May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift glad to see you're out of your slump! I remember those grad student days. They are hard to shake. Great job!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

So, I guess that is why. Truth be told, it's just a fun event and actually many half regulars from the area claim it as their favorite. I suppose because the theme is unique, but in my opinion the distinctive thing about this event is the post-race food. The event is hosted at the church in this little town and the people put on a potluck of sorts, and a lot of businesses also bring in their food. So you have everything from homemade chili, soups, noodles, etc. along with Subway, Chik-Fil-A and what I can only assume is a local Mexican restaurant had a spread where you could make just about whatever suits your fancy from tacos, burritos, nachos, etc with all of the normal various fillings and wrappers offered. You can actually eat at the end of this one.

A good post-run spread is KEY! That sounds amazing. Best I've ever seen was at the Caesar Rodney HM I did in April. Hot soup, pies and danishes, coffee, PIZZA! I hate when it's just a banana and a granola bar or something. I'd just about die for a burrito at the end of a run.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I love the cow run! @stoshew71 good question the running with the bulls, there is one too that is running with the goats, not a goat in sight LOL

Love the idea of the snot rocket race LOL

Great pictures @MNlittlefinn
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Holy kitten, I read all the new posts here yesterday but forgot to brag about my 10 km run.

You guys so totally rock.

1 May – 16.1 km Distance PB
    3 May – 8.1 km
    5 May – 10.1 km
    7 May – 5 km parkrun PB by 48 seconds! 27:47
    8 May – 8.4 km Mother’s Day Classic
    10 May – 10 km
    12 May – 10.1 km
    13 May – 7 km

Total: 74.8 km (46 miles)
    Goal: 150 km (93 miles)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I forgot the link to the site I used. It will https://www.madewithsisu.com/designs and will sync with either Strava or Runkeeper.

Awesome. Thanks heaps for that. Shared everywhere. :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    May Goal: Run just a scootch more than last month.
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

@HonuNui I read that as Scotch. Always just a bit more. Please
    I am more comfortable in these... I can roll them up and put them in my pocket.
    @PoppetsMaster I thought my friend Andrea from last weekends 8km race had shoes that were worn out - the Push off point on the Toe was worn right through to the Middle layer. Yours are just destroyed. :)
    I really thought, after that horrible half on Sunday, that I was done with running ****. I honestly have not hated anything more in my life.

But, today I bribed myself with some new shorts and a new playlist to drag my butt out for a little recovery 3-miler. I convinced myself that, if I ran my favourite route, the one I used to run over and over and over again when I first started running (because I had just moved here and was obsessed with how beautiful it was there) *** I even sat down half way through my run and just listened to the river and the water falling and watched the sunset. It was like something out of a cheesy film :tongue:

*** I think I will also keep on hiding the running watch for a bit and just get back to running for fun. I have a couple of months before I need to start training again (thank goodness).

Upcoming races:
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon

@louubelle16 I hope your favorite Route and not concentrating on Pace allows you to get the Love back.
    My GPS watch suffered a catastrophic failure when I tripped and fell last fall.
    Haven't replaced it - I just use a plain old wrist watch with a stopwatch function.
    I don't really follow a structured Training plan for HM's anymore I just make sure I get in a few long runs the month before and taper out the week before. Sounds stupid and un-committed but I am having fun.
    I run by feel/exertion level and I just look at my Net time not worrying about pace. All though I admit that I was pretty pumped when I realized I had a PB Pace of 5:34/km at my last event. But in reality I was just looking for a sub 48 minute time - goal was 46 minute time so to be 44:25 was Bonus. I am more relaxed and having more fun. But then I never have been a big numbers guy. Probably because I am constantly " in the numbers at work " there for try to escape them at home.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    9 km run tonight at a very slow pace after yesterdays Hill Climb and Swim Club at noon today, so my legs were feeling heavy right from the first step. Was aiming for 10 km but got home late from work and had to squeeze the run in before a family event so I turned early to cut it just a tad short-grumble grumble.

Next Event
    DHT 10 km Press Run May 28 Grande Prairie AB.
    Heritage Run HM June 12 Peace River AB ( flat and fast 5 meters of elevation change 2.5 up/2.5 down )
    July NADA
    August NADA - missed Emperors Challenge Mountain HM sold out super fast. Should have stayed up until 1:00 am when it opened because at 7:00 am it was done. Might try to volunteer for it and get a Volunteer Entry for next year.

05/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km
    05/01 – 10.0 Km – 10.0 - 130 km
    05/05 – 14.0 Km – 24.0 - 116 km
    05/08 – 8.0 Km – 32.0 - 108 km
    05/11 – 11.0 Km – 43.0 - 97 km
    05/12 – 9.0 Km – 52.0 - 88 km – YTD 566.8 km

exercise.png
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    May Goal: Run just a scootch more than last month...

5/1 deep mucking of the chicken coop and environs
    5/2 4.0
    5/3 life day
    5/4 7.54
    5/5 snorkel 3.5hours
    5/6 3.21
    5/7 4.05
    5/8 rest
    5/9 4.05
    5/10 meh
    5/11 4.54
    5/12 3.26

Total 30.65
    lol @juliet3455

Upcoming races:
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Awesome photos, how great that your entire family was out there!

@7lenny7 I would freak out if I couldn't find the shoes I'd planned to take for a race. I was already stressed when I couldn't find my fuel belt right away... At least now you know your son thinks your running shoes look cool B)

@louubelle16 Your recovery fun sounds lovely. I'm really glad you are not letting one horrible run keeping you from having hundreds of good ones in the future!

• zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    05/03 4.1 miles
    05/05 6.6 miles
    05/07 3.1 miles
    05/08 10.5 miles
    05/11 3.1 miles
    05/12 6.6 miles Nice gentle run with a mini sprint at the end just to stretch out the legs

exercise.png

03/20 Canterbury Riverside 10k 1:16:12
    05/29 Edinburgh Half marathon
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - love the idea of hanging it as a poster and no one knowing it's just another running addiction.
    @MNLittleFinn - love the pics too. I thought it was a tatoo on your head also!
    @7lenny7 - thanks for sharing the cool website. Too funny about your son -- the project and shoes. Tomorrow is the Marathon, right? I still can't believe you have only been running 1 year. Good luck this weekend! Afterwards, no BB or competing against kids. Only those beers you like. I can't remember the name, as I avoid beer and just go for wine.

I will be cycling tomorrow morning as usual but then I have to chaperone prom. UGH. And it's a really long time - be there from 5:30-midnight or later - and it's at a Disney hotel so really far from home. Oh well, one time a year, I can do it. 4 more days with my seniors! (yeah, teachers are as happy as kids are). Then another couple weeks with the 10-11th graders. And then SUMMER! (which goes by in the blink of an eye, but that's okay).

5/1 - 35 mile cycling
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles - intervals, sort of.
    5/5 - 25 miles cycling in a brutal wind
    5/6 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/7 - 34 miles cycling
    5/8 - 36 miles cycling
    5/9 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/10 - 5 miles - fartleks
    5/11 - 25 miles cycling
    5/12 - 5 miles
    5/13 - 4 miles - very slow miles this morning.

exercise.png
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 .... any of my kids take my running shoes, they are on trial fighting for their lives to avoid the needle...
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 2 mi
    5/4 - 2 mi
    5/7 - 2 mi
    5/8 - 2 mi
    5/9 - 2 mi
    5/13- 2mi

12 down 18 to go.

Week 5 Day 3 20 minutes nonstop... DONE!!!!!

I can finally move on. :smile:

I have not had a chance to catch up on all the posts so I will try to do that today.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    is it weird that I'm apprehensive about running a route because part of it includes a short out and back I do for weekly runs, and I think I have a psychological barrier about keeping going instead of turning the other direction to continue the run? I have another route that's the same distance, with more elevation, and that one doesn't give me the same apprehension.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn.... if it was me, I would do the route with more elevation. When I head out on my runs, I usually have a general idea on how far I want to run, but the route and direction are always a last minute decision based on how I feel psychologically about each route... Even when I travel to some different trails I have to wait until I get there to choose what sections I feel like running...