WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    884004ikaypxy3c5.gif Becca, congrats on your successful driving adventure through city and country...you are a hero... <3 sending hugs to you and your hubby as you await the results of the tests..stay in the moment and don't be making up stories with scary parts.

Will do my friend.....(((hugs)))
    Becca
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Becca: What a brave strong woman you are. o:) I can only imagine how difficult the drive to the hospital in the city was for you. Add to that, you're DH resting in the seat beside you, and the holiday weekend traffic - I say well done. <3 Sending you (((hugs))) that DH test results come back soon and the doctors have a diagnosis and plan of action to address liver issues completely.

Barbie: Sending (((hugs))) and condolences for the loss of Jake's daughter. It so is difficult when a child leaves this world before us. So sorry for your loss. :'(

Joyce: Thinking of you ((( <3 ))) and Charlie and praying his recovery is going well today.

Welcome to all the newbies, so happy you decided join us!

Thank you for all the nice compliments on the pictures of my daughter's 18th birthday party and her Prom (May 14th), that part of life has been lots of fun. The Braid: in Her hair from Prom was called a waterfall braid. She found the hair style on line somewhere and then we watched videos on YouTube to learn how to do it. YouTube is filled with how-to videos of all sorts of things. :smiley: She dances competitively which often requires a hair change for each dance, thus the reason we sharea love of learning new hairstyles.

DH new job starts on June 1st! Yeah! We are spending time this weekend figuring out the health, eye, and dental plans. We are probably going to select a high deductible health plan instead of a PPO this time to keep the premiums- $$$ reasonable - we need to set up a health savings account as well. If any of you have a HDHP and can offer advice it would be much appreciated.

My DS #2 leaves for Germany in just over 2 weeks!!! DD graduates from high school in less than 2 weeks!!! Only 8 more days of school left this year ~ woot woo :smiley::D>:)

I did nothing today of any importance, just re-energizing for what coming up....

<3 Rosie in So Cal
  • Annr
    Options
    Marcelyn~ Glad you weathered the rain. It's scary when you don't have any choices when it comes to the weather...what is the saying....

Whether the weather be fine
    Or whether the weather be not,
    Whether the weather be cold
    Or whether the weather be hot,
    We'll weather the weather
    Whatever the weather,
    Whether we like it or not.

don't freak...I googled it...I don't have that great of memory!!
    Becca
    Oregon (where its raining presently)
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Annr
    Options
    Michele in NC~ He was able to have breakfast at 8 AM which was just a bowl of cereal...but yep he went without any food until AFTER the procedures, so about 6:15 PM. He was grouchy after the procedures because during the biopsy they kept asking him stuff...he was like "let me sleep, and of course because he was hungry.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    wow...a few days of not reading due to shift work and i am pages and pages behind. Love a chatty group.
    My DIL and grandkids have been here for 2 weeks but are returning to northern alberta tomorrow. I took the kids (8 and nearly 3) swimming and out for dinner so their mom and dad could go on a date for their 11th anniversary. Between work and kids i dont have any time for myself!
    Becca- i understand the frustration of waiting for results. My sister is just starting down the same journey: having been recently diagnosed with stage 4 cirrhosis and a grossly enlarged spleen. This is all due to an autoimmune process. She is really mad and wants something done right now but she is not nearly sick enough. Apparently in BC they do not do living donors for livers although they do for kidneys. My daughter is the only family match as my sister is ab neg and we are all 0 pos except my daughter who is 0 neg ( she got that from my dad!) But....another surprise....my daughter is pregnant!!! she is very excited as is her fiance....they are getting married on july 30 so a good thing a transplant is years away. Hope your husband gets positive answers.

I keep saying that i am going to get my shite together and now it is the end of may and i am in the same boat as i was at the beginning of the year. Not sure what it is going to take. Trying to be mindful of what i eat

karen from BC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Becca, I've been thinking of you and sending good thoughts & prayers for you and your family. Barbie's advice is perfect. Stay in the moment and don't make up scary stories. :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    MicheleI am so glad that you are an optimist about the tumor. In the fall, I had a large tumor removed that turned out to be more an annoying recovery from surgery rather than something serious. I am a cat lover – I wish I could take all three. Too cute.

BeccaI am so glad you posted a long report. I will be thinking about you this weekend and hoping that the results come in by Tuesday. Portland has wonderful medical care.

Joyce Your post was wonderful on so many levels: your DH and daughters wanting to be with each other. That must bring you so much comfort. I am glad that things worked out at what has to be an incredibly stressful time.

Marcelyn Enough with the drought relief already. We had 22 out of 23 days in May with rain, very heavy at times, but not nearly what you have experienced, or is expected to hit the Carolinas this weekend. Stay safe and keep “sawing away” as we used to tell my sister who beame a professional violinist.

Beth. Back pain has to be one of the most misunderstood maladies because it can be caused by so many things and manifests itself in an equally diverse fashion. I hope that DH finds a solution soon so that he can get weaned off the pain mediation soon. The side effects must be simply awful. It seems that where back injuries are concerned, the cure is sometimes worse than the disease.

Barbie You do such an incredible job holding this group together. Please save a reserve of strength for you and Jake at this difficult time.

Heather I feel so disappointed for your son. To be so close to getting 2 dogs, only to have to go through such a horrible ordeal. I hope that he can get lots of visits with the girls during the recovery time. From the bond that already has developed, I just know that he will be a terrific pet parent.

Cheri – Thanks for the update. It looks like everyone in your family is in transition to one thing or another. I have some colleagues who specialize in job hunts in the region you are looking to settle. DM me.

Lenora-wouldn’t it be great if DGD could become you chauffer? What a great way to improve diriving while performing an act of service. Although I am not sure who be performing the greater service.

Margaret, I wish your DH news could be better.

Rori Your DB is so lucky to have you as he begins his difficult journey to sobriety.

Instead of feeling sorry for myself about DH reentering hospice, I decided to distract myself by relaying the brick patio. The process is this-
    1. pry out bricks
    2. clean brick of any weeds, roots, or dirt that may be attached to it
    3. remove any large roots or bury them deeper if they interfere with the height of the surface when the brick is put back
    4. replace brick, adding gravel or sand in hole to even height of bricks;
    5. when all bricks are cleaned and replaced, add white sand in all the interstices in the patio
    6. sweep vigorously in several directions to make sure that all the crevices are filled.
    7. By tomorrow, I hope to be able to complete the last step – stand back and admire patio,
    The work isn’t the most professional as it has taken a few days to find the rhythm. However, the price is right and it is keeping me busy and away from binge eating. My only problem – I don’t see brick laying as one of the exercise choices for MFP. ;)

Memorial DayFor all the service families who have made the ultimate sacrifice, know that it has not been in vain. We are safer and stronger world because of this.

CJ
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    Options
    CJ - I had such traumatic memories of pet ownership from my own childhood, I never wanted, or want to be, responsible for a pet again. I don't even have houseplants, apart from a couple of herb pots. My children were not allowed animals, except a homicidal goldfish somehow sneaked in. I gave him to a neighbour.
    My elder son used to "petsit" the neighbours cats for pocket money and had girlfriends who were serious dog people. He never thought he could own a dog because of work and sport commitments. Then he found out about the retired greyhounds, which seemed a perfect fit for him.
    He has been so excited about this adoption - literally all he could talk about. I just hope things end happily. He has done so well to come through years of severe depression.

We are going to defrost the freezer tomorrow (a public holiday). It's bulging with ice. :ohwell: Today I'm going to start on one suitcase. Just bulky stuff. The garden is in need of urgent attention, but I'm not in the mood. I weeded the veggie beds yesterday. Can't get excited about the flower beds. I am panting towards finishing my Norwegian course. :D

Love Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    very fitful sleep last night, was up 3-4 times to hit the bathroom and tossed and turned alot,but we both got up at 5:30....had an english muffin and tea. and will get dressed in a little bit.. then off to feed DFIL .. then home, Tom will work more on the bulkhead... our parade starts at 2 pm, but don't think I will go..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    rori so glad prom was a happy event for your DD. We are 3 days and counting to my DD Prom and there is a too much drama surrounding it. My girl has got her self tangled up in some messy mean girl stuff and I think she has decided to engage back instead of walk away. DH has said she's got to make her own decisions, I agree, doesn't make it easier thinking she is walking into something painful not happy. Got to let go.
    We r headed to Arlington cemetery to pay our respects as we do every year. Always profoundly sad yet inspiring. This country is so blessed. Karen from ny
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    :)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Good morning and Happy Sunday to all! I had 163 posts to read this morning! Took the better part of an hour, but worth the read/time as always. Joyce, Michele, Becca, and Barbie, please know you are all in my thoughts and prayers. My heart is with you all <3
    Heather- thinking of your son and his adopted fur babies. Hope all goes well for the dogs and for your son. Animals fill such an important place in our hearts.
    Anne- I also spent all day yesterday getting the yard mowed and everything crossed off my to-do list so that I can enjoy the long weekend. Yea for you! Yea for me!
    Beth- My dh had also been on an a couple of really potent pain killers for about 20 years. He didn't take them every day, only when the back pain kept him in bed. Just last year the pain got to the point that he couldn't move at all without assistance from me. He couldn't get out of bed, in and out of sitting positions, dressed, use the bathroom, open jars or bottles, lift a gallon of milk from the shelf in the fridge to the counter...All of this required my help. I was terrified that my 49 year old husband was going to be this way for the rest of his life and terrified for what my life would become as a caregiver who also had to work full time. That is when his gp referred him to a rheumatologist and he got his RA diagnosis. The doctor told him that he had never seen RA that severe in a younger person (49 is considered young for RA). While it was a sobering diagnosis bc we knew it wasn't going to go away; it was a relief to know what it was and that it is treatable. He is now off the pain killers. The RA meds seem to be handling the back pain. He is still in pain every day. He is no longer able to do a lot of things. BUT he can still get through the day, go to work, take walks, etc. Relief. I will continue to keep you and your dh in my thoughts every day. Prayers and well wishes for some relief for you both.

Found this wonderful sight in a tree in my yard. Mama Robin built her nest within 6 feet off the ground.?? I was kind of stunned it was that low, but what a sight to see!8jhahctkt7cs.jpg

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot a couple of other things I wanted to share: I have a little guy in my daycare, he is two and a half. He has a habit of always having something tightly gripped in his hand. Sometimes it is a marble, sometimes, a rock, sometimes a bug (roly-polies seem to be his favorite). Anyway, I always have to check his fist when he comes in from outside. I forgot on Friday. We were outside playing after lunch and came in and settled down for rest/nap time. I glanced at him asleep on the sofa and saw his hand was in a fist. Little white knuckles he was holding it SO tightly. So I opened his hand and he had a bee! It was still alive and flew right out, never stung him! Boys!
    The other thing I wanted to share, which you all probably have your own treat or recipe for is frozen yogurt. I have discovered the wonders of making my yogurt smoothies with berries and freezing them in popsicle form for these hotter days of the year. This is something I remember making when I was a kid. Funny it took me this long to remember this treat.
    That's all. Blessed Memorial Weekend. A weekend for remembering and honoring those who gave everything for us. But a big thank you for all who served. Thinking of you Becca and your boys.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    KJ ~ Love the bird's nest and baby birds.

Becca ~ Your car is cute. I love the house in the background behind it. Do you live in a neighborhood of old Victorian homes. I would love that.

KLanders ~ Sorry your daughter is in the middle of a girl fight. At least she is not backing down and hope she is on the positive side of whatever is going on.

Michelle, Becca, KJ, Beth and Others ~ Hoping healing will be a blessing to all of you and yours.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    OMGoodness the newborn robins! One of my favorite colors is Robin Egg Blue along with Sunflower Yellow! Thanks for sharing and I hope mama bird get there soon with some food! Thanks for the pic KLanders.

Cheri
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    :)

More rain... yeah!!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,317 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Perfect Bank Holiday weekend. En route to visit my daughter.

Reading some posts but posting on phone is dire.

Irish Terri :heart: Ireland in the sun!

pav1viebea73.jpeg