HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I agree with Stef too. Don't compare yourself to others. Worry the most about form more then what you are lifting. I progressed very quickly on legs but other lifts due to injuries it took me almost 2 years to hit what some people do in 2-3 months.
  • SagarikaBedi
    SagarikaBedi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I bloat heavily when I lift heavy...how to combat that
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Kerryatoon wrote: »
    I'm just getting started in weight lifting but here is my progress so far. The first pics I was losing weight eating at a deficit and doing cardio.. 12 lbs later I'm doing a 5x5 program. I'm looking super bulky right? :wink:
    FYI: I'm a breast cancer survivor without reconstruction.. if my scars offend you I'm so not sorry.

Loving your shoulder definition: I'll keep on keeping on!!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @quiksylver296 how much weight do you normally lift...

@SagarikaBedi She lifts more and more weight every week. 5x5 Stronglifts is a progressive program to get you to lift as much as possible using compound lifts.

She willingly updates a small group of friends on her progress every week at least and is an inspiration to us all.

<3@quiksylver296

Awwww, thanks @lilaclovebird! <3 you, too!
  • quiksylver296
    edited May 2016
    Options

@SagarikaBedi

Stronglifts incorporates squats, bench press, deadlift, overhead press (OHP), and barbell rows. I started at the bar (45 pounds) on all five of them. When you successfully complete five sets of five reps, you move up five pounds. I am currently at:

Squats - 200 lbs
    Bench press - 128 lbs (I bought fractional plates when I couldn't move up 5 pounds at a time any more.)
    OHP - 82 lbs
    Deadlifts - 245 lbs (MY FAVORITE!!! It makes me feel so BADASS!!! B) )
    Rows - 119 lbs.

I tack on a few extra exercises now, mostly ones that help me master pull-ups. But when I started, I only did the SL 5.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

@SagarikaBedi

Stronglifts incorporates squats, bench press, deadlift, overhead press (OHP), and barbell rows. I started at the bar (45 pounds) on all five of them. When you successfully complete five sets of five reps, you move up five pounds. I am currently at:

Squats - 200 lbs
    Bench press - 128 lbs (I bought fractional plates when I couldn't move up 5 pounds at a time any more.)
    OHP - 82 lbs
    Rows - 119 lbs.

I tack on a few extra exercises now, mostly ones that help me master pull-ups. But when I started, I only did the SL 5.

What extra exercises do you tack on and how did you fit them in, how many sets, etc. I've been wanting to do a kind of modified sl's (bc that's pretty much what I've been doing just probably way too many accessories) so I'm curious as to what others do....
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    ljk0615 wrote: »

@SagarikaBedi

Squats - 200 lbs
    OHP - 82 lbs
    Rows - 119 lbs.

What extra exercises do you tack on and how did you fit them in, how many sets, etc. I've been wanting to do a kind of modified sl's (bc that's pretty much what I've been doing just probably way too many accessories) so I'm curious as to what others do....

I mostly do assisted pull-ups and dips (on the Nautilus machine), or negative pull-ups on the bar now, if I have time. I try to do at least 3X5 of these, but if I'm feeling stronger I do more sets. My goal is to do be able to do pull-ups, so I focus there. I do these after I do my SLs exercises.

I've done good mornings, kettle bell swings, biceps curls, etc., once in awhile. I just wing it mostly. My focus is always on the SLs, not the extra exercises. I haven't personally checked it out, but I hear Ice Cream Fitness (ICF) is a program like SLs with extra exercises actually added into the program.
  • Old_Slowly
    Old_Slowly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow. Great to see this old thread resurrected.
    So many people with so much to be proud of.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ljk0615 wrote: »

@SagarikaBedi

Squats - 200 lbs
    OHP - 82 lbs
    Rows - 119 lbs.

I mostly do assisted pull-ups and dips (on the Nautilus machine), or negative pull-ups on the bar now, if I have time. I try to do at least 3X5 of these, but if I'm feeling stronger I do more sets. My goal is to do be able to do pull-ups, so I focus there. I do these after I do my SLs exercises.

I've done good mornings, kettle bell swings, biceps curls, etc., once in awhile. I just wing it mostly. My focus is always on the SLs, not the extra exercises. I haven't personally checked it out, but I hear Ice Cream Fitness (ICF) is a program like SLs with extra exercises actually added into the program.

another one that does "accessory" lifts is Wendler 5/3/1 if you choose to do them. 4 big lifts in a schedule you make for yourself (1 lift a day with rest days, 2 lifts a day etc)

I don't do many accessory lifts either...might have to start tho..
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Wow. this thread is awesome! Congrats to everyone!

Question though - I'd never heard of the 5x5 before (will have to research). I currently do what I consider "heavy" lifting, but 3 sets of 8-10 reps. My current BP is 135, DL is 185 maintaining the weight 3 full sets. Could probably do more, but I want to hit the 8-10 reps. Anyone notice a change in results going from a 3-set plan to the 5x5 other than lifting more weight?

Thanks in advance!
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Awww.. such an awesome thread. Props! And OP you look phenomenal.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    acbraswell wrote: »

Question though - I'd never heard of the 5x5 before (will have to research). I currently do what I consider "heavy" lifting, but 3 sets of 8-10 reps. My current BP is 135, DL is 185 maintaining the weight 3 full sets. Could probably do more, but I want to hit the 8-10 reps. Anyone notice a change in results going from a 3-set plan to the 5x5 other than lifting more weight?

Thanks in advance!

This isn't actually considered "heavy." Generally, heavy lifting is working at a weight where you can do about 3-5 reps a set (and up to 5 sets). Heavy is relative, what is heavy for one person isn't for another, so it's all based on how many reps.

I noticed, when I went from 3 sets of 8-10 to a 5x5 that I saw greater increases in strength more quickly. I'm now doing Wendler's 5/3/1 which has those same benefits of increasing stregthn.

I've read a lot that indicates lifting in the 3-5 range is best for strength, the 8-10 rep range is best for hypertrophy. Adding muscle mass or losing fat can happen on either plan, that is more about what you eat (well, really, how much).

HTH
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Bump. Because, motivation. :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    mathjulz wrote: »
    acbraswell wrote: »

Thanks in advance!

This isn't actually considered "heavy." Generally, heavy lifting is working at a weight where you can do about 3-5 reps a set (and up to 5 sets). Heavy is relative, what is heavy for one person isn't for another, so it's all based on how many reps.

I noticed, when I went from 3 sets of 8-10 to a 5x5 that I saw greater increases in strength more quickly. I'm now doing Wendler's 5/3/1 which has those same benefits of increasing stregthn.

I've read a lot that indicates lifting in the 3-5 range is best for strength, the 8-10 rep range is best for hypertrophy. Adding muscle mass or losing fat can happen on either plan, that is more about what you eat (well, really, how much).

HTH

Actually heavy is a relative term that is subjective to the person doing it. And imo if a woman is doing 8-10 reps of those weights that is heavy and will build strength as long as it's progressive.

•1-5 Reps Per Set = Mostly Strength
    •5-8 Reps Per Set = Strength AND Muscle Equally
    •8-10 Reps Per Set = Muscle With Some Strength
    •10-12 Reps Per Set = Muscle With Some Endurance
    •12-15 Reps Per Set = Endurance With Some Muscle
    •15-20 Reps Per Set = Mostly Endurance

I did 5x5 for 9 months, moved to 3x5 for the summer as I didn't want to spend 90 mins lifting and it was getting to that with the rests required.

Then to Wendler 5/3/1 for a change and now doing the 8-10 reps but it's progressive so still keeping the strength.

Adding muscle won't usually happen at a deficit regardless of rep# (yes there are exceptions)

I think we're basically in agreement. Most of what you say is the same as what I said; whether 8-10 reps is "heavy" or not may be a point of disagreement, but yes, if it's a progressive program it will include some strength building. (She asked about experiences of going from 8-10 to 3-5, which I answered.)

And I completely agree about the idea that adding muscle won't happen at a deficit, with a few reps. It's about what /how much one eats, but can happen at 8-10 or at 3-5.

The best thing is to find which setup works best for you - time, goals, etc. Just don't be afraid of lifting!! (This is for anyone reading, not aimed at SexySteph specifically)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!