• zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    05/03 4.1 miles
    05/05 6.6 miles
    05/07 3.1 miles
    05/08 10.5 miles
    05/11 3.1 miles
    05/12 6.6 miles Nice gentle run with a mini sprint at the end just to stretch out the legs
    05/15 9.6 miles Last long run ended up a bit short of planned mileage legs just didn't fancy it, now into tapering for my first half can't work out whether I'm nervous excited or both

exercise.png

05/29 Edinburgh Half marathon
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Way behind on the thread, just marking this as a catch-up and trying to get myself back in my groove.

May 1 - 17 km run.
    May 3 - Light parkour 2 km run.
    May 5 - 8 km slow & gym.
    May 6 - 7.5 km slow & yoga.
    May 7 - skipped bike ride.
    May 8 - 19.2 km mixed. 6 km hike.
    May 9 - Rest
    May 10 - 8.3 km tempo
    May 11-16 - Rest & lost runs. Zero point zero.

Total 62 km goal 120 km.

This week was supposed to be a recovery week with lower mileage - but not zero. Ugh. My training just crashed for the week and other things creeped in - travel, etc. Looking forward to a restart this week.

Hope you are all meeting your goals and having great races.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Would it be very crazy to do two 10k races in one weekend?

I just signed up and paid for a 10k on Saturday afternoon. On the way to work this morning I passed a poster advertising another 10k on Sunday - in the neighbouring village! I would have to decide pretty soon - that one starts in France, which would mean I'd have to visit a doctor and get a medical certificate before I can sign up. Which is sort of annoying, but unless I want to limit myself to races on the Swiss side of the border, I'll have to do that sooner or later anyway.
    Is it possible to actually *race* two 10k's on back to back days (to have two shots at a sub-60 time), or would trying to do the second one be a waste of money? Usually, I wouldn't have considered it, but I'm tempted by the fact that it's so close - less 5km away, so I wouldn't even need to take the car, I could just bike or run to the start line and back!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Ok so have question

I'm planning to follow Daniels plan and training for a half marathon.
    So everybody knows he has his easy, tempo and interval paces right?
    Now I want to do some hill training too. My questions is should I replace the interval workout with hill repeats?
    Can I replace it with hills completely or should I just do hill work and flat interval work every other week, alternating?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 - I know Daniels' paces, but I've never looked at the Daniels plan, so take this for what it's worth. Hills and flat intervals will work your legs differently. I've manage to train through 9 half marathons and 2 full marathons while doing very little in actual hill workouts, though I have run a lot of hills.

Assuming your target half has hills but isn't all hills, I like the idea of alternating weeks between hill repeats and flat intervals. On the weeks you have flat intervals, try to incorporate some hills into your easy runs. This is less important if you're preparing for a flat half marathon course, but running hills in general makes you stronger and won't hurt.

I don't think Daniels explicitly says this, but it's also nice to have some long runs on terrain that resembles your target race route topography. If the race is local, preview parts of the actual course. No surprises on race day is a Good Thing, particularly if there are some steep hills on the route.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5/1-4.12 miles
    5/2- Rest
    5/3- 5.01 miles
    5/4- 3.12 miles
    5/5- 5.1
    5/6- rest
    5/7- 8.44
    4/8-3.11
    4/9-REST much needed REST
    4/10- 5.1
    4/11-4.1
    5/12- 5.11
    5/13- Rest
    5/14- 10.02
    5/15- 4.1
    5/16- Rest
    5/17- 4.19

Total: 61.92/100.

Notes on today's run: Assignment was 30-45 minutes at E, first run of cutback week. Run felt great at a, now easy, 10:45. debating weather to go off plan and do a 3 mile run, instead of tomorrow's assignment of 30-45m of Cross Training.....got plenty of tie to think about it.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options

I just signed up and paid for a 10k on Saturday afternoon. On the way to work this morning I passed a poster advertising another 10k on Sunday - in the neighbouring village! I would have to decide pretty soon - that one starts in France, which would mean I'd have to visit a doctor and get a medical certificate before I can sign up. Which is sort of annoying, but unless I want to limit myself to races on the Swiss side of the border, I'll have to do that sooner or later anyway.
    Is it possible to actually *race* two 10k's on back to back days (to have two shots at a sub-60 time), or would trying to do the second one be a waste of money? Usually, I wouldn't have considered it, but I'm tempted by the fact that it's so close - less 5km away, so I wouldn't even need to take the car, I could just bike or run to the start line and back!

Sounds like you want to go for it! You know we are not the right group of people to ask. :wink:
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

Sounds like you want to go for it! You know we are not the right group of people to ask. :wink:

Yep - I agree! I would pick one to take nice and easy and enjoy the experience though - consider it a training run with a whole lot more atmosphere and swag. Otherwise, you may not be able to lower yourself onto a chair for a week. ;)
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @kimlight2: I have two Bengals that I (lovingly) refer to as "the furry terrors." About 98% of the time, there is a cat in my face whenever I try to do something, and about 50% of that time, said cat is getting itself into trouble. This morning, for instance, as I was getting my lunch together in the kitchen, the boy decided to jump up onto the windowsill above the sink to bat at my basil plant. In their defense, though, I decided on Bengals because I wanted cats that would be interactive and not aloof. I definitely got what I wished for!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    A very hot and humid run this morning. I guess I've been lucky we had such a nice spring but it's gone. At one point I thought it was sprinkling then realized the sweat from my head was dropping on my arms and legs. Much slower than I originally set out to go, but it's okay, still did it.

5/1 - 35 mile cycling
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles - intervals, sort of.
    5/5 - 25 miles cycling in a brutal wind
    5/6 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/7 - 34 miles cycling
    5/8 - 36 miles cycling
    5/9 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/10 - 5 miles - fartleks
    5/11 - 25 miles cycling
    5/12 - 5 miles
    5/13 - 4 miles
    5/14 - 34 miles cycling
    5/15 - 27 miles cycling
    5/16 - rest day
    5/17 - 4.5 miles + strength training

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ you could definitely run both but I would only *race* the first one. Treat the second one easy.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    May 03      4.2T     4.2  
    May 04      4.2T     8.4 
    May 06      5.1     13.5 
    May 07      8.2     21.7 
    May 08      5.6     27.3 
    May 09      4.2     31.5 
    May 11      6.5     38.0 
    May 13      5.0     43.0
    May 14     12.6     55.6
    May 15      4.2     59.8
    May 17      5.0     64.8

exercise.png

@_nikkiwolf_ 2 10Ks in 2 Countries in 2 Days? Absolutely!!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp well the race is mostly flat. The plan basically has you do one log run, one tempo run and one interval workout per week basically with the rest being easy. Pretty basic but I wanted to do some Hill training cause a lot of people swear by it, even for flat courses. I do run easy on a bridge I have around here that is around 1 km long, half ascent half descend so I was thinking that instead of 400 m repeats, every other week I'd do Hill repeats, going fast uphill then slowly jog or walk downhill.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)
    5/4 3.1 miles - 19.9 << got some extra miles squeezed in
    5/5 7.5 miles - 27.4
    5/6 4 miles - 31.4
    5/7 REST DAY << Sick +daughter's birthday party
    5/8 REST DAY
    5/9 9 miles - 40.4 << Madkin Mountain (634 ft elev gain)
    5/9 4 miles - 44.4 << Daily Double
    5/10 8.3 miles - 52.7
    5/10 4 miles 56.7 << Daily Double
    5/11 6.2 miles - 62.9
    5/12 9 miles - 71.9
    5/13 6.4 miles - 78.3
    5/14 17 miles - 95.3
    5/15 REST DAY
    5/16 8 miles - 103.3
    5/16 5 miles - 108.3 << Daily Double
    5/17 9 miles - 117.3

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 I also never really paid attention to Daniel's plan but understand his concepts. As @MobyCarp said, the flat and hills work your legs differently. What Daniel's paces have to do is mostly development of the cardiovascular system. So you will have to adjust your paces according to how much an extra effort the hills make.

For example, if your easy pace on a flat surface is a 9:30 pace (65% of max heart rate), then let's say running that same 9:30 pace on a hill is more like 80% of your max heart rate. Then you have to slow your pace down on the hill to have it go back down to 65%, let's just say a 10:15 pace does that. You do the same for tempo. Intervals I would just go straight to a track and do them, but you don't have to. But I would do intervals on something flat. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, then you do the same thing but go by perceived effort.

Hills will build up strength in your legs, so if you run them on one day (and your not used to it) the very next day they will feel sore. So I wouldn't schedule a hard workout day the day after doing hills until you get used to those hills.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @MobyCarp well the race is mostly flat. The plan basically has you do one log run, one tempo run and one interval workout per week basically with the rest being easy. Pretty basic but I wanted to do some Hill training cause a lot of people swear by it, even for flat courses. I do run easy on a bridge I have around here that is around 1 km long, half ascent half descend so I was thinking that instead of 400 m repeats, every other week I'd do Hill repeats, going fast uphill then slowly jog or walk downhill.

You could do this as well. Again, your paces will get adjusted doing hill work.
  • Stoshew71
    edited May 2016
    Options

Yeah, racing 2 days in a row is going to be real tough. Usually my muscles are suboptimum the very next day after running at a race pace.

Although you don't have to race one of them to enjoy the race experience. Race one of them and then treat the other one as an easy day. Even though you are running an easy pace, the race experience is still an enjoyable experience that is very much different than a regular training run.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

May

1-0
    2-stretching
    3-stretching-knee is still sore
    4-yoga tonight/foam rolled
    5-nothing yet
    6-nothing
    7-13.36mi great race. super hard for me. but I did it and completed it. and now I've finished a half marathon race
    8-nothing
    9-nothing
    10-nothing-recovery takes too long
    11-yoga
    12-nothing
    13-yoga
    14=nothing
    15=nothing
    16-nothing yet.....
    17-4.7mi treadmill with hills. level 4

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17

May 7-Door County Half Marathon 2:51:11
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual
    June 11-Rock n Sole 1/4 Marathon?
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half (got my gear-good stuff)
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian bengals are some wild kitties
    i think if we get a cat it will be a main coone...not aloof either. rather dog like
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I'm looking at my training plan, and it has 4-6X800 Cruise intervals with 1 minute recovery on the schedule for this Thursday and 3-4x1 mile tempo intervals with 3 minute recovery for next week. Any suggestion on the number of repeats I should consider doing? I usually program my Forerunner for interval type training, so I don't have to think about it while running.