Cooking spray is NOT zero calories...I can prove it...start counting it in your calorie count!

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Had no problems with losing 120 pounds while using cooking spray.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing what you learned, Tweaking_Time, I'm sure it's news to some.

I didn't know when I started using MFP - I just assumed zero calories meant, well, zero calories. I don't use those spays anymore since I've moved away from the low-calorie-diet-food sort of mindset but I remember lots of sites like Skinnytaste using these sprays liberally in their recipes (which is why I bought them in the first place) and not counting the calories.

White knight: She does count the calories in her recipes, and explained how in one of the comments sections. I can't remember the particular recipe though.
  • DarthSamson
    DarthSamson Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    odd read the can again how big is the serving ?
    if there are .4 calories a serving then 1>.4> O

So question is how many servings in the can ? and what percentage of the contents are olive oil

if most of the can contents is pressured air they do not list pressurized air on the ingredients list
    ok I just went and looked
    Serving Size about 1/4 second spray (.2g) thats 0.2 grams
    what do you think the calories are in 1 gram of Haagen Dazs Ice cream ?
    340 in half a cup
    there are about 237 mLs in one American cup
    237/2 = 118 g 340 calories in 118g of Haagen Daz
    so 2.8 calories a Gram of hagendaus

but this is 1/5 of a gram
    2.8 /5 hagandas has less than 1/2 calorie per .20g

you thought your cooking spray held more ????

Servings Per Container about 476

- See more at: http://www.pamcookingspray.com/non-stick-spray-products/olive-oil-spray/#sthash.Ai1C1C6k.dpuf
  • DarthSamson
    Options
    tweaking you math was all wrong :)
    Serving Size about 1/4 second spray (.2g)

size .20 grams X 5 = 1 gram

- See more at: http://www.pamcookingspray.com/non-stick-spray-products/olive-oil-spray/#sthash.Ai1C1C6k.ojkihqKP.dpuf
  • DarthSamson
    Options
    Pam states that there are 5 oz. per can

Olive oil is 238 calories/ounce - so there is a total of 1,190 calories in a can of Pam
    what ?
    gold is 3800 dollars an ounce there are 6 oz in an ounce of pam
    so pam must be worth $ 28,000

you are comparing oranges to volkswagens
    if pam was pure olive oil 238 calories an ounce ?
    there are 30 grams in an ounce

238/30 = 8 now campers what is 1/5 of 8 1.6 ?
    so pam would have 1.6 calories if all that pam was was olive oil

you are compairing oranges to volkswagons
    - See more at: http://www.pamcookingspray.com/non-stick-spray-products/olive-oil-spray/#sthash.Ai1C1C6k.dpuf
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    tweaking you math was all wrong :)

size .20 grams X 5 = 1 gram

- See more at: http://www.pamcookingspray.com/non-stick-spray-products/olive-oil-spray/#sthash.Ai1C1C6k.ojkihqKP.dpuf

I beg to differ. My math is spot on. Yours, however...

... I am not going to repeat my original post with the math. Scroll up and go through it again.

If you still want more corroborating evidence - look it up on MFP - you will find many 9 cal. for a 1 second spray - but of course, that is wrong by one calorie and I proved it B)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    This really should be a concern for people who are close to their goal. I'm nowhere near that and I log it. But I also log my black coffee. Fifteen calories might seem like nothing, but it matters over the long haul and it matters a lot when you have to be strict with your deficit because you have no wiggle room. Cooking spray, coffee, a calorie here, a calorie there...it does add up.

I drink black coffee daily, but don't log it even though I'm close to goal and have little room for error. The reason why is that I drink it every day, I am not going to cut it for the purposes of cutting calories, so ultimately if I log 1800 calories and it's really 1830 or even 1845 (assuming 10-15 cal per cup, although I don't know, never checked) and I'm not losing the answer is to cut calories. The fact that it's really 1830 that I'm consuming vs. 1800 doesn't matter, since I don't focus on the calculator suggestions but actual results over time.

For the same reason I never logged Vitamin D when I was taking it.
  • charleycartee
    charleycartee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So I looked at my Pam, and there is another box of info next to the nutrition facts box that compares Pam to butter and oil. This is a bright white box outlined obviously in red with print the same size as the nutrition info. And it says:

PAM (1 second spray) Fat 1 (g) Calories 9
    Butter (1 Tablespoon) Fat 11 (g) Calories 100
    Canola Oil (1 Tablespoon) Fat 14 (g) Calories 120

So yeah, it's not zero calories. I'll admit, I think it's silly that the serving size is a quarter of a second spray, I'm not even sure that's physically possible, but I think the serving size of all sorts of things are silly. But if you're ruining your diet with copious amounts of cooking spray, you need to reevaluate your cooking methods.

The can also warned me not to deliberately inhale the contents. And not to spray it near an open flame. And proudly announces there is a freshness date on the bottom! All good to know.

1. Not all of what you spray will be absorbed by what you're cooking, depending on cooking method.
    2. If you do a 2 second spray for a family of 4 then you're still talking less than 5 calories per serving. To me, that's negligible. My food scale has a margin of error that can easily lead to more overage than that.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the math, I appreciate the details! To be honest the first time I heard about zero calorie oil spray not being zero calories was on the biggest loser. Jillian said well it's oil in a can so if you spray it long enough it's gonna be a lot of calories. I just try to be light handed with it when I use it, which isn't all that often, really.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the math. I'd never count it, but thanks.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,052 Member
    Options
    Re people's maths - I really don't think it matters if your spray has 10 calories per spray or 9 calories per spray or you spray for 1/2 second or 1/3 second.

I don't count cooking spray - I use it lightly and the calories are negligible. Same as diet coke and other 'not really zero' products.

Work for me.

But if counting it works for you, that's good.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It weirds me out that in America it's legal to say something has 0 calories if it's less than 5. In the UK we have different rules and I log my Diet Coke (0.4 cal per 100 ml) and my olive oil spray (2 cal per pump). More than anything it's about awareness for me - if I get into the headspace of 'oh I won't log that, it doesn't count' then it could potentially be a slippery slope to 'oh I won't log this condiment, or this sugar free jelly, or this bite or that bite' and then my tight deficit would be shot.

That's just me though, my OH doesn't care about logging sauces, etc and he has lost 30 lbs just fine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    A 1 second spray for 10 calories or even if i miscalculate and do 20 calories its still A LOT less calories than 2 teaspoons of oil.

This. If I find that there's a bit too much in the pan I just enter 1/2 tsp or something.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    This really should be a concern for people who are close to their goal. I'm nowhere near that and I log it. But I also log my black coffee. Fifteen calories might seem like nothing, but it matters over the long haul and it matters a lot when you have to be strict with your deficit because you have no wiggle room. Cooking spray, coffee, a calorie here, a calorie there...it does add up.

I drink black coffee daily, but don't log it even though I'm close to goal and have little room for error. The reason why is that I drink it every day, I am not going to cut it for the purposes of cutting calories, so ultimately if I log 1800 calories and it's really 1830 or even 1845 (assuming 10-15 cal per cup, although I don't know, never checked) and I'm not losing the answer is to cut calories. The fact that it's really 1830 that I'm consuming vs. 1800 doesn't matter, since I don't focus on the calculator suggestions but actual results over time.

For the same reason I never logged Vitamin D when I was taking it.
    That's an interesting perspective, thanks for sharing your strategy. Estimating and accounting for calories in my coffee, spices, and Pam spray can make me feel a little crazy at times. I don't know how to NOT try to be perfect (but the perfection mentality is exhausting and I give up entirely in bouts). I need to find a logical middle ground and your explanation is helpful.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    For this example I am using Pam Olive Oil cooking spray and reading right off the (misleading) nutrition label.

Olive oil is 238 calories/ounce - so there is a total of 1,190 calories in a can of Pam

Serving size is 1/4 second spray

So...1,190 cal. /473 servings = 2.5158562367864693446088794926004 B) calories per serving

so...a one second spray is

4 x 2.516 = 10.06 calories/one second spray - lets just round that down to 10 calories/1-second spray

Don't believe it??? - the main ingredient is the list of ingredients is extra virgin olive oil.

OK - so this is not a huge number - but every little bit counts. I figure the cooking sprays use a 1/4 second spray serving (2.51 cal) and then figure that is split among 6 servings of food (0.42 cal.) - getting it down to their (misleading) zero calories.

This is just one example of LYING LABELS- and yes, of course it is deliberately misleading.

Years ago I was (quite stupidly, I'll admit) on a no fat diet. I found a salad dressing that was YUMMY and had "zero" fat! However, when I looked at the label, it contained OIL. I called the company- and after a lot of persistence, they finally let me speak with a "food chemist" (a contradiction in terms if ever I heard one) Guess what? *That bottle was 40% oil* FORTY PERCENT- and they are allowed to say "zero fat" because they purposely make their portion size SO small (something like 1 tsp if I remember correctly). Show me a person on the planet who uses 1 tsp of salad dressing.

In my opinion, lying labels, processed foods that do not divulge all of their ingredients (and which contain substances produced in a lab that the body doesn't know what to do with) are major contributors to the obesity epidemic in the USA that we have experienced in the last 50 years.

Yes- you can still lose weight if you eat garbage-and congratulations to all those who have reached their goals. But it's certainly not going to speed your progress or make you healthier. Personally I prefer to eat FOOD.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    For this example I am using Pam Olive Oil cooking spray and reading right off the (misleading) nutrition label.

Serving size is 1/4 second spray

So...1,190 cal. /473 servings = 2.5158562367864693446088794926004 B) calories per serving

so...a one second spray is

4 x 2.516 = 10.06 calories/one second spray - lets just round that down to 10 calories/1-second spray

Don't believe it??? - the main ingredient is the list of ingredients is extra virgin olive oil.

OK - so this is not a huge number - but every little bit counts. I figure the cooking sprays use a 1/4 second spray serving (2.51 cal) and then figure that is split among 6 servings of food (0.42 cal.) - getting it down to their (misleading) zero calories.

This is just one example of LYING LABELS- and yes, of course it is deliberately misleading.

Years ago I was (quite stupidly, I'll admit) on a no fat diet. I found a salad dressing that was YUMMY and had "zero" fat! However, when I looked at the label, it contained OIL. I called the company- and after a lot of persistence, they finally let me speak with a "food chemist" (a contradiction in terms if ever I heard one) Guess what? *That bottle was 40% oil* FORTY PERCENT- and they are allowed to say "zero fat" because they purposely make their portion size SO small (something like 1 tsp if I remember correctly). Show me a person on the planet who uses 1 tsp of salad dressing.

In my opinion, lying labels, processed foods that do not divulge all of their ingredients (and which contain substances produced in a lab that the body doesn't know what to do with) are major contributors to the obesity epidemic in the USA that we have experienced in the last 50 years.

Yes- you can still lose weight if you eat garbage-and congratulations to all those who have reached their goals. But it's certainly not going to speed your progress or make you healthier. Personally I prefer to eat FOOD.

It didn't hinder me at all. Let's not place blame for something as complex as obesity on your opinion.

Oh, I ate food too. But maybe it's something different when spelled in all caps.