May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple months to finally realize I liked the Ghosts a little bit better. Until then I was just enjoying the ride in both. At some point it just sort of clicked in my brain that I was enjoying my runs in the Ghosts just a bit more on a consistent basis. It's a small difference, but one that you may also notice like I did.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    On a shoe topic. I have 100 miles on my new favorite pair. I love these shoes. The drop is the same as the previous pair (136 miles) I'd been in with minimal problems. That's 2-3 months in a new drop. My miles have been coming up, but more importantly, my distance walking is much less. So 5 miles in April wasn't the same intensity as 5 miles in February.

Prior to the last 2 pair of shoes, the drop changed from a 10 to a 6. Is it likely (especially with injury) that I'm still not use to the change? The 6 feels more natural. If I try to run in the 10, I get serious calf cramps. Maybe I should spend some money on new shoes that are 7-8 on the drop, least for a few hundred miles.

Thoughts? And shoes with a 7-8 drop?
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If I run in anything over 4mm drop, I develop multiples pains and injuries. Zero drop keeps me running virtually pain free... My trail shoes are the only 4mms that I have, but I really don't notice it on the trails.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    If I run in anything over 4mm drop, I develop multiples pains and injuries. Zero drop keeps me running virtually pain free... My trail shoes are the only 4mms that I have, but I really don't notice it on the trails.

I run zero drop sometimes. 4mm (kinvaras) are my favorite though.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Heel drop is really not well studied as I understand. The theory behind zero drop being "natural" only makes common sense, but there are many things athletes do to gain some sort of edge that is unnatural. That is not to say anything higher of a value for heel drop is better.

I found it interesting that I liked my Ghosts better which have a higher heel drop. My long term goal was to reduce heel drop, particularly as I plan to migrate towards trails long term. Yet I preferred a shoe with a higher drop on the road (whatever that means).
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

@PoppetsMaster 100 mile run?!!!!?

*trembles in awe*
    I am going to attempt it... all my races this summer are basically being used as training runs. My brother has done two 100 mile races so far and he really wants me to do this with him. I have some concerns though.... one is the time I have to put into training for it. When the program starts calling for 70-75 mile weeks, I will have to do doubles to get all the miles in and that sucks away big chunks of time. Two, I wonder how I will hold up under the wear and tear of that many training miles. And three (the biggest concern) is the course itself. UltraRunning magazine rates it as the second most difficult course on the East Coast... and with a 40 hour cutoff, it is a substantially more brutal course than I would have chosen for my first attempt. But we will take a good hard whack at it... lol

Good luck man! I will be running a 50k in 4 wks then possibly 80k in June and 100k in July. I haven't decided for sure yet. I'm waiting to see if I change my mind after the 50k lol. If all goes well, a 100miler would be next.

There is this 24hr run that's literally 3miles from my house. It's next year. I'm definitely running some distance there. 6hr, 12hr, 24hr, 48hr options.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    5.2 miles today. Very hot again but felt a bit easier than yesterday.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I went from Glycerin's 12 to 13 to the Launch 3 and LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I tried on the Ghost and didn't find them to be as comfortable. Skip who swore she would never leave her Asics for Brooks even switched when she tried the Launch.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Well, my ortho surgeon referred me to another ortho in the same practice today. The new guy is the one that actually does all of the ankle reconstruction surgeries there. My appointment with him isn't until the 24th, so the process continues to drag on a little longer still... Options discussed today are: 1) Booting me again, for up to two months, to see if that gets rid of the inflammation (Clearly, I hate this idea--I've already been in a boot once this year, probably due to compensating for my ankle and causing a stress fracture in my fibula. And my ankle still sucks); or 2) Surgery to remove the os trigonum and debulk the soleus muscle (this would require about 8 weeks of down time, but should prevent future recurrences--this sounds like the better option to me).

"Ankle Reconstruction Surgery" sounds way more serious than "they're taking out the extra bone and muscle that shouldn't be there". lol
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into watches/trackers with GPS...
    Any thoughts on the Garmin Vivoactive HR? Amazon only has it available for preorder, so not a lot of reviews yet.
    I watched a few YouTube reviews and a comparison to Fitbit (I'm more familiar with the more basic Fitbits as several of my friends and myself use them regularly.) I also had a basic Polar until my dog chewed up the chest strap...
    I like that it can also be used as a daily tracker, so I could essentially ditch the Fitbit and not need to wear both.

This guy has the best reviews when it comes to GPS watches.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/02/garmins-vivoactivehr-vivofit3.html
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

@PoppetsMaster 100 mile run?!!!!?

*trembles in awe*
    I am going to attempt it... all my races this summer are basically being used as training runs. My brother has done two 100 mile races so far and he really wants me to do this with him. I have some concerns though.... one is the time I have to put into training for it. When the program starts calling for 70-75 mile weeks, I will have to do doubles to get all the miles in and that sucks away big chunks of time. Two, I wonder how I will hold up under the wear and tear of that many training miles. And three (the biggest concern) is the course itself. UltraRunning magazine rates it as the second most difficult course on the East Coast... and with a 40 hour cutoff, it is a substantially more brutal course than I would have chosen for my first attempt. But we will take a good hard whack at it... lol

Yeah! I am going to stick with my marathons for now. Big props to you tho.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Ya avoid the boot! Awful that you'll be down so long. I've been working with my hip surgeon for 9 months and we are just getting to a surgical option. I'm glad he's been conservative, but it seems those docs loose track of the time. I guess that's easy when your not the one hurting.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options

I find that as well. I am a cheap CHEAP girl and I tend to buy my shoes in thrift stores...even running shoes. I lucked out and just happened to grab some that turned out to be zero drop....loved them to death, but they were second hand so they didn't last as long as new ones would have due to the amount of mileage they get. I didn't know what I was missing until I went to get another pair of shoes, NOT zero drop, and all of a sudden my knees and hips hurt like a mother trucker. I've hunted high and low for zero drop.....even willing to pay for something brand new. NOTHING anywhere where I live. reDONKulous
  • PoppetsMaster
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options

I find that as well. I am a cheap CHEAP girl and I tend to buy my shoes in thrift stores...even running shoes. I lucked out and just happened to grab some that turned out to be zero drop....loved them to death, but they were second hand so they didn't last as long as new ones would have due to the amount of mileage they get. I didn't know what I was missing until I went to get another pair of shoes, NOT zero drop, and all of a sudden my knees and hips hurt like a mother trucker. I've hunted high and low for zero drop.....even willing to pay for something brand new. NOTHING anywhere where I live. reDONKulous

@meganjcallaghan Hard to beat Ebay! New and used women's Altra shoes widely available. Altra is zero drop shoes. Wide toe boxes.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Womens-Shoes/3034/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_nkw=altra&_blrs=spell_auto_correct
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options

I tried....they don't ship to Canada :'(

I've ordered a pair of Skora....THEY ship to Canada. I'll have a crack at those because I also need ones that don't lace all the way up at the ankle as my right heel is so much narrower that I have to lace super tight to keep the shoe from slipping on the back of my foot...ones that lace at the ankle end up giving me a weird lump. The ones I found...Skora Phase, I think they're called, they don't make it all the way up to the ankle and they lace asymmetrically so there's no pressure at all in the lumpy spot. Hopefully that'll give it a chance to go away.
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
    How come new shoes always arrive before long run day? This whole waiting for another run so I can wear them kind of stinks.

I wear them no matter when they come in... lol... two weeks ago I got a new pair of Merrells and got up the next morning and did 23 miles in them... of course, that's a credit to Merrell for making shoes that are ready right out of the box... I have no patience to "break in" a pair of shoes.
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

@meganjcallaghan Hard to beat Ebay! New and used women's Altra shoes widely available. Altra is zero drop shoes. Wide toe boxes.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Womens-Shoes/3034/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_nkw=altra&_blrs=spell_auto_correct

haha...i had done a BIT of poking around ebay...hadn't found anything in my size yet that I thought might suit. A lot of them seemed to be a bit high stack for my liking
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options

I tried....they don't ship to Canada :'(

Oh... eff that... that is reason enough to move.
    I wonder if I would get busted at the border smuggling in a trunk full of Merrells....