Snakes

Options

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just tell me they aren't on a plane. Cuz I am tired of these mother *kitten* snakes on this mother *kitten* plane!

hqdefault.jpg
  • pfreeme
    pfreeme Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's a true story! No innuendo!

Poor snake!
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    awe! its soooo cute!!!!!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    We don't need no snakes on no MFP.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Um...no. Just NO.

Snakes terrify me. In my head, rationally, I know the non-venomous ones won't hurt me, and I know it's an irrational fear, but it's there nonetheless. When I walk into the reptile house at the zoo, the hairs on my arms will literally stand straight up on end. :(
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    but they just want a kiss
    25023488386_da34c91b6c.jpg
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 soooo adorable
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I've eaten Habu when I was in Okinawa, back in the 70's. Tasty.
  • blairrob12
    blairrob12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    No! Just No!
  • mbaker566
    edited May 2016
    Options
    blairrob12 wrote: »
    No! Just No!
    what?
    26883276571_ea6988ab60.jpg
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have to ask: what do all of you do with your snakes?
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
    Um feed and care for them like any other pet lol
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'm against it. We have a major problem in the Everglades because of lost pets and zoo releases from hurricanes. It's now impossible to fix.
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
    I'm against it. We have a major problem in the Everglades because of lost pets and zoo releases from hurricanes. It's now impossible to fix.

Against what?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Against what?

Allowing people to have snakes as pets. Released non-native species are doing serious ecological damage here.
  • ashleyandniles16
    ashleyandniles16 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I see enough snakes where I live lol
  • mbaker566
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    Okay, I have to ask: what do all of you do with your snakes?

all of my animals come out of their cages a few times a week too. I prefer social creatures. the dragon hangs out at the window. the frog finds a happy spot and falls asleep. the snake sits someplace and looks around

the zoo releases nonnative species? no.
    People should not be releasing their pets in the wild anywhere. those are irresponsible people and my herp keeping will not be determined by stupid people.
    I see enough snakes where I live lol

i love seeing snakes in the wild. still love having them as pets too
  • WYMANT0004
    WYMANT0004 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Allowing people to have snakes as pets. Released non-native species are doing serious ecological damage here.

Yes, Hurricane Andrew did result in the release of Burms and, yes, they are an invasive species there because of it and, yes, absolutely invasive species are not good...

That said, you need to do a bit of fact checking before damning us herpers. The "major problem" of snakes in the Everglade is absurdly conflated by the media and the AR movement.

Do you know what invasive species causes the most ecological damage in FL? Pigs

Do you know what pet kills thousands upon thousands of native animals and has been the documented cause of numerous species extinctions and yet ggoes unchecked? Cats.

I will go even further. Kudzu, the creeping death of the South -- Brought in by the US Government.

Japanese carp? Brought in to help clean out a totally different invasive, again, by the Government.

All of these and more cause vastly more ecological damage than the Burms in the 'Glades and you never hear about them? And why is that? Simple, because many people are afraid of snakes and it is so much easier to feed that fear to enact over-reaching regulations that are used as window-dressing to pretend something is being done rather than deal with the real problem species.

If you do not personally like snakes, that is fine. I will never tell people they have to like snakes. But do not point a condemning finger at me, a responsible reptile keeper, while your own neighbourhood is probably populated by a sizable population of feral cats, being fed by "kind, caring people" all the while killing thousands of birds and small animals every month.