Snakes

Options

Replies

• WYMANT0004
    WYMANT0004 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    Okay, I have to ask: what do all of you do with your snakes?

As others have said, I treat them like any other pet. I handle them, I feed them and all that jazz. Plus, sometimes I like to just sit and watch them, I am sure many do not understand but they really are fascinating creatures.

Additionally, with the ball pythons especially, there is the breeding end. Again, I do not expect everyone to understand but an analogy is that it is kind of like breeding orchids with all the different colour and pattern mutations. And, given my education and profession, getting to play with the genetics of it all is more than a little bit fun for me, but then I am a total science dork so I get why that aspect does not interest most other people.

I also use them for education. I do talks with them for kids at schools and libraries. They are a great way to get kids to become engaged in nature and science. And I also think it is important to teach kids, and adults alike, that snakes are not these evil malicious entities they are made out to be.

Really, there is nothing quite so satisfying as seeing that one kid positioned as far back in the room as possible at the start of one of my talks because they are afraid of the snakes but at the end of the hour, when I offer to let anyone interested come up and pet the snakes or get a closer look, there is that same kid, pushing to get to the front and reaching out and touching the snake. To see them conquer their fear and learn to respect the animals as unique parts of the world... It is just awesome
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Some of my babies this morning

[f59t4690qebz.jpeg
    t73np8v2egnp.jpeg
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    very cute @fitgirl0123
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    WYMANT0004 wrote: »
    I'm against it. We have a major problem in the Everglades because of lost pets and zoo releases from hurricanes. It's now impossible to fix.
    Allowing people to have snakes as pets. Released non-native species are doing serious ecological damage here.

Yes, Hurricane Andrew did result in the release of Burms and, yes, they are an invasive species there because of it and, yes, absolutely invasive species are not good...

That said, you need to do a bit of fact checking before damning us herpers. The "major problem" of snakes in the Everglade is absurdly conflated by the media and the AR movement.

Do you know what invasive species causes the most ecological damage in FL? Pigs

Do you know what pet kills thousands upon thousands of native animals and has been the documented cause of numerous species extinctions and yet ggoes unchecked? Cats.

I will go even further. Kudzu, the creeping death of the South -- Brought in by the US Government.

Japanese carp? Brought in to help clean out a totally different invasive, again, by the Government.

All of these and more cause vastly more ecological damage than the Burms in the 'Glades and you never hear about them? And why is that? Simple, because many people are afraid of snakes and it is so much easier to feed that fear to enact over-reaching regulations that are used as window-dressing to pretend something is being done rather than deal with the real problem species.

If you do not personally like snakes, that is fine. I will never tell people they have to like snakes. But do not point a condemning finger at me, a responsible reptile keeper, while your own neighbourhood is probably populated by a sizable population of feral cats, being fed by "kind, caring people" all the while killing thousands of birds and small animals every month.

Justifying one problem by pointing fingers and identifying others? Nice rhetorical trick but that's all it is. As for liking snakes, I find reptiles fascinating and was a responsible lizard owner for many years. My baby was finally donated to the Atlanta zoo for breeding years ago. Unfortunately, we can't assume that every herp is responsible. I've known way too many who were not. If you are then more power to you, but I still think openly allowing people to own non-native species as pets is a mistake. Even if you are resposible mistakes can happen. And yes, feral cats and wild boar are are also real problems, but again, that doesn't justify more problems. If anything, we should learn from those mistakes and clean up the problem. I get the passion though. They're fascinating creatures.
  • backontheattack
    backontheattack Posts: 3,178 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not... I have nothing against them except for the fact I am terrified of them. I cant go into a pet store if they are here. I ran across 4 lanes of traffic to get to the other side of the road because I saw a guy coming down the street with one around his neck.
  • WYMANT0004
    Options
    Justifying one problem by pointing fingers and identifying others? Nice rhetorical trick but that's all it is.

There was no trick there other than calling out the trick that is being played on everyone else. I am not justifying the problem. I openly acknowledge that the Burms are a problem... A south Florida problem. And there were/are laws/regulations in effect in FL about owning Burms. So why then was it necessary to enact nationwide restrictions on them?? There is zero chance that Burms could form a feral population in, say, Montana or Ohio. But if someone from one of those states wanted a Burm from a breeder in the other it would be a Federal violation to ship the animal. How did that Federal regulation fix the problem in Florida? It did not. But all the supports behind the regulation tout on and on about how it was and is the solution. Meanwhile ignoring the species that are a far greater problem.

And yes, feral cats and wild boar are are also real problems, but again, that doesn't justify more problems. If anything, we should learn from those mistakes and clean up the problem. I get the passion though. They're fascinating creatures.

Again, I am not justifying anything. We cannot learn from mistakes that are being ignored or denied -- you are a rare person to acknowledge the cats and the boars.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Justifying one problem by pointing fingers and identifying others? Nice rhetorical trick but that's all it is.

There was no trick there other than calling out the trick that is being played on everyone else. I am not justifying the problem. I openly acknowledge that the Burms are a problem... A south Florida problem. And there were/are laws/regulations in effect in FL about owning Burms. So why then was it necessary to enact nationwide restrictions on them?? There is zero chance that Burms could form a feral population in, say, Montana or Ohio. But if someone from one of those states wanted a Burm from a breeder in the other it would be a Federal violation to ship the animal. How did that Federal regulation fix the problem in Florida? It did not. But all the supports behind the regulation tout on and on about how it was and is the solution. Meanwhile ignoring the species that are a far greater problem.

And yes, feral cats and wild boar are are also real problems, but again, that doesn't justify more problems. If anything, we should learn from those mistakes and clean up the problem. I get the passion though. They're fascinating creatures.

Again, I am not justifying anything. We cannot learn from mistakes that are being ignored or denied -- you are a rare person to acknowledge the cats and the boars.

All fair points, particularly about owning exotics in parts of the country where they can't survive in the wild. My issue is really here in Florida, and pythons aren't the first zoo issue in Florida. I'd like us (the state of Florida) to get much stricter. In addition to the snakes, wild board, and cats, we also have a mild monkey problem.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I wuv my snakey-poos. :)

ZvKAJMf.jpg

This is my sweet boy Fei Lian, who unfortunately has cancer. (And likes wearing himself as a hat, as you can see.) He had surgery in March to remove the sarcoma, but the little goober managed to pop his stitches off with his last shed, so it's been a fun few weeks dealing with a big open wound. x_x

Godiva is my ball python, and resists pics. :P But she's a cutie too.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I do like snakes! But my reptile of choice (for now) is leopard geckos. I have two, the larger one is named Draco but is likely female, the smaller more brilliantly colored but not as healthy one is called Nugget. She does okay, but doesn't shed well and isn't a big eater. I call Draco the brother, even though he's female, and he's hearty as heck. Big eater, great shredder, etc. They currently occupy a 30gal tank together with 5 hides. They sometimes chose to share, but often spend time apart (Nug likes the moist hides best, good for her sheds I hope). If I ever get around to figuring out photos I'd share a few, they are growing fast!
  • brb_2013
    Options
    Raechel120 wrote: »
    I had a ball Python and loved her so much. I think my love of snakes came from my science teacher in Jr high he had so many animals he kept at the school one of them being a 12 ft long Boa constrictor

That's where my reptile love grew too, my 7th/8th grade science teacher! He taught bio and had counters lined with terrariums! He had all kinds of lizards, beardies, leos, and tropical geckos, plus a ball python. He's why I got my first Leo when I was 14 :)
  • brb_2013
    Options
    3oukvv0hjfg3.jpg

Here's my little Nug, during a particularly tough shed. I help with her toes after two days, but she ended up with the shed skin on her head for 2 days this time too, missing a feeding. I made her a little sauna and it came right off. Seems strange that the other lizard sheds perfectly and hates my humid hides, she loves the humid hide and has such a tough time. Poor girl! But I adore watching them both. Don't have pics of Draco on my new phone.
  • nahmm83
    nahmm83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had a ball python when I was in high school. Coolest pet ever!
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
    Zaftique wrote: »
    I wuv my snakey-poos. :)

ZvKAJMf.jpg

This is my sweet boy Fei Lian, who unfortunately has cancer. (And likes wearing himself as a hat, as you can see.) He had surgery in March to remove the sarcoma, but the little goober managed to pop his stitches off with his last shed, so it's been a fun few weeks dealing with a big open wound. x_x

Godiva is my ball python, and resists pics. :P But she's a cutie too.

How adorable! I'm so sorry to hear about the cancer. Bless that little babies heart. So precious.
  • WYMANT0004
    Options
    I'd like us (the state of Florida) to get much stricter.

I am in agreement with you there. I believe tighter regulation need to apply in many cases (amphibians because of chytrid, anything dangerously venomous, etc.) My issue is when the regulations become too over-reaching.
  • WYMANT0004
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Clutch #2 on the ground as of this morning:

PhantomPin x Mochi
    IMG_7818_zps6zdkf0uz.jpg
    She was really not happy to see me and tried to take off (hence the only partial body shot of her.) Made it easier collecting the eggs though, I hate it when they decide to fight you for them; angry mommy snakes can deliver quite the wallop.
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    3oukvv0hjfg3.jpg

Here's my little Nug, during a particularly tough shed. I help with her toes after two days, but she ended up with the shed skin on her head for 2 days this time too, missing a feeding. I made her a little sauna and it came right off. Seems strange that the other lizard sheds perfectly and hates my humid hides, she loves the humid hide and has such a tough time. Poor girl! But I adore watching them both. Don't have pics of Draco on my new phone.

Awwww. Just got my first Leo this week
  • WYMANT0004
    Options
    ReptiCon this weekend... My goal is to make it home without a new animal in tow LOL
  • Watchinherbackthistime
    Watchinherbackthistime Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have 2 corns and an albino Burmese python he's a bit big lol OK he's a lot big haha
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
    ReptiCon this weekend... My goal is to make it home without a new animal in tow LOL

Lmao good luck with that. Only way I can manage is by leaving money at home and I just won't do it lol