May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    is it weird that I'm apprehensive about running a route because part of it includes a short out and back I do for weekly runs, and I think I have a psychological barrier about keeping going instead of turning the other direction to continue the run? I have another route that's the same distance, with more elevation, and that one doesn't give me the same apprehension.
    Not so much. My easy 4 mile route turned into my easy 5 mile route by adding an out and back that was a half mile from the normal turnaround point on the shorter route. I took that same route and made it my 6 mile easy route by adding another out and back starting at a worrisome point where I exit the trail to go the last 1/3 mile home. I was worried that after going nearly 5 miles I would be too tempted to bail and just go home. I have had a few where I felt a bit tired as I approached 5 miles but so far I have always just run right past that point and kept on. So in practice it seems to be less of an issue than in my mind before the run.
  • BadMustache
    BadMustache Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    I guess my Strava data only goes back to 5/18/2015. :smile: But I was able to get all of the runs in Strava since then!

wo6cbq8kgcdt.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Not so much. My easy 4 mile route turned into my easy 5 mile route by adding an out and back that was a half mile from the normal turnaround point on the shorter route. I took that same route and made it my 6 mile easy route by adding another out and back starting at a worrisome point where I exit the trail to go the last 1/3 mile home. I was worried that after going nearly 5 miles I would be too tempted to bail and just go home. I have had a few where I felt a bit tired as I approached 5 miles but so far I have always just run right past that point and kept on. So in practice it seems to be less of an issue than in my mind before the run.

Cool. I think my issue was that The turn toward home is at like mile 3.25 of what is normally a 5 miler, and the run tomorrow is 9-10 miles....LOL I think this might be a good time to train myself to not worry about "knowing" where I'm supposed to be and just running. Other option would be to just put the out and back part at the end, like miles 5.5-8....
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - That is so cool. Makes me think that I have to get on Strava or Runkeeper. Both are blocked here at work, which is usually where I sync my stuff because I like to remain as electronic free as possible at home. right now I am only using Garmin Connect.
    @MNLittleFinn -Love the pics from the race. Your mom is so young looking!
    @HonuNui -Every time I see your running goal of running a "scoothch" more than last month, I think it says "scotch". Shows where my mind resides...
    @PoppetsMaster -I thought my shoe collection was bad!

And speaking of shoes, is anyone a loyal Kayano wearer? I have been wearing these shoes for years. I have probably ran through about 20 pairs of them. Since I always buy my shoes on closeout, I just now busted out a pair of the Kayano 21s. It has been about three weeks, and every since I started wearing them, I have been having issues with my achilles (in both feet). I am not sure if this is just a coincidence or if it is due to a change in shoe design. I did a Google search to see the updates. They appear to be minimal, but there were some changes made to the heal construction. In the 20s (and I'm assuming older models), the outer heel support goes across the achilles tendon, but in the 21 it follows the line of the tendon. I am not really sure what this even means, or if that could have any impact. The site I found also says that they changes the placement of the rubber lugs on the heel for more cushioning and that this change might make the heel strike feel different. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I am not overly knowledgeable about shoe construction. I am more of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of person, but I am wondering if maybe a change of shoe is finally in order.
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Doing a half marathon on Sunday so don't think I'll have too much trouble hitting this month's goal.

1/5: 8.1 Miles
    3/5: 5.0 Miles
    5/5: 6.0 Miles
    7/5: 9.0 Miles
    10/5: 5.0 Miles
    12/4: 3.8 Miles
    13/4: 3.7 Miles

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @lporter229 Thanks!
    @Mathsrunner good luck this weekend!
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options

Cool. I think my issue was that The turn toward home is at like mile 3.25 of what is normally a 5 miler, and the run tomorrow is 9-10 miles....LOL I think this might be a good time to train myself to not worry about "knowing" where I'm supposed to be and just running. Other option would be to just put the out and back part at the end, like miles 5.5-8....
    The only routes that have given me trouble are long run routes where on the last couple miles or so as I am nearing home I pass a convenient shortcut home that I am familiar with. So for example a little over a week ago I was really struggling on a 10 mile midweek long run and just a little bit past the 8 mile mark the route passed by a trailhead that is a mile from my house. Since I was struggling and feeling like I was losing the battle to continue on I actually stopped running to walk that 1 mile trail home. After realizing that was a mistake I ran .8 miles on that trail back home to make it an even 9 miles total for the day instead of the planned 10 miles. I bailed once in that same spot last year on my hilly 12 mile sufferfest hill training route when I was doing 3 long runs/week and was just plain tired that particular day (the heat did not help). So those kinds of things you have to watch for. This is why I really like out and backs for long runs when I know they will be challenging so that as long as I push myself to the turnaround I have no choice but to go the full distance no matter what.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This is why I really like out and backs for long runs when I know they will be challenging so that as long as I push myself to the turnaround I have no choice but to go the full distance no matter what.
    Exactly! When I am doing my long trail runs, I have to do it this way, because anything that loops me back close to my car makes it tempting to quit towards the end.... but when I run 13 miles away from my car at that point I know that for better or worse, I'm all in... lol

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

May

1-0
    2-stretching
    3-stretching-knee is still sore
    4-yoga tonight/foam rolled
    5-nothing yet
    6-nothing
    7-13.36mi great race. super hard for me. but I did it and completed it. and now I've finished a half marathon race
    8-nothing
    9-nothing
    10-nothing-recovery takes too long
    11-yoga
    12-nothing
    13-yoga

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17

May 7-Door County Half Marathon 2:51:11
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual
    June 11-Rock n Sole 1/4 Marathon?
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half (got my gear-good stuff)
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Here's the route with the out and back part that is my little hiccup: https://www.strava.com/routes/4956723 the part down to the peninsula is my normal 4 mile run, it,s turning left, instead of right, to go home that got me. LOL a psychological thing right near the beginning of the run.

Here's the other route: https://www.strava.com/routes/4974945
    Similar route, just has the out and back on the east side as well, instead of the one down to the point at the beginning
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I just started Strava this year - in January I think. I was hoping I could import the Endomondo routes I've been using since 2014 but it didn't seem to be an option. Although I could maybe export from Endomondo into one of the other apps then from there to Strava. Yeah, get a life, I know.

This is a combination of my runs and cycling. If it was just the runs 90% of them are all that weird little sideways ET -head looking thing (my neighborhood).

5j0lkhgxopvn.png
  • 19MotherRunner80
    19MotherRunner80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

hiked 5.9miles yesterday...is it cheating to add that? lol
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
    Damn Finn.... you are so far north you must be at least 25% Canuck....
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 4m
    5/3 - 5m
    5/4 - 6m
    5/5 - rest
    5/6 - 5m
    5/7 - 10m
    5/8 - rest
    5/9 - 3.8m
    5/10 - 3.5m

5/11 - 7m
    5/12 - rest
    5/13 - 3m

Distance to date: 47.3m
    Goal: 126m (37.5% complete)

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Damn Finn.... you are so far north you must be at least 25% Canuck....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....I'm closer to Canada than most major cities in the state.
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I just started Strava this year
    I signed up for it a while ago, but it has WAY too much information for me and I find it to be very confusing... I just stick with Garmin Connect. When I got on Strava to see this poster thing, I think it was the first time I had logged-in in about a year...

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    No running goal is too small.

From 10 steps to an Ironman

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/death-defying-runner-finishes-ironman
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    3 miles this morning at 6:30. I never run that early! LOL It was a nice 50 degrees. Glad I got that done instead of fighting the gnats in my face tonight.

My Strava only goes back to Feb 19. I think I can force it to manually sync further back. But here's what I got so far. Also, something is off because my longest mileage should be 7 miles. Hmmm..

nynoxikc6gpa.png