Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Essential Oils

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    Speaking about transdermal absorption, I was once prescribed hormones via shooting (thank you _Waffle_) them into my coochie because they were more effectively delivered to the bloodstream than going through the whole digestive system. I think that using any of the... "insertable" drug bullets (enemas?) are the same as trans-dermal delivery, just a faster route to the bloodstream than the external skin.
    Still doesn't mean that rubbing peppermint oil on your stomach is going to lead to whatever "active ingredient supposed to relieve IBS symptoms" pass through the skin, fat, interabdominal space, and target the colon.

I just don't see that happening.

Ever.
    But what about simply relaxing the muscle? I could be wrong, but I thought that could have implications for how severe some people may perceive abdominal discomfort from IBS. That's just simply the oil being absorbed into the skin (not any further).
    I'm saying that because (to my knowledge) that is a reasonable explanation for how rubbing essential oils on the skin can help certain health issues like IBS.

I would think if it were simply about muscle relaxation then the oil has nothing to do with it- the act of massage is what would be beneficial there. Save yourself about a bazillion dollars per ounce and buy a cheap bottle of corn oil to rub on your tummy.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited May 2016
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Speaking about transdermal absorption, I was once prescribed hormones via shooting (thank you _Waffle_) them into my coochie because they were more effectively delivered to the bloodstream than going through the whole digestive system. I think that using any of the... "insertable" drug bullets (enemas?) are the same as trans-dermal delivery, just a faster route to the bloodstream than the external skin.
    Still doesn't mean that rubbing peppermint oil on your stomach is going to lead to whatever "active ingredient supposed to relieve IBS symptoms" pass through the skin, fat, interabdominal space, and target the colon.

I just don't see that happening.

Ever.
    But what about simply relaxing the muscle? I could be wrong, but I thought that could have implications for how severe some people may perceive abdominal discomfort from IBS. That's just simply the oil being absorbed into the skin (not any further).
    I'm saying that because (to my knowledge) that is a reasonable explanation for how rubbing essential oils on the skin can help certain health issues like IBS.

I would think if it were simply about muscle relaxation then the oil has nothing to do with it- the act of massage is what would be beneficial there. Save yourself about a bazillion dollars per ounce and buy a cheap bottle of corn oil to rub on your tummy.

Or this, seeing as how it was for the digestive tract : mj60vou41v47.jpg

<3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    Anecdotal, I've always found peppermint tea good for cramps, but I'd rather not have it up my rear.

Coffee enema or GTFO!

Amateur. Coffee enema with peppermint oil.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I think lots of people miss the forest for the trees. If the macros aren't taken care of then the micros don't matter. Here are the macros, IMO:
    - Eat less than you burn.
    - Get enough protein and fat.
    - Get your ten thousand steps daily and work up a sweat every other day.

I use Argan oil in my hair, vitamin E oil for my nails and I take a herbal supplement to help with my hot flashes (I suspect placebo but since I won't consider other remedies I'll take the feel-good herb).

http://www.scibabe.com/the-weekly-woo-homeopathy-or-theres-no-medicine-in-my-medicine/
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Used Eucalyptus oil in my sauna today - can't live without it.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Anecdotal, I've always found peppermint tea good for cramps, but I'd rather not have it up my rear.

Coffee enema or GTFO!

Coffee up there? Why would you do that??? We talked about absorbing through the skin. Do you get caffeine that way? What is the optimal temperature for the coffee? Do keto people put a stick of butter in it?

And why do I wonder these things? Thanks Obama.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I took this out of the book I have on essential oils. Not sure if the rest of you believe it, but I think it could easily explain what happened the particular instance when I rubbed an excessive amount of oil on my skin. Notice the first section at the top and what it says about putting more. xigwhzeipjyr.jpg

I have a book that says a guy got bit by a spider and then became a red bodystocking wearing superhero with many spidey senses and powers.

I saw the movie!!!!!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I took this out of the book I have on essential oils. Not sure if the rest of you believe it, but I think it could easily explain what happened the particular instance when I rubbed an excessive amount of oil on my skin. Notice the first section at the top and what it says about putting more. xigwhzeipjyr.jpg

I have a book that says a guy got bit by a spider and then became a red bodystocking wearing superhero with many spidey senses and powers.

I saw the movie!!!!!

You mean the documentary?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I saw the movie!!!!!

You mean the documentary?

Right. I get those two confused all the time.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    100df wrote: »

Coffee enema or GTFO!

Coffee up there? Why would you do that??? We talked about absorbing through the skin. Do you get caffeine that way? What is the optimal temperature for the coffee? Do keto people put a stick of butter in it?

The bolded part especially made me lol!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    They smell good and lavender and peppermint can help somewhat ease my migraines. Beyond that, I use real medicine.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    rml_16 wrote: »
    They smell good and lavender and peppermint can help somewhat ease my migraines. Beyond that, I use real medicine.

I will also note that some smells just make me happy because they remind me of good memories. And that can have a huge impact on my mood.

Does anyone have an essential oil that smells like fresh cut wood? My dad does carpentry in his spare time, so that smell always reminds me of working on projects together in the garage.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

I will also note that some smells just make me happy because they remind me of good memories. And that can have a huge impact on my mood.

Does anyone have an essential oil that smells like fresh cut wood? My dad does carpentry in his spare time, so that smell always reminds me of working on projects together in the garage.

Auddii, there is sandalwood, pine, hemlock, etc. They smell really nice and woodsy, but perhaps not exactly like your dad's projects. I have a bunch because I make my own soaps, bath bombs, and bath salts.

The only ones I use medicinally is tea tree oil for acne here and there (it works), I make my own thieves' oil salve (with oils that have proven antifungal/antimicrobial properties) and I keep a bag of lavender buds at work for if I"m getting too stressed and need to calm the heck down. Oh, and vitamin E on canker sores, and of course argan oil on my curly hair. I would avoid any multi-level marketing scheme for oils like the plague.

I find the PDR for Herbal Medicine to be an extremely helpful reference tool. http://www.amazon.com/PDR-Herbal-Medicines-Thomson-Healthcare/dp/1563636786
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    100df wrote: »

Coffee enema or GTFO!

ROFLMAO about the butter.

Here's an article with arguments for and against: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ask-the-science-based-pharmacist-what-are-the-benefits-of-coffee-enemas/
  • auddii

Auddii, there is sandalwood, pine, hemlock, etc. They smell really nice and woodsy, but perhaps not exactly like your dad's projects. I have a bunch because I make my own soaps, bath bombs, and bath salts.

The only ones I use medicinally is tea tree oil for acne here and there (it works), I make my own thieves' oil salve (with oils that have proven antifungal/antimicrobial properties) and I keep a bag of lavender buds at work for if I"m getting too stressed and need to calm the heck down. Oh, and vitamin E on canker sores, and of course argan oil on my curly hair. I would avoid any multi-level marketing scheme for oils like the plague.

I find the PDR for Herbal Medicine to be an extremely helpful reference tool. http://www.amazon.com/PDR-Herbal-Medicines-Thomson-Healthcare/dp/1563636786

Oh, and I should mention that I've long used amber paste as a perfume because I love the smell. Perhaps I should look into a combination amber/sandalwood.
  • French_Peasant

Coffee enema or GTFO!

...AND cayenne pepper if you REALLY want to cleanse and detox!
  • French_Peasant
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think lots of people miss the forest for the trees. If the macros aren't taken care of then the micros don't matter. Here are the macros, IMO:
    - Eat less than you burn.
    - Get enough protein and fat.
    - Get your ten thousand steps daily and work up a sweat every other day.

I use Argan oil in my hair, vitamin E oil for my nails and I take a herbal supplement to help with my hot flashes (I suspect placebo but since I won't consider other remedies I'll take the feel-good herb).

http://www.scibabe.com/the-weekly-woo-homeopathy-or-theres-no-medicine-in-my-medicine/

I think the only actual oil associated with homeopathy is snake oil at .01 ppb.
  • auddii

Oh, and I should mention that I've long used amber paste as a perfume because I love the smell. Perhaps I should look into a combination amber/sandalwood.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member

Coffee enema or GTFO!

Just reading this made my body cleanse and detox itself :o
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

Coffee enema or GTFO!

Just reading this made my body cleanse and detox itself :o

Yes, but what did you actually detox *from*? ;)