What's the biggest weight-loss lie you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I saw a news show item once where some expert said you shouldn't eat a carb and a protein at the same time because it was too much for the body to process and would be stored as fat.

This is why "news shows" are a horrible place to get nutrition advice. There is absolutely no way for your body to store food as fat without processing it. Unprocessed food is expelled as waste.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I saw a news show item once where some expert said you shouldn't eat a carb and a protein at the same time because it was too much for the body to process and would be stored as fat.

There was some big diet about 25-30 years ago that used this, I think. Something about "food combining." A friend who was sure that THIS was the answer made me crazy on the subject.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    DianeinCA wrote: »

There was some big diet about 25-30 years ago that used this, I think. Something about "food combining." A friend who was sure that THIS was the answer made me crazy on the subject.

If we can't eat protein and carbs together then we could never eat beans or nuts. That would make me sad.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Right. That's why the best long run recovery food is a mix of carbs and protein. That's why all those marathoners are so fat! Where do people come up with this stuff?
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    MandaB9780 wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    mypi wrote: »
    Eating every 3 hours will help to lose weight

This is not a myth actually. If you eat more frequent but little portions, your body has time to digest what you ate and you are less hungry in a process. Also eating when you're NOT hungry helps to fill you up faster leading to eating less at meal time.

This is a myth as it varies per person. I don't do well on frequent, small meals as they always leave me hungry. This is why many people adopt an IF style of eating, as meal times are a preference. There is nothing special about small, frequent meals in and of itself that would induce weight loss.

It's not a myth. The more frequent you eat in smaller portions the more you're keeping your metabolism going and keeping your body from storing anything.

No. It literally is not true. There is no science to support it, your metabolic rate is determined by your genes and your size not how often you eat. The metabolism is not a fire that needs to be stoked.

Eat less than you use. That is absolutely all there is to it.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    That I wasn't a tub of lard.

QFT. All my life, people said I was definitely just curvy and that I wore my weight well and didn't need to lose much weight if any at all. In truth, by charts, measurements, my doctor, pictures, and several other standards, I was obese. And yes. Upon realizing that I was indeed obese by BMI standards, I was slightly in denial and checked/looked up everything to hopefully find a standard that didn't categorize me as obese. I found no such standard.
    Looking back at old pictures, I can clearly see that the "curvy and healthy" description was in fact false. Was I relatively thinner than the average American? Maybe, but that did not negate the fact that I was HUGE, plain and simple. To this day, whenever I happen to mention that I went from being obese to healthy, these same people are always quick to say something along the lines of, "Oh, you weren't obese before; you were just little overweight" or "Are you sure you were obese before?" *rolls eyes* This is why I don't let non-professionals judge my health. It's always sad/surprising to see how poor people are at judging others' health.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    MandaB9780 wrote: »
    mypi wrote: »
    Eating every 3 hours will help to lose weight

This is not a myth actually. If you eat more frequent but little portions, your body has time to digest what you ate and you are less hungry in a process. Also eating when you're NOT hungry helps to fill you up faster leading to eating less at meal time.

This is a myth as it varies per person. I don't do well on frequent, small meals as they always leave me hungry. This is why many people adopt an IF style of eating, as meal times are a preference. There is nothing special about small, frequent meals in and of itself that would induce weight loss.

It's not a myth. The more frequent you eat in smaller portions the more you're keeping your metabolism going and keeping your body from storing anything.

If it's not a myth, then how do people who do IF experience so much success?

Calorie deficit.
    /end discussion.

Timing has no impact.. the metabolism runs 24/7... no stops.

As established above, that was the EXACT point the poster was trying to make. If several small meals are the way to go, how could people with IF possibly be successful with regard to weight loss unless meal timing WAS actually a myth..

Yep...quoted the wrong post.
  • nikolausi88
    nikolausi88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Those things really irritate me, let's pretend all the food will travel through your intestines in perfect little compartments and never touch or mix in the process.
    Some experts seem to skip basic physiology...

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    You can only eat boring food when on a diet.

I get that a lot and nothing I eat I find boring.

I do find it easier to stick to the same foods. Streamlines the approach and with variety I overeat.

Me too!!

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    That it's particularly hard. You just need to want to do it.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    That losing 2lb a week is unhealty
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    That eating frozen mint peas will cause your body to burn calories heating itself up.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    "Exercise is not needed to lose body fat"
    If that were the case then I wouldn't have became skinny-fat while doing CICO on a sedentary activity level. Fortunately, I leaned out after lifting weights, yoga, and daily walks. And now my calorie allowance is greater as well.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    *Obesity is genetic; it runs in the family.
    *Cutting out sugar is the only way to lose weight!
    *Any cleanse or diet that "kickstarts" or "jumpstarts" weight loss

I actually think obesity does have a genetic link. It doesn't mean you have to be fat because of it, or can't do anything about it, but I'm almost 100% certain that genetics is linked with obesity.
  • CaloriesInCaloriesOut4Life
    Options
    It's funny how some of these things on here like "5 to 6 meals a day" and "X processed food is bad for you" is actually not bad for me as it's how I control my food addiction (as eating only 3 meals a day makes me hungrier mentally trying to wait till the next time and then I over eat at the next meal as well as eating more fruits and vegetables and lean meat than McDonald DOES GENERALLY help to curb my cravings even though I still eat McDonalds sometimes and lose fine) Ultimately my aim is to control my food addiction how ever I can so that I eat less than I exercise/move in general... as my username implies.

Stupid rules that I have heard that don't work for me:

-Eat 3 Square Meals a Day and minimal snacking (Nope 5 to 6 small meals controls my out of control snacking/food addiction MUCH better)
    -Low Carb (no it's about calories in the end!)
    -Eat crap and just move more to burn it off (works to an extent but unfortunately eating crap makes me feel lazier or it would work like it does for skinnier folks who only have 10 pounds to lose)
    -Count calories in your head and eyeball measurements (Ah NO... I ALWAYS eat more than I think)
    -Genetics makes you fat (I think it makes you want to be lazy and eat more than skinny people in general but that's no excuse.. you can fight genetics with nutritional science and increasing activity level!!!)
    -Denying yourself anything on a "diet" (Yeah sure just ignore your cravings instead of working them into your calories ... ah not like that won't blow up in your face and cause overeating some random time)
    -Goal Weight means you can eat anything you want and be lazy again (Nope sorry not how it works!)

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    There's loads flying about. I'll start us off: 'if you eat it in the dark it doesn't count'!

Fats are bad. Followed closely by Carbs are bad.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    ajApgwR_460s.jpg
    Just saw this.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    "I'm addicted to food so I can't lose weight". Food's not cocaine, guys.

"You have to cut carbs to lose weight!" Nope.

"You have to exercise like a fiend to lose weight!" Try again.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Celebrities saying they've lost loads of post baby weight saying they've been "chasing after" their kid.

Or my old flat mate "forgetting to eat" when stressed or the "heartbreak diet".

Kids, stress and heartbreak - I'll stuff my face through all of them!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    "Exercise is not needed to lose body fat"
    If that were the case then I wouldn't have became skinny-fat while doing CICO on a sedentary activity level. Fortunately, I leaned out after lifting weights, yoga, and daily walks. And now my calorie allowance is greater as well.

That's not a lie. You have lost fat, not an ideal ratio of fat:lbm, but you've lost fat.