May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @kimlight2 All the best for your 5k tomorrow!

@AdrianChr92 Take care of that knee! You've made some absolutely great progress (I'm impressed whenever I see how fast and far you run), don't risk that! It might be the safer option if you don't increase to 6 runs per week before you're absolutely sure the knee is fine.

@RespectTheKitty Well done on the C25K program - only one week to go, enjoy the grand finale :)

@ddmom0811 Seriously, your husband didn't notice you were in the background and already submitted that picture to a website? At least a pet-photo-website is probably not the usual hunting ground for people looking for topless snapshots.

@EvgeniZyntx Congratulations on the PRs!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    OK, I have a question for you all.

Lately it seems that with me running for longer periods of time, I have been getting some abdominal cramping right after a run that lasts for maybe an hour or two. I'm not talking about side stitches... these are like, intestinal cramps. :neutral: After today's run, it even sent me to the bathroom.

Is this a thing? Will the cramping go away as I get more used to running longer distances? I really want to keep going and building up my distance.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So infinitus just started.
    888 km of running.

:scream:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Lately it seems that with me running for longer periods of time, I have been getting some abdominal cramping right after a run that lasts for maybe an hour or two. I'm not talking about side stitches... these are like, intestinal cramps. :neutral: After today's run, it even sent me to the bathroom.

Is this a thing? Will the cramping go away as I get more used to running longer distances? I really want to keep going and building up my distance.

I don't know about this, but Dr. Google says this....

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-coaches/ask-the-coaches-lower-abdomen-painpelvic-pain-diagnosis

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/abd.pain.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/240642-stomach-pains-after-running/

http://fitness.stackexchange.com/questions/3986/how-to-avoid-stomach-cramps-after-running
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    "Stoshew71 wrote: »

Ah yes, good ol' Google. I don't know why I don't check that first.

Holy cow, according to the first article, it could be just about anything that causes it.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Looking back, the "evil" bit that forced me to walk had an average slope of 22%. Which actually sounds pretty impressive to me, so now I don't feel so bad about walking anymore. Still, I guess that means I'm not quite ready for the fun race that @WhatMeRunning linked ^^
    Actually, that Pikes Peak Ascent half marathon is only a slope of 11.1%. I think that might be easy-peasy for you!

888 km of running.

Yes indeed! I know of this one from another MFP member who has been a pacer at it last year, and I think this year too. MADNESS!!!
    http://www.endurancesociety.org/infinitus.html
    And I wish I could do it. But there is no way I could! Probably ever! No matter how hard I train! I may be too old to ever prep for that one!

Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I may need to visit dogoftheday now, you know because of... science?
    I wonder what their website stats for visits from this site are today? :tongue:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Strange, webanalytics says the previous website that brought the new traffic here says community.myfitnesspal.com I wonder why that is.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    When I saw there were over 100 posts in the 24 hours since I last checked this thread, I had braces myself for reading through some pretty heavy, expert running stuff I wouldn't really understand. Clearly I needn't have worried, you're all just enjoying a bit of cursing :tongue:

Just a quick run for me today, will do my long run tomorrow as I have a packed weekend and then a short recovery run on Sunday night. Hopefully my run tomorrow will be fuelled on the buzz of having gotten a new job, not the rage of having been unsuccessful!

2nd May - 3.06 miles
    3-4th May - poorlysick
    5th May - 2.40 miles
    8th May - 13.1 miles Hackney Half 2:05:24
    12th May - 3.27 miles
    14th May - 3.11 miles
    15th May - 5.08 miles
    17th May - 3.23 miles
    19th May - 3.64 miles

MTD - 36.89/70 miles

Upcoming races:
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Looking back, the "evil" bit that forced me to walk had an average slope of 22%. Which actually sounds pretty impressive to me, so now I don't feel so bad about walking anymore. Still, I guess that means I'm not quite ready for the fun race that @WhatMeRunning linked ^^
    Actually, that Pikes Peak Ascent half marathon is only a slope of 11.1%. I think that might be easy-peasy for you!

888 km of running.

Yes indeed! I know of this one from another MFP member who has been a pacer at it last year, and I think this year too. MADNESS!!!
    http://www.endurancesociety.org/infinitus.html
    And I wish I could do it. But there is no way I could! Probably ever! No matter how hard I train! I may be too old to ever prep for that one!

I very much intend to do the 88km infinitus race next year. With a 24 hr cut-off, I'm up for the fun misery. I'll be 50 years-old too.

(we may know the same mpf member that paced last year.)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options

@ddmom0811 Seriously, your husband didn't notice you were in the background and already submitted that picture to a website? At least a pet-photo-website is probably not the usual hunting ground for people looking for topless snapshots.
    ly
    NO! He was joking with me! He didn't submit it. He knows I look at it every day, so that's why he said that.
    He would never take the time to do that. ;)

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    two-and-a-half sad, little, unmotivated miles ...

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---0.5 test run, 6.0 walk/trail runnish
    14---6.48 walk
    15---2.3
    17---4.2 run!
    19---4.17 4 mile runs might be asking too much of my foot just yet... but happy to get out! Still haven't shaved. Went to Walmart after the run, in shorts. An older lady said "You have the cutest little brown legs". Mmm, hairy ones. Then i ran into a co-worker... chat chat chat hairy stinky runner. :smiley: oh well.

24.25/anything

Upcoming races:

11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 Dallas marathon, half
    Run the year 2016  770.04/ 2016
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Thinkingabout sterilizing my CamelBak and bring it with on my Long Run through the hills next week
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    two-and-a-half sad, little, unmotivated miles ...

exercise.png

you did it, that's what matters.
  • Elise4270
    Options

Just a guess, but maybe it's the return of blood flow to the intestines. This last week I'm feeling nauseous the last mile. Crazy things happen to your guts running.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    When I saw there were over 100 posts in the 24 hours since I last checked this thread, I had braces myself for reading through some pretty heavy, expert running stuff I wouldn't really understand. Clearly I needn't have worried, you're all just enjoying a bit of cursing :tongue:

We are a group of mature runners...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 3.11 easy
    5/2 – rest day
    5/3 – extra rest day
    5/4 – 3.51 almost easy
    5/5 – 6.34 easy
    5/6 – planned rest day
    5/7 – 11.02 with pace group
    5/8 – extra rest day
    5/9 – scheduled rest day
    5/10 – extra rest day
    5/11 – no running
    5/12 – no running
    5/13 – PT appointment, no running
    5/14 – no running
    5/15 – no running, DNS for 10K
    5/16 – no running
    5/17 – PT appointment, 2.03 warm up
    5/18 – rest day
    5/19 – PT appointment, 2.55 on track

May total to date – 28.56

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from Boston and Flower City. Build Base. Start training program for Rochester Marathon Recover from injury, return to running.

Today's notes – Felt good this morning, but a test of one Turkish get-up (35 lb. kettlebell) on each side revealed that the sore muscles from yesterday were still sore when stress was applied. PT appointment went well, and the PT was almost ready to dismiss me; I have one more appointment next Tuesday, and an assignment to run but keep it easy this weekend, preferably on grass.

Went to the club this evening and this time I was smart enough to do my warmup on the track. 9 laps in lane 7 came out to 2.55 miles per Garmin, which is a good enough estimate for an outer lane. The aches in my right shin and calf faded when I warmed up, but that pesky right hip abductor was weak enough that it ached the whole run. Still, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as Tuesday's mostly asphalt run.

Decided I was done for the day after the warmup. Stretched, came home, will get a hot bath for the right leg in a bit. I'm scheduled to pace 6 or 10 miles Saturday morning, on roads. 10 miles won't happen. 6 is looking dubious.

Still, even though a track is boring and 2.5 miles isn't any distance to speak of, running 2.55 miles on a track is much better than not running at all. Just have to keep reminding myself not to push too hard. It will come back. It might not come back very quickly.

I've already decided tomorrow will be a rest day, even if I feel great. I want to give myself a chance at being up for 6 miles Saturday morning.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)

• CChen8520
    CChen8520 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    5/1 25 min spinning, no run
    5/2 3.9 miles
    5/3 4.2 miles
    5/5 4.5 miles
    5/6 2.8 miles
    5/9 4.56 miles
    5/19 4.34 miles

well it's been a long break.... happy I'm back.

exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Was going to take today easy with a 7.5 miler, but ran into a friend halfway through my run and ended up getting into a heavy conversation at a reasonable pace, so found myself doing 11 for the day. Good to help her flesh through a few ideas/challenges and the weather/scenery on our usual trail was definitely nicer than usual. Just regret wearing my flats for the run, as they don't do as well on the trails if I'm not consciously trying to avoid the bigger stones.

5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25 - 7:11/mile, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume, got a BQ)
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 15 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - 3 miles
    5/12 - 2 miles
    5/13 - 4.5 miles
    5/14 - 6 miles
    5/15 - 3 miles
    5/17 - 11 miles
    5/18 - 10 miles
    5/19 - 11 miles

Total: 103.5 miles