Never ending hatred towards Carbs in fitness community? China Study

Options
124»

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    I think this is another of the myth , well anecdotal evidence that I've seen with one of my friend on MFP was on 10-15% protein and rest was carbs and fats- he was not even lifting 5 days a week like me-lost weight fairly quickly and very little to negligible muscle loss.

So I don't think muscle loss due to less protein is a fact. According to what I've seen.

I'm starting to wonder if you're a troll? But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

1. As already stated, the China study proved absolutely nothing except that epidemiology can be used to demonstrate just about anything. What do you think about the China study's finding on wheat consumption? I bet the documentary you watched didn't mention that.
    2. In case you missed the 80's and 90's, everyone was told by the government and health "experts" that fat was evil and we should eat tons of carbs. During this time Americans gained weight faster then ever. More recent research has basically demonstrated that most of the stuff we were told in the 90's about fats and carbs was BS. So there is a big backlash against carbs now.
    3. And yes, refined carbs are probably responsible for a lot of people getting fat, but don't ask me for any studies to prove it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Hello,

I just don't get it- if calories are king -where is there a never ending hatred towards carbs ? I mean I understand about good carbs and bad carbs -but fats have similar categories as well- good and bad yet Carbs get a bad rep?

Even new threads where people don't lose weight for two weeks- some of the posted advice is regarding eat high protein vs carbs.

Didn't China study prove that nothing is wrong with carbs and they don't even affect health in an adverse manner?

What do you guys think about it? another nonsensical broscience or has weight to it?
    I'm vegetarian who eats no meat/seafood/eggs- so for me low carb diet is a big no regardless of what the outcome it.
    I think there's some confusion around low carb diets in this question.

I'm eating a low carb diet but do not agree ALL carbs are bad, I don't think anyone thinks that. Obviously carbs in broccoli and leafy greens are MUCH better than the carbs found in breads and pasta. Most low carbers go by NET carbs not total carbs, meaning if an avocado has 13g of carbs but 10 are fiber, it's only 3 net carbs. So I'll eat the entire avocado. Broccoli is high in fiber too and I eat a ton of broccoli. I hope that makes sense.

Bad carbs certainly affect me in a negative way, I don't know about you. When I eat too many BAD carbs I get headaches hours later (which I am battling with now from a cupcake I had last night) and am very bloated/gassy the next day. Sometimes I decide it's worth it and have a cheat meal, most days I do not.

I don't think it is obvious at all that the carbohydrates in broccoli and leafy greens are "MUCH butter" than the carbohydrates found in bread and pasta. Obviously the foods have different proportions of macro- and micro-nutrients, but the carbohydrates themselves? How are the carbohydrates in broccoli meaningfully different than the carbohydrates in grain?

isn't there different kind of carbs? simple and complex ? to which body responds in different way and one is better other isn't ?

There are different types of carbohydrates (I wouldn't say one is necessarily "better") than the other, but broccoli and bread are both examples of complex carbohydrates. So even if complex carbohydrates are "better," it wouldn't explain how the carbohydrates in broccoli are "MUCH butter" than the carbohydrates in bread.

Wait- I'm still in disbelief that -for example

Potato is same as sweet potato
    White rice vs brown rice

Why are the foods on the right called " muscle building" compared to the ones on left ?

If this is true I mean don't we end up in "IIFYM" terriroty.

potato.jpg

The sweet potato has slightly more fiber and a ton of extra vitamin A (that's what makes it orange). Otherwise, they're pretty similar in terms of nutrition.

Kill me now- i've been living my life wrong. What the frikking fudge.

What the heck is true on the internet. I'm so paranoid now- that i'm judging all your responses as well. DAMN

Every video touts about good carbs and bad carbs. Insulin response and muscle and all that blah

You don't have to trust any of us. That's the awesome thing about facts. You can look up the nutritional value of any food, compare it to others, and use those facts to decide.

:)

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Carb hate is the trend right now--I can wait.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hello,

I just don't get it- if calories are king -where is there a never ending hatred towards carbs ? I mean I understand about good carbs and bad carbs -but fats have similar categories as well- good and bad yet Carbs get a bad rep?

Even new threads where people don't lose weight for two weeks- some of the posted advice is regarding eat high protein vs carbs.

Didn't China study prove that nothing is wrong with carbs and they don't even affect health in an adverse manner?

What do you guys think about it? another nonsensical broscience or has weight to it?
    I'm vegetarian who eats no meat/seafood/eggs- so for me low carb diet is a big no regardless of what the outcome it.

I'm eating a low carb diet but do not agree ALL carbs are bad, I don't think anyone thinks that. Obviously carbs in broccoli and leafy greens are MUCH better than the carbs found in breads and pasta. Most low carbers go by NET carbs not total carbs, meaning if an avocado has 13g of carbs but 10 are fiber, it's only 3 net carbs. So I'll eat the entire avocado. Broccoli is high in fiber too and I eat a ton of broccoli. I hope that makes sense.

Bad carbs certainly affect me in a negative way, I don't know about you. When I eat too many BAD carbs I get headaches hours later (which I am battling with now from a cupcake I had last night) and am very bloated/gassy the next day. Sometimes I decide it's worth it and have a cheat meal, most days I do not.

I don't think it is obvious at all that the carbohydrates in broccoli and leafy greens are "MUCH butter" than the carbohydrates found in bread and pasta. Obviously the foods have different proportions of macro- and micro-nutrients, but the carbohydrates themselves? How are the carbohydrates in broccoli meaningfully different than the carbohydrates in grain?

isn't there different kind of carbs? simple and complex ? to which body responds in different way and one is better other isn't ?

There are different types of carbohydrates (I wouldn't say one is necessarily "better") than the other, but broccoli and bread are both examples of complex carbohydrates. So even if complex carbohydrates are "better," it wouldn't explain how the carbohydrates in broccoli are "MUCH butter" than the carbohydrates in bread.

White rice vs brown rice

Why are the foods on the right called " muscle building" compared to the ones on left ?

potato.jpg

The sweet potato has slightly more fiber and a ton of extra vitamin A (that's what makes it orange). Otherwise, they're pretty similar in terms of nutrition.

What the heck is true on the internet. I'm so paranoid now- that i'm judging all your responses as well. DAMN

Every video touts about good carbs and bad carbs. Insulin response and muscle and all that blah

It really messes with your mind doesn't it :p I've come to the point where I eat whatever the heck I want, keep a lot of variety in my diet, pay attention to portion sizes, stay within my calorie goals and then call it good lol.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Hello,

White rice vs brown rice

potato.jpg

It really messes with your mind doesn't it :p I've come to the point where I eat whatever the heck I want, keep a lot of variety in my diet, pay attention to portion sizes, stay within my calorie goals and then call it good lol.

I think this is the only reason I've lost weight so far because from day 1 I read everything and more I read more I got confused but one poster said something and it stuck with me. "Read everything but never ever get out of deficit if you want to lose weight" since then I haven't gotten smarter by reading but I've lost weight consistently because I stayed in deficit lol

Now that's what I recommend people too. I'm still learning but that rule is TOP
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I LOVE CARBS. High carb, low fat, unprocessed yums like rice and beans and fruits and veggies. Lots of muscle gain as a vegan here. Loving it. :smiley:

Low carb people are usually crabby and gain the weight back that they lose in an unhealthy way. High carbs from whole foods means happy cells in the body, higher energy to burn fat, and better health in general.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hello,

White rice vs brown rice

potato.jpg

I think this is the only reason I've lost weight so far because from day 1 I read everything and more I read more I got confused but one poster said something and it stuck with me. "Read everything but never ever get out of deficit if you want to lose weight" since then I haven't gotten smarter by reading but I've lost weight consistently because I stayed in deficit lol

Now that's what I recommend people too. I'm still learning but that rule is TOP

Why don't you have a read of (for example) Lyle McDonald, Eric Helms, Alan Aragon - you will learn far more and be far less confused.

These threads just seem to attract every piece of nonsense and weird beliefs bordering on zealotry.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If I cut out carbs I feel weak so I have to eat them but I make sure they are the 'good' carbs like brown rice and wholemeal stuff.
    I don't think they are bad for you unless it's in the form of cakes !

lol I was also under the assumption that "good" was actually good and "bad" was bad but I'm learning that good is only good under certain circumstances and bad is also good under certain circumstances lol

It's all so damn confusing. More in try to learn the more I have no idea! Haha
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    live2dream wrote: »
    I LOVE CARBS. High carb, low fat, unprocessed yums like rice and beans and fruits and veggies. Lots of muscle gain as a vegan here. Loving it. :smiley:

Low carb people are usually crabby and gain the weight back that they lose in an unhealthy way. High carbs from whole foods means happy cells in the body, higher energy to burn fat, and better health in general.

Nope, not true at all. Being low carb does not make me crabby. Nor have I gained weight. I have plenty of energy to workout and I'm in good health. To each their own. Just didn't want this incorrect blanket statement to go unnoticed.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    adrram wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Sohsen wrote: »
    Carb tolerance highly depends on your body type. Endomorphs like me don't do well with high carb content and tend to convert it to fat easily. Mesomorphs and ectomorphs both flourish on high carb intake.

Age is also a factor. The older we get, the worse our carb tolerance gets.

Carbohydrate is very very rarely converted to fat

Untrue. After carbohydrates are converted into glucose, any excess glucose that isn't burned is converted to glycogen and whatever isn't used by muscles and the liver is stored as fat.

glucose can be stored

Take a look at rates of DNL during carbohydrate overfeeding and you'll see that the contribution that de novo lipogenesis makes to total fat storage is quite small.

Excess carbohydrate can still make you fat by blunting fat oxidation, not so much by direct conversion from carbohydrate to fat.

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/6/707.long?view=long&pmid=11722948
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i love carbs... i love fats too... oh and that protein love it!
  • mitsimr
    mitsimr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This post has been very informative. Literally before I read this I was trying to post a question on why it seems half the community is low carb while the other half seems to get snarky when anyone mentions being on low carb. I am eating at mfps presets but was curious because I seen this subject alot. Reading all the different comments I feel confident I am doing what works and is sustainable for me.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I love carbs.. i eat a lot of carbs..it makes me very happy

i cannot even imagine being low carb the thought makes me feel hangry and sad
  • viren19890
    Options
    mitsimr wrote: »
    This post has been very informative. Literally before I read this I was trying to post a question on why it seems half the community is low carb while the other half seems to get snarky when anyone mentions being on low carb. I am eating at mfps presets but was curious because I seen this subject alot. Reading all the different comments I feel confident I am doing what works and is sustainable for me.

Yeah sometimes it's an enlightening experience. The more I read the more I realized how little I knew.

• viren19890
    Options
    I watched Adam ruins everything -Nutrition about multivitamins and all that.

That was helpful as well. I had my last serving of vitamins left and was planning to order some tonight but coincidentally came across that show lol -won't be ordering.

Now anyone here think that show is bogus and garbage? Ruining Adam for ruining everything else ? lol