Snakes

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I adore snakes and rescue them from being on the road whenever possible. I wouldn't keep one because I wouldn't like feeding it.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I adore snakes and rescue them from being on the road whenever possible. I wouldn't keep one because I wouldn't like feeding it.

So happy to hear of another who saves them off the road. So many people intentionally hit them. It's so sad! I don't keep any wild snakes either, only captive bred snakes. Feeding is actually not bad. I feed all mine frozen/thawed
  • WYMANT0004
    WYMANT0004 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @FitGirl0123 You might want to submit that first picture with location data to your local DNR/FWS, that animal looks like it might have SFD. I know that disease has become a bit of a concern and if you are somewhere that it has not previously been reported it would likely help to have the report

@lithezebra As Fit mentioned, feeding frozen/thawed can make it easier but there is also a new product out called ReptiLink that are basically sausages designed for reptile diets and many species take them very well.
  • Raechel120
    Raechel120 Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I had a ball Python and loved her so much. I think my love of snakes came from my science teacher in Jr high he had so many animals he kept at the school one of them being a 12 ft long Boa constrictor
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    what's the longest hunger strikes your snakes have ever been on? I'm curious who takes the crown on this one lol my stubborn BP is still refusing food. moved her into a spare bedroom and cranked the heat up last night to get her temps a little higher and humidity up to see if that helps. she's going on 5 months now :/
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @FitGirl0123 neither did mine. she tried ot make a couple of strikes.
  • WYMANT0004
    Options
    @michaela_g09 I had a ball python go on hunger strike for 13 months. As long as the animal looks healthy and is not rapidly losing weight then I would not stress it overly much
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    she looks fine and I'm not stressing it much but just wish she would get back to her routine lol
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
    WYMANT0004 wrote: »
    @FitGirl0123 You might want to submit that first picture with location data to your local DNR/FWS, that animal looks like it might have SFD. I know that disease has become a bit of a concern and if you are somewhere that it has not previously been reported it would likely help to have the report

@lithezebra As Fit mentioned, feeding frozen/thawed can make it easier but there is also a new product out called ReptiLink that are basically sausages designed for reptile diets and many species take them very well.

It's actually just mud from him just coming out of hibernation.
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
    she looks fine and I'm not stressing it much but just wish she would get back to her routine lol

My hoggie is the only one of my snakes that ever gives me any trouble. She's gone a couple of months without eating before. She usually eats for a few weeks then goes off food for couple months then repeats. Seems to be no rhyme or reason for it, and she's very tiny at 2 years old because of it. The rest of my snakes are monsters and never miss a meal n
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
    5ouaf8hbqff0.jpeg
    Cutie pie little worm snake
  • WYMANT0004
    Options
    Fun shot of my blackhed
    DSC01803_zpsz2vkfsmj.jpg
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
    Fun shot of my blackhed
    DSC01803_zpsz2vkfsmj.jpg

Gorgeous!
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
    klyj20ubpolt.jpeg
    My fiesty white sided rat snake
  • WYMANT0004
    Options
    Gorgeous!

Thanks. Your white-side is pretty impressive as well

For kicks, here is what my breeding season looks like this year

PhantomPin x Mochi
    IMG_6738_zpstj5jhovq.jpg

Lesser het Hypo x Mochi
    IMG_6770_zpscfd6qqhy.jpg

Lesser het Hypo x RedStripe (after I saw a RedStripeMojave at a show, I switched to this guy instead, figure I should get cool offspring regardless of who dad turns out to be)
    IMG_7412_zpsndack1ip.jpg

Pastel G-Stripe x RedStripe
    IMG_7192_zpstly0i1xk.jpg

RedStripe x RedStripe
    IMG_6873%201_zpsnjhd4iyz.jpg

Striped dinker x Albino Woma
    IMG_6871%201_zpszw7kpk5n.jpg

Woma x Ivory (poss OD poss Pastel poss Butter)
    IMG_7193_zpssvibp1jg.jpg

Enchi x Ivory (poss OD poss Pastel poss Butter)
    IMG_7159_zpsdzzijzvx.jpg

BlackPastel x Ivory (poss OD poss Pastel poss Butter) [this is a different male than the one in the previous two pics]
    IMG_7362_zpsvhrmt055.jpg

AlbinoPin x Candino
    IMG_7299_zpskhjmelpr.jpg

Albino x Woma het Candy
    IMG_7435_zpsikwpenld.jpg

FireFly x BellyFly
    IMG_7196_zpsgsu5ftvb.jpg

Mojave het DG x Enchi het CG
    IMG_7437_zpsvjfzmkth.jpg
  • WYMANT0004
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    I vote NO on snakes.

If you dislike snakes, fine that is your prerogative. However, you were the one who chose to click on a topic titled 'Snakes' so you have only yourself to blame for being here...
  • WYMANT0004
    Options
    And so begins my breeding season:
    IMG_7768_zpsox0dgybd.jpg
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
    And so begins my breeding season:
    IMG_7768_zpsox0dgybd.jpg

Sweet! What is the pairing?
  • WYMANT0004
    Options
    Sweet! What is the pairing?

Firefly x Bellyfly. Lots of potential combos... Of course, any BlkELs are going to be a nightmare to figure out LOL