May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Can you just do a handstand and walk around on your hands for two weeks? :trollface:

Wish I had a better idea for the boot.

Good luck this weekend @_nikkiwolf_ !
    @Elise4270 - Can you just do a handstand and walk around on your hands for two weeks? :trollface:

I ditched it. I'll just suck it up. Maybe go for a rebellious run later.
  • zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Really happy the rain held off last night and I was able to get out and run versus getting on the TM...I get so bored running on that thing!

5/1……Rest Day
    5/2……2.13 miles
    5/3……Rest Day
    5/4……2.11 miles

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

@Elise4270 Never Google your symptoms when you're feeling bad! ;) Hoping hard the two weeks goes fast and that they ensure full recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKpClbqc4QY
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

May

1-0
    2-stretching
    3-stretching-knee is still sore
    4-yoga tonight/foam rolled
    5-nothing yet

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17

May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual
    June 11-Rock n Sole 1/4 Marathon?
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Did you really??? :lol:

I gotta admit, I'd probably do the same. But I would take it easy on that foot for the next two weeks and simply feel comfortable as opposed to being miserable in that evil boot contraption.

If you do go for a run, do it on your hands, or on just the one good foot. :smile:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @Anabbee - Don't let anyone convince you that you are doing anything wrong in any way when running. Some people are kitten-holes. I like @Stoshew71 's advice about just running along and having the guy keep up. :lol:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    zoe2434 wrote: »

@Elise4270 Those big boots are very uncomfortable. Did you try wearing a high sock to help minimize the rub on your leg?

No. I don't have any. I'm just gonna will it better. Think the last doc was a quack anyhow. I'll just give it some more time then find a real doctor if needed.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Did you really??? :lol:

I gotta admit, I'd probably do the same. But I would take it easy on that foot for the next two weeks and simply feel comfortable as opposed to being miserable in that evil boot contraption.

If you do go for a run, do it on your hands, or on just the one good foot. :smile:

Ya I seriously ditched it. I was sweating in pain with it. I had a steroid shot in my hipass last week and the altered gait caused too much pain in that hipass. I'd have been down for a week if I wore the boot all day. I won't run. It really hurts too much..... Unless i wann so it in good..... But that be dumb... I aint no dummy. I'll just take extra work breaks and keep my boots sinched up.

@Orphia @Stoshew71 I think that's the doctor I saw! I heard a stat that 50% of docs are frauds.

Thanks for all the support guys and gals! I'm going to quit pouting now.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I know you ditched the boot already, but tips for the future for anyone who gets put in a boot: 1) GET BOOT SOCKS. The knee high ones, in a thick material. They are a life saver. 2) Do not wear a tennis shoe or other flat shoe on your other foot. Find a boot or heeled shoe that matches up closely in height. Cowboy boots work well. You're still going to be walking funny because of the rocker on the boot, but at least you won't be jarring your hips around and standing crooked all day.

My calves are super sore and stiff. Rest day today--was supposed to be a spin class day, but I have my ortho appointment this afternoon, so full rest it is.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    5/1-26.7 miles Flying Pig marathon (per Garmin)
    5/2- recovery day
    5/3- Recovery day
    5/4- 1.0 miles of running with the puppy

Ran a bit with the puppy last night. So I am looking for advice from those who run with their dogs. When you started training them to run with you, how did you keep them from darting in front of you? I know my dog is still kind of young (6 months) and maybe I need to be patient, but I also don't want her to develop any bad habits that I can't break. Right now we just do walk/run drills around my neighborhood. She is pretty good at some things. She obeys the "run" and "stop" commands well. She usually runs alongside me, but sometimes she gets excited and starts to go fast and then crosses in front of me, tripping me up. Any advice on how I break her of this?

exercise.png

• miminava
    miminava Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    exercise.png[img][/img]
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    5/1-26.7 miles Flying Pig marathon (per Garmin)
    5/2- recovery day
    5/3- Recovery day
    5/4- 1.0 miles of running with the puppy

Ran a bit with the puppy last night. So I am looking for advice from those who run with their dogs. When you started training them to run with you, how did you keep them from darting in front of you? I know my dog is still kind of young (6 months) and maybe I need to be patient, but I also don't want her to develop any bad habits that I can't break. Right now we just do walk/run drills around my neighborhood. She is pretty good at some things. She obeys the "run" and "stop" commands well. She usually runs alongside me, but sometimes she gets excited and starts to go fast and then crosses in front of me, tripping me up. Any advice on how I break her of this?

exercise.png

Sign the dog up for a half marathon? :lol:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/26/owner-alabama-bloodhound-that-finished-7th-in-half-marathon-speaks-out.html

• jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    May Goal 84 miles - April 50 completed 69.16 so should be doable
    even though I have yet to log a mile this month due to travel!

exercise.png

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    Rough run. Tried the 20 minutes nonstop again and struggled with a fast heart rate and breathing. Need 2 walk breaks again. I will do intervals Friday and try again Saturday or Sunday.

Keep at it..you'll get there.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    So I am looking for advice from those who run with their dogs. When you started training them to run with you, how did you keep them from darting in front of you? I know my dog is still kind of young (6 months) and maybe I need to be patient, but I also don't want her to develop any bad habits that I can't break. Right now we just do walk/run drills around my neighborhood. She is pretty good at some things. She obeys the "run" and "stop" commands well. She usually runs alongside me, but sometimes she gets excited and starts to go fast and then crosses in front of me, tripping me up. Any advice on how I break her of this?

@lporter229 , that's just a puppy being a puppy. I have a very well trained dog who is an awesome running partner now, but I know he wouldn't have been at 6 months. You might talk to your vet as well. As I recall, I was told not to run with my dog until he was a year old because his joints or growth plates couldn't handle running on pavement, or some such reason.

For a canine running partner, it all starts with a strong foundation in obedience. Two books I feel are really good in the area of puppy training are "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With" and "My Smart Puppy". They presented some concepts which were easy to implement and quite effective.

My suggestion is to work on obedience at home (which you probably are) and well behaved walks for now and when she's a year old, start with short runs.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into those books. We have been working with my puppy at home and she has come along way since we got her 6 weeks ago. I need to remember that she is still a puppy!

As for running, I did talk to my vet. He said I should not try to run any long distances with her until she is a year old, but that it would be okay to do some walk/run drills to get her used to the idea. We never go for more than a mile at a time and our run intervals are usually less than a minute long. I guess I just need to be more patient.

@Stoshew71 - I remember seeing that story! Sounds like something Stella might do. She is a hound dog and I was told that she will want to run!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Anabbee That's crazy that someone would stop like that. Maybe they were mental. Or on meth. Never stop and let someone engage you out on a run. Keep on truckin'.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles
    5/3 - rest
    5/4 - 5 miles great morning to run, 50 and just beautiful.
    5/5 - 6 miles

20 out of 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    5/7 Steeplechase 8K
    5/14 Technicolor 5K
    5/30 Cotton Row 10
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles
    5/3 - rest
    5/4 - 5 miles great morning to run, 50 and just beautiful.
    5/5 - 6 miles

20 out of 100 miles
    AAAHHH....you got ahead of me! Keep it up! B)