Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym Etiquette

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I ask to work in, no biggie, no one has ever said no (I agree that's a kitten move).

My irritation is people who don't rack the weights after, as I've wanted to use the squat rack but not been comfortable doing so (in the evenings, mostly, when it's not that full) to since I couldn't tell if anyone was using it (to ask to work in), and because it's not always the easiest for me to rack the weights, depending on the weight, once I realize whoever is just gone. The first is more irritating, though.
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't like when a person hogs 3 different stations at once if they tell me they got a couple more on it I just use it and tell them I won't take long im a believer in sharing :) but if I'm setting up a bar to start my workout then someone quickly jumps on it I just walk away even though I do get a little irritated if they want to be rude I just let them I figure that girl must need it more then me
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't get too stressed out about machine hoggers ... there is always another exercise that works the same muscles I want to work. Now, if you leave a machine with drippy sweat, then I have a problem.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is people who don't rack their weights. I have a bad back and just got back to lifting in the last few months. I can't be racking 8/45 pound plates because some person was strong enough to use them but not to rack them. Ugh....

Then there is this one woman who apparently uses the adduction/abduction machines for cardio and stays on one machine for 30-40 minutes straight, no rest. That's a little ridiculous. Thankfully she is usually done by the time I'm off the bike if I decide to do cardio first.

My old gym, back in the day, everyone worked in together and were very considerate, I don't see much of that anymore. Too bad, it was kind of nice.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is people who don't rack their weights. I have a bad back and just got back to lifting in the last few months. I can't be racking 8/45 pound plates because some person was strong enough to use them but not to rack them. Ugh....

Then there is this one woman who apparently uses the adduction/abduction machines for cardio and stays on one machine for 30-40 minutes straight, no rest. That's a little ridiculous. Thankfully she is usually done by the time I'm off the bike if I decide to do cardio first.

My old gym, back in the day, everyone worked in together and were very considerate, I don't see much of that anymore. Too bad, it was kind of nice.

Video or it didn't happen!!

But oh well, if you squat, you're working your adductors and abductors enough already.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

So weights, dumbbells etc are on a rack, and should be replaced when finished, right? Do these people just leave them on the floor when they're done?? :anguished:
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

So weights, dumbbells etc are on a rack, and should be replaced when finished, right? Do these people just leave them on the floor when they're done?? :anguished:

Some people do.
    Most often it's people leaving plates on a barbell after they're finished with it.
    It's a foul for sure.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

On the bar. It's the worst, since you can't tell if they are done and might not be able to move the weights, depending.

Dumbbells really aren't an issue and I almost posted before recommending that you start with dumbbell exercises if nervous about the gym.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Some people do.
    Most often it's people leaving plates on a barbell after they're finished with it.
    It's a foul for sure.

This guy on the bench had left 3-4 45s and a 55 on each side of the row machine but said he was finished, so I started taking them off because I wasn't gonna sit and wait while he finished benching. So then he comes over and tries to take the 55 off my hands! Little late by then. He was a big dude too.. probably didn't feel great about a female less than half his size putting up his weights. He helped in the end, but it annoyed me that he left it and then thought he needed to help me with a plate I was obviously having no trouble carrying.

On a side note, I love organizing and the gym. I might be in heaven if I got paid to do nothing but keep the plates organized :)
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    @Christine_72 there are some people who leave Dumbbells laying around, some that put them back in all the wrong places, but mostly it's on barbells, squat racks, hammer strength machines and the leg sled. It's ridiculous. Sometimes there's up to 5-7 plates per side on the sled. I used to be annoyed but move them, now, with a bad back, there's no way I can. Not worth the risk for me. That aside, this is no reason not to go to the gym. You'll be fine. Obnoxious that they don't rack the weights but they're nice enough.

@Carlos_421 I swear! The first time I saw it I thought it was weird, now I've seen her do it multiple times. Unfortunately, no squats for me right now, maybe never. Very close to bone on bone in my left knee, and a bad back from car accident. I've just been pain free for a couple months after a year and half of constant pain and shots. I'm very cautious.
  • DarthSamson
    DarthSamson Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I just loudy ask, hey while you're playing "Farmville" do you mind if I keep working out !
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I deal with this by not going to the gym....