Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• vxCricketxv
    vxCricketxv Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I've been with MFP (this time) since February. I am currently trying to lose 125lbs. I found this thread a few days ago, and I just love the spirit here. I do not have many friends yet (I'm kind of introverted...) and I am looking for a support system. I'm down 54 lbs and looking forward to getting stronger! I've signed up for my first Marathon in November and I'm excited and terrified all at the same time!!
  • MichelleHudler
    MichelleHudler Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    We all wish it would come off as quickly as it came on, unfortunately it just doesn't work that way. :confounded: Trust me, slow and steady wins this race. Everyone loses weight at different rates. Its a hard concept to understand sometimes but you need to eat to lose weight--not just eat, but eat the right types of food to fuel your body. Trust me, upping your calories will pay off in the end--but you need to give your body time to adjust, maybe a few weeks. Some food for thought--for optimum health and organ function our bodies need a minimum of 1200 calories a day just to function. So you don't want to eat any less than that unless under doctor's supervision. So aim for 1500 calories and make a promise to yourself to try it for two weeks--don't change anything else, same exercise. The results may surprise you. You are making great progress so stick to your guns. You're doing great! [/quote]

I will thank you. I have began my increased intake. I am feeling more motivated today.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ...Some food for thought--for optimum health and organ function our bodies need a minimum of 1200 calories a day just to function.

Sorry, that is an inacurate statement. MFP doesn't want you to go below 1200 calories for a woman because below that you are probably short changing nutritional needs for vitamins and minerals. Here are a couple of good articles to read about calories, and what your body needs to just function (this varies per person and is called Basal Metabolic Rate, or Resting Metabolic Rate, which is something a bit different than BMR). You need to eat at the very least, the amount of your BMR to maintain body function ... not counting exercise or daily living, which is an add-on to the BMR amount.

The first ariticle is from Popsugar ...
    http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Why-1200-Calories-Day-Important-When-Dieting-13080864

The second is from VeryWell ...
    https://www.verywell.com/what-is-bmr-or-basal-metabolic-rate-3495380

This final article is a forum from CalorieCount ... you can find the same type of conversation in the threads here on MFP ... and actually, a very lot of debate.
    https://www.caloriecount.com/forums/weight-loss/eat-bmr-net
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @niki-- when kelley wrote that about 1200 calorie minimum to michelle, I don't think she meant it as a factual statement. I believe she was just giving a very general baseline to make the point that if michelle ups her calorie allowance she will probably get better results since she is working out so much. I think michelle was just trying to quote kelley to thank her for the advice, but it showed up as michelle's post.

@michelle-- as kelley advised, make sure you give this increased allowance at least 2 weeks to work before re-assessing your daily allowance. For me personally, I've found that any change in allowance (up or down) takes about 3 weeks to impact my scale. :smile:

@lilac, alyssa, and lorim-- welcome!

AFM-- I ended up going out with friends after school, so didn't make it to the gym. However, I did get in a good walk with gunner. We were dodging the raindrops, but manged not to get too wet.

I have a pedi appointment tomorrow afternoon; then I need to get some shopping done. Our hot water heater pilot light went out yesterday, and my DH couldn't get it re-lit last night. This has happened before-- it can be stubborn at times. :angry:

Grading Goals:
    Nothing!!! :)

Fitness Goals for the month of May:
    Visit gym minimum of 8 times 2/8 HA!
    Run at least 25 miles DOUBLE HA!

You vs Year Challenge:
    148 k done/ 852 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + mow lawn DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner DONE + weeded for about 30 minutes
    Fri-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner
  • Nikion901
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @niki-- when kelley wrote that about 1200 calorie minimum to michelle, I don't think she meant it as a factual statement. I believe she was just giving a very general baseline to make the point that if michelle ups her calorie allowance she will probably get better results since she is working out so much. I think michelle was just trying to quote kelley to thank her for the advice, but it showed up as michelle's post.

@michelle-- as kelley advised, make sure you give this increased allowance at least 2 weeks to work before re-assessing your daily allowance. For me personally, I've found that any change in allowance (up or down) takes about 3 weeks to impact my scale. :smile:

I didn't see Kelly's post, only what was credited to Michelle ... 1200 may be perfect for some people ... depending on their age, weight, height, gewnder ... at my current age, my own is not very much above that limit at my correct body weight.
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Hope this Memorial Day weekend finds you all with some time to relax, reflect, and enjoy some time with friends and family.

Officially lost 3.5 pounds since my last doctor's office check in. 32 pounds down since the first of the year, when I really started working on this with some level of sincerity. This is about the point in the past where I have said, oh look, I've lost four pants sizes... and my boobs stick out further than my belly... and then I decide I need a break... and all the efforts go to hell in a handbasket. I'm determined that that isn't going to happen this time. I don't know exactly what I'm going to do to keep it going, but I'm not quitting this time!

I am giving myself a little leeway this weekend, but Tuesday it is back on the wagon. We have a family picnic tomorrow, and if it is anything like last year, I'll be fine. In an effort to keep 82 year old grandma from trying to do too much, my mother in law decided to order the bulk of the cooked food for the picnic from a local restaurant. I showed up all ready for a fresh grilled cheeseburger and some pasta salad drowning in mayo... MIL had ordered up fried chicken and veggie salads. I am one of the 17 people in the world who doesn't like fried chicken. I really hope she doesn't do that again this year.

As for my contribution to the menu - I'm off now to make a several dozen whoopie pies for dessert.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @Nikion901~ Like Karen said, I was just giving Michelle a generalized baseline. Every body type is different, we all have different metabolisms and the caloric requirement is based on a number of factors.

@Karen~ What, no grading?! That's fantastic! Enjoy your pedicure today.

@celtikgirl~ Hooray for the loss! :star: Enjoy the picnic.

AFM~I hope the weather holds out this weekend so I can get out on my bike a couple of times. Other than that, I plan to do a little retail therapy and get one or two things in the freezer for when I'm laid up in June.

Everyone enjoy the long weekend!

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I've had a pretty productive day--did some running around including a trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond. Bought a spiralizer plus a few other things for the house (some not exactly on my list of needs :flushed:). Then spent some time working in the garage (boy, it was hot out there). Was going to do some clothes shopping but may do that on Monday. Got grocery shopping done today too. Rain/storms expected late tonight but the weather should hold out in the morning for a bike ride.
  • celtikgirl
    Options
    Non scale victory for me... made two kinds of whoopee pies for tomorrow's picnic and didn't eat any of them. I might have licked a beater or two, but I didn't eat the cookies! Which is good, because I drank a bottle of wine over the course of the evening at Wolf Trap. Only 150 calories over for the day.
  • Nikion901
    edited May 2016
    Options
    kah68 wrote: »
    @Nikion901~ Like Karen said, I was just giving Michelle a generalized baseline. Every body type is different, we all have different metabolisms and the caloric requirement is based on a number of factors.

Don't take offense as none was intended and I didn't know it was something you had advised as there were no quotations plus I had not read your post prior. My statement was to correct a common misconception or misstatement of a guideline that, as you say, was generalized (it sounded pretty definite)... advice given to new people needs to be carefully worded. Have a nice day!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Sunday Share ... this thread started way back on 8/17/2012 by one women who was looking for online support during, or just to share, her journey of needing to lose 100 pounds. She stayed active on this thread, along with several others, two of whom I know post on a regular basis to this day, even though the original poster had decided to quit posting on here in recent months.

There have been a lot of people who have dropped by, stayed a while, and gone only to reappear somewhere down the time line when they felt the desire/need to share. Some use this thread as a social network to keep in touch with the friends, real as well as virtual, that they have made. Other's turn to the thread in times of hope or need for sharing as they struggle with their own weight-loss dilemnas.

I found this thread back in October of 2014. Before then, I was too shy to post online about my own personal challenges with my body issues. This thread sounded so supportive, and the people where like me ... needing to trim off 100 pounds or more. I felt like I had finally found some folks who could understand some of the things I was struggling with.

After all, you don't get to be 100 pounds overweight by living healthy ... you overeat on junk food, eat too much of every food, move around too little, and often find excuses for why you are gaining instead of losing. You feel body shame and sometimes your dislike of your current situation boarders on self-loathing. At the same time you know that the people who 'only' need to lose a little bit of weight don't really get what you have been through while at the same time you realize that you were them at one time also. You wish you one of 'them' now; those with 10 or 20 or even 50 pounds to lose instead of the triple digits.

To everyone who reads and posts to this tread ... good luck on your journey. May you make the adjustments and forge the new habits in your own lifestyle that will support your weight lose goals. And, may you find the tips that you are seeking.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi everyone!

@niki-- great post for the newlings!

@celtik-- great job not eating the cookies!!

@kelley-- I also did some "non-essential" shopping yesterday. I usually don't buy clothing online, but a co-worker mentioned that Victoria's Secret is discontinuing their swimsuit collection and everything is on clearance. She also shared 2 coupon codes-- one for an additional 40% off swimwear (SAVE40SWIM) and one for free shipping if your order is over $100 (FREE100SHIP). I ended up buying 2 swim cover-ups, a pair of swim bottoms, and two sports bras for $114. Hopefully, they will all fit, but if not, I can easily return them to a store.

AFM-- Our hot water heater is on the fritz, so DH is disassembling and cleaning the burner unit. On the plus side, this forces me back to the gym if I want a hot shower today. Yesterday. after walking gunner, I mowed both mine and my neighbor's lawn (they are out of town), then did some weeding so I got a good calorie burn from that.

I've neglected logging food or exercise for the past couple of weeks, and the scale has stayed at 195 so I think I've got this maintenance thing down. Now I need to return to logging in order to get the scale moving down again.

Sunday Share:
    Since there have been several newlings over the past week, I will re-introduce myself. I'm karen form Chicago. I teach HS English Lit and Public Speaking, so during the school year, I tend to post a list of grading goals to go along with my exercise goals. My biggest challenge to losing weight is always balancing work and life. I'm prone to pushing aside time for myself to exercise and prepare healthy meals in order to grade and prepare lessons for my students. Admittedly, I also push aside health and fitness for social activities with friends and family. I'm better at this balance than I once was, but it's still a struggle. I'm really looking forward to next week when school is out and the "work" piece of the puzzle is greatly diminished.

I've been on MFP since March 2011 with a starting weight of 247. I got down to 185 and maintained that weight for a couple of years; then, a combination of a shoulder injury and an really nasty upper respiratory infection made exercise very difficult. As a result, I've gained 10 pounds throughout this last school year. My goal this summer is to lose that 10 and start working on an additional 20 or so to reach a goal of somewhere around 165. I don't know if that's my "ideal" weight, but at 185 I was starting to fit into a size 10 and my goal is to be in single digit pants for the first time in my adult life. I don't know if size 8 is maintainable for my body, but I will never know if I don't try. :smile:

Visit gym minimum of 8 times 2/8 HA!

You vs Year Challenge:
    148 k done/ 852 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
    Mon-- walk gunner
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- going to the zoo after work, so lots of walking
    Fri-- rest day (end of school year party
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    I hope the quiet thread means everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend. I went to my sister's and ate a bit too much, but even with all the treats, I'm only about 400 over goal.

Tomorrow is the last day with students, and since my seniors are done I am taking a half personal day to get my hail done. After that, it's just three days of finals and then I'm off for the summer.

I made it to the gym yesterday for the first time in weeks. Today, I just walked gunner, but also was outside playing with my niece all afternoon, so it was a somewhat active day.

Visit gym minimum of 8 times 3/8 HA!

You vs Year Challenge:
    151 k done/ 849 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Fri-- rest day (end of school year party
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • jenhasit
    jenhasit Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread. Hi! I'm am going to lose 160+ lbs.

My first goal is 100, and I'm down 19 towards that.

My life got crazy sedentary for awhile... just trying to get back to 10K+ steps a day and add more active minutes... all while logging my fuel each day.

I'm looking forward to reading more as days pass :)
  • Nikion901
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Finally pulled the Italian prune plums out of the freezer that I buried in there last plum season. They are covered in small ice crystals because I kept them in the freezer for too long a time, but they still taste very very good.

June starts at midnight tonight but I'm not making any new goals. Just going to keep plugging away at the old ones. All rather nebulous and not extremely specific.
    Cook more meals than I purchase of prepared ones.
    Move about more than sit at the computer or on the sofa.
    Remember to be kind to others and to self
  • celtikgirl
    Options
    So excited for my niece and her husband who are now the proud parents of twins! I'm a great aunt two more times! Now, I need to get my tail up north to see them, hopefully this coming weekend.

Did OK over the weekend, enjoyed food at the cook out on Sunday, but tried not to go too far overboard. I did get my cheeseburger and baked beans, but managed to keep the portions down on the Mac salads and stuff. Need to spend some quality time in the gym this week.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @celtik-- Congrats!!

@niki-- I also need to continue with my previous goals. I didn't even come close to meeting any of them.

@jen-- welcome!

AFM-- One of my friends is head coach of our Boys Volleyball team and I have several players on the varsity team, so last night, I went to watch their sectional playoff game. They WON!!! That means Friday they will play in the state tournament. The game is local, but begins at 3. Our admin said as long as we get all of our professional responsibilities done, teachers can leave early to go support the team. It will be a fun end to the school year.

Today, I really caved in to all of the carbalicious treats some colleagues brought in from Panera and DD. Fortunately, all of my yard work burned enough calories to make up for the indulgence. Tomorrow, I'm going to an evening event at the zoo with some friends. We went to a similar event in the winter and it was lots of fun. I imagine it will be even better in warm weather. As of right now the forecast looks dry, so crossing fingers that it doesn't change.

Fitness Goals for the month of June:
    Visit gym of run outside minimum of 10 times x/10
    Run at least 25 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    151 k done/ 849 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + mowed lawn
    Fri-- rest day (VB game)
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • neomellojenn
    neomellojenn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have 139.2 lbs to lose. I'm new here. I need friends!
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    June is shaping up to be an interesting month. I lead new student orientation for my department, and because we are such a popular major, we have students every single day. One of the perks of working NSO is that you are provided a free lunch from anywhere in the student union. So my choices are Sbarro, Burger King, Chi Fil-A, sushi rolls, a Greek pita & gyro place, and the somewhat more traditional campus cafeteria. The cafeteria doesn't share calorie counts, but it's food service grade stuff - today's menu was a grilled pain with chips, or a mountain of fried rice. It does have a basic salad bar, though.
    I try to keep lunch under 400 calories, but unless I want to eat nothing but iceberg salad for the next four work weeks, that doesn't seem like it's going to happen.
    It's kind of unbelievable how hard it is to eat low calorie on this campus. If it weren't for all the hills, everyone would be little blimps.
  • celtikgirl
    Options
    Hi all! Welcome to the new folks, keep coming back!

I'm so excited for my trip home this weekend that I'm ready to get in the car and start driving right now. Problem is, about halfway there I would be falling asleep and it would no longer feel like such a good idea. Can't wait to get me some new baby smell! As an extra added bonus, I'll get to spend a little time with my daughter and the grands too!

Packing for the three day trip took longer than I anticipated. It turned into a round of clean the closet. I found a few things stuffed on a bottom shelf that fit me now, a few things that are too big, and I packed my size 14 Levi's because they make my butt look good. This time last year my jeans and shorts ranged in size from 20 to 24.

In spite of that little ego boost, I've been pushing the calorie limit this week, so I'm not sure I'll see a loss when I weigh in tomorrow morning. It is what it is. Gotta play to win.

Have a great weekend everyone!