On 1200 calories. Need motivation :D

Options

Replies

• meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Do any of you guys know how many calories you burn in a day? If you're only eating 1200 calories but you're burning 2000+ each day how are you gonna stick to that long term?! http://kyrawilliamsfitness.com/how-many-calories-do-i-burn-in-a-day/

It depends. I would say on average around 400 calories. Weekends it's more because I do my longer runs and races that time.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Do any of you guys know how many calories you burn in a day? If you're only eating 1200 calories but you're burning 2000+ each day how are you gonna stick to that long term?! http://kyrawilliamsfitness.com/how-many-calories-do-i-burn-in-a-day/

Yes, my bariatric endocrinologist helped me figure this out: around 1200 plus exercise. Certain days I am on my feet all day at work, on those days (don't exercise on days I work 14 hours) I burn about 1600-1700, the same number I burn on days I exercise. So I am at the proper number of calories for my height, weight, muscle mass, and activity level. Thanks for the question!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I use a tdee calculator. Find your total energy expended per day, the tdee, then subtract 500 or 250, whatever you want and eat according to that. Excersize levels are part of tdee, so no need to add calories foe excersize back in. I start with sedentary tdee because my excersize has been very hit and miss lately. I allow myself to add a few hundred calories from time to time as long as I never go over maintenance, which is that tdee number before subtracting the 500 calories for the weight loss deficit. This is working very well for me. I don't have to lose quickly, I am learning to moderate portions and log accurately.
  • learntolovetheburn15
    learntolovetheburn15 Posts: 157 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am around the 1400 calorie mark atm and did try 1200 calories but it seemed really low and i could not stick to it. Have you thought about increases your calories a bit, you will still lose weight. Also do you have treat days?
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I get 1200 per day too. I have lost 25 lbs already and have about 10-15 lbs more I would like to lose.

I have about the same amount (15) to lose at this point to reach the top end of my acceptable weight range. Which will be fine with me if I just get there! Is your loss continuing at a steady pace or has it slowed down? OH - your profile picture is adorable!
  • learntolovetheburn15
    learntolovetheburn15 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    PashCaline wrote: »
    Yeah!!! So motivated guys :D:D
    Quite good yesterday. I ate below 1300cal and was fine :). I walked a bit which made it easier to go over a bit 1200 :)
    Have a great day :)
    P.S. My husband gave me a surprise (???hu155jy84n0hx.jpeg
    never does ;)): Brioche

Is this from Aldi?
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    BeautyPi wrote: »
    I'm in slightly lower calorie intake at 800. I've got 25 pounds to go feel free to add me

Why so low? That's a lot - or I should say a little.
  • facai888
    facai888 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Checking in ........Day two for me ,still happy
  • LisaJSJ
    LisaJSJ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, I started on Monday. So far so good. I am trying to greatly reduce carbs - since that always seems to be my downfall. We can do this!
  • TammyKnizek
    TammyKnizek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am doing 1200 calories 6 days a week, but my doctor says to lose weight properly that I need to do 2000 calories on my cheat day to keep my body from thinking it needs to store and stop burning calories. It was hard at first, but I am 45days in and most days I do my goal or less. Some days are worse than others and I need a little extra. My advice is to do what works for you and try your best to hit your goal daily, but NEVER get upset with yourself for trying hard and not quite making it. I am always looking for accountability partners so you can add me if ya like. I am in this to lose a lot more weight than you though. I started with 82lbs to lose. I have lost 12 so far, and like I said I am 45 days in. It isn't the fastest way, but it is the healthiest.
  • PashCaline
    PashCaline Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The brioche is from Aldi :)
  • PashCaline
    Options
    I am around the 1400 calorie mark atm and did try 1200 calories but it seemed really low and i could not stick to it. Have you thought about increases your calories a bit, you will still lose weight. Also do you have treat days?
    I have to say I eat my exercises so I'm ok to go up to 1400cal :)
  • PashCaline
    Options
    facai888 wrote: »
    Checking in ........Day two for me ,still happy

So far so good everybody :)
    I go drink lots of teas and coffees ;)

• PashCaline
    Options
    Myfitnesspal says I should only have 1,200 calories a day but Bodybuilding.com says 1,322. I want to lose at least 15 lbs. Counting macros is so confusing! :s I was thinking, if MFP adds calories to your day just because you worked out, are you eating at a deficit? I think you would lose more sticking to 1,200 and just having the extra "exercise calories" left over as a bonus toward weight loss.
    I eat what I exercise otherwise I wouldn't be able to stick to it :) I don't want to starve the body too much too
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    wayne206 wrote: »
    I'm almost 65yr old. male. 9/2015 weighed 221. joined mfp. weighed 192 at Thanksgiving. I blew it. Holidays. I'm struggling to stay below 200 since. Went to Doc yesturday. 196lbs. I have to count carbs now. That's a little complicated.
    I'm about the same weight wise! I've been yo yoing the same 10 pounds under 200 for over a month! Just can't get to 189 for anything. I'm a type 2 diabetic and count carbs. Did he give you guidelines for how many to eat for snack and meals? I started with 45g of carbs or less per meal. It's a lot of choosing what you really want. The bun or a few fries? Bread or the pasta? You'll get there! Let me know if you have any questions!
  • bjgallina
    bjgallina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here I go again...down 2 pounds, up 3. Down 3, up 4...gotta do this!! I'm not getting any younger. Trying the 1200 a day!
  • PashCaline
    Options
    I try to work out how to reply to posts. And the rest lol
  • PashCaline
    Options
    mickey2942 wrote: »
    Time to get serious and commit. I am a diet drop out. I dabble a bit, give up, back and forth...it just seems to take so much commitment to change. I slide back to my lazy, wanna eat pasta and ice cream self. And lay on the sofa every night.

The day of reckoning has come. Even the "fat' clothes don't fit. Gasp! How did 20 pounds sneak up and get on my hips?!

Sigh. Change must occur. And it starts today.

I do better with a set plan and dedicated exercise schedule. I am better off with no cooking. And staying away from carbs. I am going to weigh and measure food, because that is my downfall.

At least I have a goal, 40 pounds by October. We are going on a vacation then. I will be happy with 20 though.

No more excuses. No more delays. This is it.
    Be kind to yourself :smile:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @shinycrazy I wonder if your endocrinologist would okay you going lower on carbs? Mine says type II diabetics should ideally keep carbs per day under 80g, preferably around 50g per day for average sized women, a little higher for taller women and men. It takes more energy to burn a protein calorie than a carb calorie ("thermic effect"). So if you eat the same calories with more protein and fewer carbs it might work better for you. Only thing is you really have to watch your blood sugars when you go on a lower carb diet and may need to cut back on diabetic meds...all under the watchful eye of your physician, of course.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    @shinycrazy I wonder if your endocrinologist would okay you going lower on carbs? Mine says type II diabetics should ideally keep carbs per day under 80g, preferably around 50g per day for average sized women, a little higher for taller women and men. It takes more energy to burn a protein calorie than a carb calorie ("thermic effect"). So if you eat the same calories with more protein and fewer carbs it might work better for you. Only thing is you really have to watch your blood sugars when you go on a lower carb diet and may need to cut back on diabetic meds...all under the watchful eye of your physician, of course.

Thanks for the insight. I've lost 110lbs so far! I can't live with carbs that low personally. I just need to tighten up my indulgences of late. I live by IIFYM (if it fits your macros ). I do that on about 133g of carbs a day.