups

Yeah, right on, that stuff's pretty great. And there are other, similar brands too. I like vanilla, caramel, and hazelnut flavorings.

Also, plain cocoa powder (baking type) is really good.

A tablespoon of either syrup or cocoa, with three packets of Splenda and a quarter cup of (whole) milk in the coffee is my usual. With added fat too.

I don't like the actual coffee either, or caffeine (boosts cortisol), but drink two cups a day anyways for the polyphenols.
  • EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Ok. Black coffee -just like it's brewed- is not as horrible as you might imagine it to be. Try it really fresh, hot, and not too strong.
  • besdais
    besdais Posts: 76 Member
    I buy chocolate flavor coffee and put cinnamon over the grounds. I use coconut milk as my creamer, as it is sweet and creamy. Since finding it, I have given up a zillion year Coffeemate creamer addiction.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    I don't think you should drink coffee if you don't like it. There are lots of energy drinks.

That said, find a local place or go online and get some Kona coffee - 100% not blended. It'll set you back about $35 a pound. You can usually get half pounds. Greenwell Farms is good stuff, can't really go wrong though as long as it's 100%.

Now brew up some of that and that is your standard for coffee. It is very very smooth. Then start with your creamer or milk of whatever to find what you like or in you case maybe tolerate. Have a friend over, they'll say Thank You!
  • natalie3t
    natalie3t Posts: 14 Member
    I enjoy Javita coffee with natural herbs, I actually sleep so much better at night. I think it's the Yerba Matte in it. I also use Truvia sweetener and sometimes coconut vanilla creamer.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Wait....why can't you function?? Are you sleeping enough? Do you have uncontrolled/undetected chronic conditions? Are you eating right? Getting enough exercise? One should not "need" coffee to function.
  • wildgritsbenoit
    wildgritsbenoit Posts: 1 Member
    I LOVE coffee. I drink it strong and black. But if you don't like it why don't you drink black leaf tea? There is more caffeine in that anyways.
  • rlaramee2
    rlaramee2 Posts: 29 Member
    If you hate coffee, why would you force yourself to drink it? Just drink a Red Bull or, better yet, a 5Hour Energy.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Have you considered just not drinking coffee? There are ways of getting caffeine in your body without drinking coffee.

My go-to coffee includes a tablespoon of sugar free hazelnut creamer and 3-4 Splenda packets depending on the size of the cup. Black coffee tastes like death to me. I'm more of a Starbucks girl (yep, I'm basic), but I do enjoy my hazelnut coffee in the afternoons. Not sure why, but it makes me think of Christmas.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2016
    nosajjao wrote: »
    I've never considered a 5hour Energy to be in the realm of "better yet". More like the realm of "WTF are you thinking?"

Seriously, though, @nosajjao, 5HED is not that bad. For example, it might be better than snacking on a bag of moldy chewing tobacco with nothing but a bowl of snot to wash it down.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Why drink coffee if you don't like it? If you want caffeine - there are other sources.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2016
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    I'm a teacher, and I absolutely hate coffee. However, I force myself to drink it on select occasions when I just CAN'T function. I usually add a couple tablespoons of creamer to my coffee, but those calories quickly add up and make my total breakfast calories way too high.

I tried putting my unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee yesterday, and it was absolutely disgusting.

Help! What can I add to my coffee to make it low-calorie AND taste halfway decent?

@ebrass73 -

Good question!

(And pretty clearly put - seemed plain to me that it was neither, "Am I crazy for wanting to drink coffee if I don't really like it but it gives me energy and I want to learn how to enjoy it?" nor "Should I enlist a medical team to help me diagnose the yawns I sometimes get during the work week.")

Any success so far?
  • yumesoraki
    yumesoraki Posts: 4,859 Member
    Once upon a time in undergrad, I hated coffee, so I get it. I loved the way it smelled, but could just not drink it in any form (latte, mocha, even those super sweet things). I drank a lot of diet soda to stay awake during the day while working 2 part time jobs and taking classes(dragging a 2liter to class is kinda frowned upon btw).

One of the other things I really liked when I was exploring coffee initially was similar to people here adding syrup, but for me I added Ovaltine (regular chocolate is 40 cal, classic malt 70cal for 2 Tablespoons for 1 cup).
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    I'm a huge fan of the sugar free powdered coffeemate. I currently have the sugar free vanilla caramel. I use 2 tsp of that and a packet of splenda in my instant coffee over ice. It's not stellar, but it's 25 calories and does the job of waking me up!