challenging myself to give up pop

Options
Me and my brother have recently discovered how bad pop really is for you. I mean we knew it was bad to begin with but we assumed the sugar and links to weight gain was basically the only reason but when we read facts about how the phospheric acid is the only thing preventing us from throwing up as we drink it and how it affects your liver and intestines,we decided to stop drinking pop. If anyone is interested in giving up pop along with us or to help support our efforts to resist drinking it feel free to add me and message me or help give me some advice below on how to deal with the cravings and stuff that comes along with trying to give it up. Its day 3 of no pop but its challenging!

Replies

• JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    are you giving up sugary pop and drinking diet versions,or are you giving it all up completely? Happy to hear your making changes for the better,best of luck! :D
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Wait, phospheric acid is the only thing preventing us from throwing up *as* we drink soda? What is the source for this? Why would it make you vomit without this ingredient?

This is what I want to know. I'm curious to see what your sources are for this information, and how they came to that information.
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up both..I never liked diet pop so it doesn't phase me to give that up cuz I never drank it to begin with cuz I hated the taste of aspartame or diet flavor it had in it. I was also told its just as bad as regular although no sugar in it is good..the aspartame causes health problems. But theres too much of a debate on that to even talk about. But I think I would be interested in trying a sincerely natural pop without bad stuff in it. And I'm not sure about the phospheric acid but I read an article on Facebook that was shared multiple times and it said because the sugar content is so high..I guess phosperic acid prevents you from throwing up somehow. I don't know much about the acid so we might have to Google that for more information. But when I drank a can of pop I felt like a weird reaction in my stomach and all of a sudden it made sense why they said that
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    But based off the information I read..I'm guessing we would throw up without the acid in it due to the high sugar content
  • lisafkramer3
    lisafkramer3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your quest to give up pop! I finally gave it up and rarely drink a regular Sprite if I'm not feeling well. They are some people that have acid reflux for which pop becomes a problem. I gave it up to avoid weight gain, as well as reduce tooth decay. One thing that helped me was to buy carbonated water (contains sodium), as well as seltzer water and add just a small amount of juice to the carbonated water or seltzer water with ice to help wean you off soda. You can start with a little more juice and reduce it as you need. I also would also add just a slice or two of oranges or limes or even grapes to the water. I also drink La Croix carbonated water as a treat (not everyone likes carbonated water). I've tried both Berry and Cran-Raspberry versions. It is naturally flavored with no artificial sweeteners and has 0 calories. I also like iced tea.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Good feedback. I challenged myself to give up my coffee but the reason is because I was lying awake at night cuz I drink it xtra strong. Can't stand the taste unless its extra strong. Some people tell me this or that is bad for me and I tell them to show me the stats of why this is bad for me and how many people it has affected, and in what way was this group of people affected. No information so far.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've gotten lots of bad information. That said, I think giving up sugary soda is a great thing to do if you want to, and there's certainly no reason to start drinking diet if you don't care for it -- lots of other things to drink, including with no calories. So go for it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    But based off the information I read..I'm guessing we would throw up without the acid in it due to the high sugar content

You are willing to give up soda forever because of misinformation (on Facebook) that you are interpreting thru guesswork?

Lots of sugary items contain no phosphoric acid. Lots of sugary items don't make people throw up. Maybe guess again (?).
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your quest to give up pop! I finally gave it up and rarely drink a regular Sprite if I'm not feeling well. They are some people that have acid reflux for which pop becomes a problem. I gave it up to avoid weight gain, as well as reduce tooth decay. One thing that helped me was to buy carbonated water (contains sodium), as well as seltzer water and add just a small amount of juice to the carbonated water or seltzer water with ice to help wean you off soda. You can start with a little more juice and reduce it as you need. I also would also add just a slice or two of oranges or limes or even grapes to the water. I also drink La Croix carbonated water as a treat (not everyone likes carbonated water). I've tried both Berry and Cran-Raspberry versions. It is naturally flavored with no artificial sweeteners and has 0 calories. I also like iced tea.

Omg this would take me all day to prepare! And with all of the added stuff I might as well drink the soda!
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    I know..I get what your saying and agree that not everything on Facebook or internet is always true but I don't think it was my brain playing tricks on me cuz before I read the information on Facebook I remember the feeling I got in my stomach after drinking it each day. I also googled it and had pictures on there saying the same thing but it also doesn't make sense why we don't throw up after drinking highly natural sugary drinks or foods so many there's a different reason behind it and it not the sugar content that would cause throwing up. To be honest I ignored it at first but then more and more people were sharing it so actually took it more seriously after that
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    My source from finding the information is on facebook its called beauty health page..the title is what happens to your body after drinking a coke. It has pictures and information saying what happens after 10 minutes,20 minutes and goes up to I think 40 or 60 minutes after you drink it
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    They are some people that have acid reflux for which pop becomes a problem.

A&W Root Beer has a higher PH than water sometimes. Great for people with reflux.
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    So, I'm glad you're giving up soda, it's definitely bad for you. However, the Coke info graphic is so wrong. Two Twinkies have 37g of sugar, no phosphoric acid. Sprite has 38g of sugar, no phosphoric acid. You may have had a phantom reaction. I still allow myself one Dr. Pepper a day, fit in to my allowances. Maybe a titration would help. I like to drink iced tea, and unsweetened cold brew iced tea helps me stay on track when I'm bored with water.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylstra/heres-whats-wrong-with-that-viral-coca-cola-graphic?utm_term=.tjGjldvB0#.kcNkqVWYM

http://www.beachbody.com/beachbodyblog/nutrition/that-viral-coke-infographic-is-wrong-heres-what-really-happens