May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    My husband suggested I put an orthotic in my shoes. And whaddya know, it helps.

There are 3 tests for posterior tibial tendonitis, I'm negative on all 3. I guess it still could be. But I'm incline to think that's not it. I suppose if I'm not better by the 15th-ish I'll visit a new doc. That's 3 full weeks from the half, when it became a problem.

Glad to be able to do something now. I spent the last 2 hours tromping back and forth up and down the back yard to the ravine dumping brush and large cedar logs. Hotness.

So maybe I'll even be able to run this weekend with this insert.

Did the trick for me - I have my fingers crossed for you!!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I've broken 8 2 times before. LR last week was 8.44, so 9 isn't a really big jump. with the plan I'm following, I'm being careful to tailor my runs to meet the rime assignment from the plan, with keeping the mileage so that my LR is below 35% of the weekly miles. Next week is a cut beck week, then a BIG Jump the next week, going by the plan. I'll be scoping out that mileage next week when I plan for the following week. Personal goal is to get a 10-12 mile run in within the next 3-4 weeks, and see how that lines up with the plan....Using a strava plan as a guideline.

That all make sense?
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    5/01: 6 miles, easy
    5/02: 6 miles, easy
    5/03: Off, rest day + strength training
    5/04: 5 miles, easy
    5/05: Off, rest day
    5/06: 6 miles, tempo
    5/07: 5 miles, easy
    5/08: 10 miles, long and slow
    5/09: Off, rest day + core
    5/10: 7 miles, easy
    Total: 45 miles

Easy, rainy 7 miles this afternoon. So many flowers blooming now! It’s like new scents every block; I sure love spring :3

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    07/21 - Esprit de She 5K
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Got in lots of biking earlier, so just went for a shorter 6 mile run this evening before sunset. Keeping my pace/heart rate in relatively comfortable zones for at least 2 more weeks (per post-marathon recovery guidelines), but glad I'm able to resume my normal mileage this week.

Just went 11/25 on the quiz as I spend a similar amount of time biking/swimming/lifting and nearly equally obsess over those activities.

5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume, got a BQ)
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 15 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles

Total: 53 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 127 miles

Next Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Chicago Marathon - October
    Ironman Florida - November

@ddmom0811 - It is definitely taking me a while to get used to the Florida weather this week as I've run when the sun has been out the past 2 days and have come home soaked, despite the humidity being slightly below seasonal norms. Luckily, I'm returning back north Monday.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - even though everything I wear on race day is something I've tried out several times before, I always seem to end up with chafing in areas that never chafed before!

05/04 - 2.6
    05/10 - 3.0 (35 minute run put me at 2.98, restarted my watch and ran an extra 15 sec to get to 3.0, haha :wink:)

Didn't get to post yesterday, but did an easy 3 miles in the morning. It was not raining when I left my apartment, and then decided to rain hard for 5 minutes, then sprinkled for the rest of my 35 minute run. Figured at that point I was already soaked, but not miserable so I'd just continue. Wore a new sparkle skirt I had gotten and it did well in the rain :smile:
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sorry I'm being a ghost. I'll return soon. Legs are currently at 80%. 26mi downhill killed my legs.

5/10 - Rest. Day 3 post marathon. Feel good enough to run. But I'm still waiting. So I did loads of pull ups and dips today instead. Powerlifting tomorrow (deads). I will prob run within a few days. Likely won't hit the 185mi month goal. But idc. I got a 50k coming up on June 4th. Going to try to get a couple long runs in before then with mostly glacial paced easy runs.

18 on the running quiz lol.

@MobyCarp @Ohhim Ya. It was killer. I've done 1,300ft descent before, but this was on another level. Felt like a road marathon + 10,000 squats. I could barely walk for days.

@WhatMeRunning Thanks man! I wasn't really then. But I am now! Won't be much longer!

@Stoshew71 Thanks! Slowest, but most painful marathon!

5/1 - Rest
    5/2 - 3.1 (6:52/mi)
    5/3 - Rest
    5/4 - 6.5 (7:18/mi)
    5/5 - 5.0 (8:07/mi)
    5/6 - Rest
    5/7 - 26.2 (9:29/mi)
    5/8 - Rest
    5/9 - Rest
    5/10 - Rest

May total: 40.8 / 185mi
  • 19MotherRunner80
    19MotherRunner80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Another day another 5... :)

exercise.png

I am suffering from post race blues...there's only one fix...I need to sign up for another race!! :)
  • Anabbee
    Anabbee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So I've been struggling with a cold for almost 2 weeks, and this Saturday is my walking half marathon. I'm taking it pretty easy this week.

May 1 No run
    May 2 3km run
    May 3 Sick! Cold!
    May 4 Sick! rest!
    May 5 2km
    May 6 Hill walk...small amount of running
    May 7 5km!!!
    May 8 rest
    May 9 blah, still sick with a cold etc
    May 10 Still recovering from a cold. 4km walk
    May 11 2.5 km run

Total: Run 12.5km/ 50 km
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Lots of great race reports from the weekend! I loved reading them all.

@skippygirlsmom congrats to you and Skip!! You both kicked kitten!

@MLS1582 I think you had a great time at your race and I'm shocked you were last with that pace!

@ROBOTFOOD , holy crap what a descent! My quads hurt just reading your post

@MNLittleFinn , great job by you and your mom, way to go!

@louubelle16, your race report reminded me of the one by @instantmartian, and I'll tell you the same thing. All that adversity you had to deal with in your race and you not only finished, you did great! Yeah, it sucked in the moment, but I hope you look back on it with pride for what you accomplished and how you persevered.

@_nikkiwolf_ beating your goal by nearly 13 minutes?!?!?! wow!! Great race, and report!

I know I'm missing some other racers out there and I apologize. There were 250 posts to go through this morning as I waited for my client and I just can't recall everything I read.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Good article on staying active during recovery from injury:

Forget rest – many doctors are now promoting activity to help recover from an injury
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 It was killer! And Whoa! That trail in you're pics looks awesome! Good run!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    OH, and @EvgeniZyntx - Some time back you posted a graph from the Health tab on your sporttracks.mobi page. Thanks for doing that, I am LOVING that app! I have been tweaking future planned runs and comparing the estimated results on that health tab. It is eye opening!

Great, glad it was helpful!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Love your run. With added beers and beautiful scenery! What's not to love?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    On the days I'm not running, I walk.

I run 4 days a week (Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun).

I walk around 6 km before work Monday and Wednesday, and a longer walk Friday.

And every day I walk to work, walk half an hour at lunch, and walk home from work, and on running days I also walk to the shops a couple of times.

I also do Body Balance on Friday (yoga/pilates/tai chi thingy), and bodyweight exercises of some sort every day.

I may be slightly in love with fitness. :)
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Just under 4 miles on Monday night at Club. It was really tough after not running for a month, but I did it! :smile:

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Running fewer miles the week of a race is tough, but necessary. And I am totally bummed that I can't do my 38 Mile Night Fun Run on June 4.... I forgot that it was my son's graduation that day. I felt like crap because I debated long and hard about asking him if he would mind me not being there. :/ Anyway, I am going to swap that race out for another 50k in Ohio in July... that will still give me three 50ks and a couple of HMs to get ready for October... but still, I can't believe I was seriously thinking about skipping his graduation for a race....
    Well, don't beat yourself up on it. You didn't ask him and you will be there. We all have those moments. If you had chosen the race you would feel so guilty the whole time it wouldn't be a "fun run". It would be a "guilt run". :wink:

5/1 - 35 mile cycling
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles - intervals, sort of.
    5/5 - 25 miles cycling in a brutal wind
    5/6 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/7 - 34 miles cycling
    5/8 - 36 miles cycling
    5/9 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/10 - 5 miles - fartleks
    5/11 - no running, hoping to go cycling after work. :)

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim - Your new avatar is hysterical! :lol:

@7lenny7 - I think you found the perfect running spot. :smile:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5/1-4.12 miles
    5/2- Rest
    5/3- 5.01 miles
    5/4- 3.12 miles
    5/5- 5.1
    5/6- rest
    5/7- 8.44
    4/8-3.11
    4/9-REST much needed REST
    4/10- 5.1
    4/11-4.1

Total: 38.09/100

Run notes: Today's assignment was Rest, or 30-45 minutes of cross-training or easy run. I opted for the run. Really wasn't feeling it this morning. First 3 miles were all positive splits at 10:41, 10:45 and 10:47. Finally, for mile 4, I was feeling more awake and ran a negative split at 10:18. Left knee and right foot both felt good for the run. I tried using a stretchy knee support I have today, and it really helped my knee.

Tomorrow's run is 50m-1h Progression and the assignment says to run easy for most of the, then kick it up to HM pace or faster.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim - Your new avatar is hysterical! :lol:
    LOL - it is. Love it!